Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > New Quick Reply and Reply bbcode shortcuts not working.

New Quick Reply and Reply bbcode shortcuts not working.
Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2008, 12:09 PM

The shortcuts for things such as quote tags and such act as images for me. Anyone else?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2008, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
The shortcuts for things such as quote tags and such act as images for me. Anyone else?
Testing.

Yes, you are right. It's dysfunctional, just like our Hampstor.

Wow, how annoying.

-t

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2008, 12:36 PM

Quick Reply also seems to be refreshing the entire page, and choosing edit goes into advanced automatically.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2008, 01:12 PM

Wow, just checked, on IE, the only option I get is [QUOTE], you can't even do [Quick Reply], [URL] or [Report Post]

-t

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2008, 01:14 PM

I'm sure one of the admins is cursing the vBulletin "upgrade" as we speak.

reader50
Administrator
Jun 4, 2008, 01:40 PM

When one clicks on a user name, there is a missing option in the mini-menu. I think it's "add user to buddy list", or maybe "add to ignore list" is missing too.

There is a black rectangle outlining the Quick Reply box. It wasn't there before.

The who's online page no longer auto-refreshes per the AdminCP control setting.
( Last edited by reader50; Jun 5, 2008 at 12:56 AM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2008, 01:43 PM

Multi-quote seems to be fubar as well.

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2008, 01:45 PM

PPD is missing from the profile (not calculated).

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jun 4, 2008, 01:49 PM

The text editor buttons are dead as well (in FF3 RC1, at least).

It's dying ......

OreoCookie
Jun 4, 2008, 02:39 PM

One more admin-related bug: I can't view soft-deleted posts anymore. Works fine with soft-deleted threads.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 4, 2008, 05:09 PM

Not important, but the bottom of the forum needs to say 3.7.1 rather than 3.6.8.

As for everything else, yes this box is fubared, something IS missing from the username drop down (I think it's add to buddy list as reader said) and soft-deleted posts give an invalid thread.

Edit: Editing goes straight to advance as said before.

Edit 2: Despite things being broken, the forums seem damn speedy and hopefully the clocks are fixed.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2008, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
Edit 2: Despite things being broken, the forums seem damn speedy and hopefully the clocks are fixed.
Don't know about that.

I got server busy errors this afternoon

-t

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2008, 06:41 PM

rod ksy na laaind!

See, I actually typed "The sky is falling!".....weird.

Demonhood
Administrator
Jun 4, 2008, 06:49 PM

man. so much to fix.

there are also some new and cool features, which i'll get into once i make sure they're implemented correctly.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 4, 2008, 08:22 PM

I've noticed that the smiley buttons don't work in the quote page, and the "...more" link underneath the smileys gets you the same quote page you're on...

And the "quick reply" message box looks different. I don't know if it's intentional, but it has a "groove" effect instead of a raised, radiused look.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2008, 10:17 PM

Someone stuck a crow bar into the hampstor wheel.

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2008, 10:21 PM

yeah, hampstor!!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2008, 10:25 PM

I know I'm going to sound like a complete a-hole in my saying this, so I apologize in advance, but the whole "oh, an update is out! I'll try applying it to the live system and see what happens" approach makes me shudder, especially since this approach has failed time and time again.

Just saying.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2008, 10:35 PM

Oh shuddup. We all know you hate the hampstor

If you could, you would perform a leg transplant w/o giving the hampstor any anesthesia.

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2008, 11:00 PM

The hampstor needs a leash or something because it is out of control. I think it must have given turtle777 rabies.

Demonhood
Administrator
Jun 5, 2008, 02:50 AM

i had no idea 3.7.1 was even out yet. i'll get to cleaning this stuff up shortly.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2008, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
If you could, you would perform a leg transplant w/o giving the hampstor any anesthesia.
With how much trouble the poor thing is having today, that would probably still be a kindness.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

OreoCookie
Jun 5, 2008, 05:56 AM

The report abuse dialog's layout is broken, too.
Inline editing works again (thankfully).

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 5, 2008, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
i had no idea 3.7.1 was even out yet. i'll get to cleaning this stuff up shortly.
Monish did the update, then? Or reader?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2008, 11:34 AM

Or the hampstor himself ?

Could someone just pull the hampstor's admin rights ?

Just lock him in the wheel, w/o network connection.

Oh, wait, nevermind.

