Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > No More HD Space

No More HD Space
cman8
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2006, 05:30 PM

I was downloading a torrent when my computer froze, so I restarted it. I had about 4.12 gb when I started downloading, and when My computer froze I should have had around 3.85. Now after restarting I only read 2.9? where did that one gig go? this has happend to me before, how do I fix this where do I look? thanks Im getting pretty mad about this.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2006, 06:07 PM

I'm guessing that maybe it's the file that you had partially downloaded through the torrent?

Look for where you have your torrent software set to download incomplete files.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2006, 08:31 PM

What laptop do you have and how big is the HD? Because 4.12 GB of empty HD space is seriously not enough. You'll start experiencing weird behavior, etc, etc. Stalling, quitting, losing data, you name it.

I've got 1.25 GB of RAM, just restarted today, and OS X is still using 6 GB of Virtual Memory, namely 6 GB of HD space. No page-outs, but that's a whole bunch of HD space taken up by VM, on a 60 GB HD.

Back up your data immediately and start deleting stuff. You should have minimum 10% empty HD space, but probably a minimum of 5 GB is best.

cman8  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2006, 02:19 AM

I cnat find where the incomplete folder might be. any ideas? I need to get another external sionce mine crashed about 2 months agao. I appreciate your help.

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2006, 11:14 AM

Do a search using spotlight for torrent files or the name of the file you where downloading.

cman8  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2006, 12:33 PM

I tried that. I think what happens is that when I restarted and opened my torrent client, it started downloading the file all over again from zero and what was already downloaded stayed as 200 or so mb on my HD. so now I dont know how to fix that.

shecky
Aug 20, 2006, 12:49 PM

do a finder search of your entire drive for all files over 500MB

cman8  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2006, 02:33 PM

how would you do that?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2006, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by cman8
how would you do that?
In Finder, go to the "File" menu-->"Find..."

Where it says "Kind," change it to "Size," and then "Greater Than" 500 MB.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

jvicinanza
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2006, 09:58 AM

I suggest that you download either 'Disk Inventory X' or 'Grand Perspective' (my fav) these neat apps provide a graphical view of the contents of your disk. The bigger the square the bigger the file. This should help you find those pesky massive files.

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2006, 11:17 AM

Another suggestion is to download the free "What Size"

Also, in the above suggestion to use "Find", in addition to searching by size, add another criteria to search by "visibility". You do this by going to the "other" category, then scrolling thru the list until you find "visibility." Then you set the criteria to "visible and invisible" and save it as a "favorite."

Forum Links
Forum Rules