Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > External HD Problems

External HD Problems
cman8
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2006, 07:13 AM

Hey Guys,
My external HD is started making a skipping noise last night and then just quit, now I cant even mount it or nothing, its almost as if the heads are parked and dont read anthing. can anybody help? can I open it up and see if its stuck or something? please I need the things that are saved on that HD, so if anyone can help, I will appreciate it greatly. Thnaks..

Nai no Kami
Senior User
Jul 12, 2006, 09:13 AM

Today I'm in the list mood:

a) I don't want to be an über idiot, but please read (and apply) the forum guidelines.

b) Your HD is probably in or entering the Heaven Of The Mass Storage Media. I have tried, with enormous success, an app called Data Rescue. It could read and save files from an internal drive that won't even mount. Using the software it can still be accessed when thrown into an USB case.

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

Forum Links
Forum Rules