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 5, 2008, 11:54 AM

Hampstor doesn't have a keyboard—we're afraid he'll hurt something so he doesn't get one. There are a number of people who are not "regular staff" that have higher access than I do, and could have performed the update, but I'm not sure who it was at the moment. Not an issue really, because there's always something broken when anyone does a vBull update. It's just that this one seems to have broken more stuff all at once. DH and crew will have these things fixed in due time, though sometimes it takes a little longer to get to the root of what's causing the problem.

By the way, these feedback posts are really important to us finding and fixing glitches and outright broken stuff. I don't use a lot of the features of vBull most of the time—things like the quote and inline image buttons, for example, so I'd never know if they were working properly unless someone told me. So thanks, everyone, for helping us out and pointing out (and even sometimes complaining about) when stuff doesn't work.

Railroader
Banned
Jun 5, 2008, 06:56 PM

Why has no one created a joke account named "Hampstor" yet? Should be made an automatic admin (or permabanned instantly).

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2008, 07:36 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if it was taken already. Didn't check though.

-t

reader50
Administrator
Jun 6, 2008, 04:54 AM

On the profile pages, Join Date and Last Activity are not shown. The title "Join Date" appears, but both of the actual dates are printed in invisible ink.

On the profile pages, the link "Add ____ to your ignore list" is present. But the "Add ____ to your buddy list" is missing.

In the menu bar at the top of each page. "Quick Links" popdown has gaps in the options. I think one was "Edit Buddy List" in the UserCP. Not sure about the other gaps.

In the UserCP, the link to Edit Buddy List is missing.

The black outline box that appears around the Quick Reply. It also appears around a post being inline-edited. There isn't supposed to be a black box in either location.

Staff-related bugs:

On member profile pages, the "User Options" link is missing. We need this link for our deal-with-spammers workflow. It's also needed for our catch-ban-evader research, and for general email sales.

In the ban list, the reasons are all [shown in brackets] now, which looks distinctly weird. When there is no reason, the field used to be blank. Now, we get [N/A], which looks weird too. At least it's consistently weird-looking. Can we ditch the [brackets]?
( Last edited by reader50; Jun 7, 2008 at 02:00 AM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2008, 01:22 AM

It looks like search doesn't work either.

Do you guys need more volunteers for help with technical stuff?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2008, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
It looks like search doesn't work either.

Do you guys need more volunteers for help with technical stuff?

Why would you volunteer for the technical stuff?

That's like being in the army without getting to shoot people.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2008, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Why would you volunteer for the technical stuff?

That's like being in the army without getting to shoot people.

Because I feel like a jerk sometimes bringing these sort of things to the attention of others and getting frustrated about the repeated administrative mistakes that are made around here knowing that I'm capable of contributing to correcting this. I sometimes feel like I ought to volunteer since I post here so bloody much.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 7, 2008, 02:05 PM

yeah, hampstor!!
I actually agree with besson on this.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2008, 02:17 PM

I sometimes feel like I ought to volunteer since I post here so bloody much.

Honestly, I think that's really cool.

I just love that analogy so much I can't resist sometimes.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 7, 2008, 02:57 PM

Because I feel like a jerk sometimes bringing these sort of things to the attention of others and getting frustrated about the repeated administrative mistakes that are made around here knowing that I'm capable of contributing to correcting this. I sometimes feel like I ought to volunteer since I post here so bloody much.
Remember that we're all volunteers here as well. And what you think of as "administrative mistakes" may just be that we don't get to something in as timely a manner as we might like. Plus there's how bloody convoluted and spaghetti-like the combination of vBull and our customizations is. The PHP alone is awe inspiringly confusing. I have a BS in computer science, so I think I have some standing here; it's immensely complex and just figuring out what specifically is borked that's causing a problem can be very time consuming.

I think we may need to work on how well coordinated we are in performing updates, but other than that, for an all-volunteer shop I think we do pretty well.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2008, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Remember that we're all volunteers here as well. And what you think of as "administrative mistakes" may just be that we don't get to something in as timely a manner as we might like. Plus there's how bloody convoluted and spaghetti-like the combination of vBull and our customizations is. The PHP alone is awe inspiringly confusing. I have a BS in computer science, so I think I have some standing here; it's immensely complex and just figuring out what specifically is borked that's causing a problem can be very time consuming.

I think we may need to work on how well coordinated we are in performing updates, but other than that, for an all-volunteer shop I think we do pretty well.

Glen, please pardon me for sounding like a complete jerk, but with all due respect your excuses are lame.

The issue is not the time it takes for you guys to get to stuff, I fully appreciate the complexities of maintaining a patched version of code which is often updated, and coordinating busy volunteer schedules.

The issue is your processes...

I'll just be perfectly blunt:

1) Making updates to a live system rather than a development branch: unacceptable
2) Not being able to account for all of your code changes: unacceptable
3) Not fully testing changes before they are made live: unacceptable

I realize this sounds combative, but let me qualify what I mean by "unacceptable". I don't mean unacceptable in that I expect more as a customer or something, because I realize that this is a free board, you guys aren't paid, etc.

What I mean by unacceptable is that these things can be completely avoided, and that there is no excuse which justifies this. Just like with everything, there is a balance between being forgiving of your own mistakes, and taking them seriously as to prevent them from happening again. Again, with all due respect and with apologies in advance for sounding like a jerk: how many times have you guys made these same mistakes? I would guess dozens. These are avoidable, simple as that. So, the "it's hard" sorts of excuses don't really go very far with me, as much as I like all of you guys.

What you guys need to do to prevent this from happening again:

1) Put vBulletin into a Subversion repository - one for your production code, the other for development code (head)
2) Create a subdomain called hampstor.macnn.com
3) Create a simple little PHP script to make snapshots of your database
4) Checkout your vBulletin code to the document root of hampstor.macnn.com, point vBulletin's config file at your database copy. You now have a sandboxed development environment.
5) Make changes to your development environment, invite your moderators to test these changes. Get the people making these changes to properly comment them as follows:

[codex]// macnn besson3c 20080607
// quick quote Javascript
... code goes here ...
// end besson3c macnn[/codex]

6) When a new release comes out, do a:

[codex]grep -r macnn /path/to/production/vBulletin[/codex]

To find all of your code changes. Create a new Subversion branch for this new version, start merging in changes either by hand or via svn merge
7) update your hampstor.macnn.com to point to this new Subversion branch. Get your testers testing the changes
8) Check them in when everything is working, check them out to your production site by switching svn branches.

Wash, rinse, repeat...

Does this sound like a lot of work? Honestly, I often wonder if what you guys are doing in scrambling to fix crap every time stuff breaks when you try to update your live copy of vBulletin isn't 10 times more work.
( Last edited by besson3c; Jun 7, 2008 at 04:28 PM. )

Railroader
Banned
Jun 7, 2008, 03:43 PM

So do I. And lately everyone has been doing a very good job. Well done.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 7, 2008, 07:04 PM

besson, you're right about how things WILL go wrong when you update a live system without testing. I'm not disagreeing with you on that at all. But your suggestions are well taken and we'll discuss them right away. We don't like these "did you know that X doesn't work?" surprises any more than you do. Of course we should notify everyone that we've done an update too. It shouldn't be a mystery to anyone whether we've updated the system.

Railroader, thanks! It's nice to get somegood feedback, especially here.

Railroader
Banned
Jun 7, 2008, 07:55 PM

Of course we should notify everyone that we've done an update too. It shouldn't be a mystery to anyone whether we've updated the system.
This is a Good Idea™.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 7, 2008, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
This is a Good Idea™.
This is one of those things that one of my math teachers from my earliest years in college called "intuitively obvious to the most casual observer" but which only becomes obvious at all after having one's nose rubbed in it.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2008, 09:28 PM

ghporter: I know the gig is thankless, and I'm sorry if I came across brash, I realize that I'm pretty intense and hold high standards when it comes to tech stuff...

For what it is worth, I do think that the overall tone around here has improved a great deal. Credit is due, I think... We may have some differences of opinion as far as the philosophically ideal role of moderation here, but perhaps what I've been wanting is too idealistic and impractical. I hope my sentiments here give the impression that I don't mean to be hyper-critical of everything and everyone

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 8, 2008, 10:06 AM

Mods now have the ability to upload attachments, I don't remember it being there before.

Also, I was just asked to type my password to verify my legitimacy to delete a post, then I got an invalid response error.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 8, 2008, 10:35 AM

Mods now have the ability to upload attachments, I don't remember it being there before.
I think only admins had that before? The only person I can remember ever using it is Tooki.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 8, 2008, 10:39 AM

As usual, the code tag ignores line breaks and the codex tag parses smiles unless you tell it not to.

OreoCookie
Jun 10, 2008, 06:13 PM

control + s to send quick replys still doesn't work … 

Forum Links
Forum Rules