Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Need help to connect external display to macbook pro so I can install Windows 7!

Need help to connect external display to macbook pro so I can install Windows 7!
jcamilophoto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2010, 03:00 PM

Hi! I have a huge problem... A few weeks ago, my macbook pro 2,4ghz fell into the ground and broke the display! The total cost to fix it is 700€... Almost 960dolars... I'm buyng a iMac 27" i5, but I would like to use this macbook pro connected to an external display..
So far, I've been able to connect it to an external display acting as primary display (it took me an hour to acess the system preferences, as I had to drag the system preferences from the broken macbook display to the external by trial and error)...

My only problem is that I installed bootcamp with a partition of 32gb in Fat32 to later instal Windows 7...
I was going to install windows in the day I broke the macbook pro display...
So now, when I want to log in to OSX, I have to press the Alt key on the mac to choose the OSX partition... I'm only able to do this by trial and error... I've managed to acess OSX by clicking the Alt key, and after a few seconds, I press right Arrow and down arrow and hit Enter...

Only after I do this procedure I'm able to use the external display...

Is there any way I can use the external monitor from the moment I press the power button on the macbook pro, so I can use it to install windows 7??!

I've tried to hit Command+F7, F7, but that doesn't work when I start up the computer.. Only after log in!

Thanks in advance for any tip!

Cold Warrior
Feb 17, 2010, 06:31 PM

If you power on the macbook pro then immediately close the lid, it will force the display to the external. This assumes your lid is in decent enough condition to close.

ibook_steve
Feb 17, 2010, 07:53 PM

You could have originally just put the external display in mirror mode (F7 (or fn-F7) key on older MBPs, not sure what it is on newer machines) or closed lid mode (see the sticky at the top of the forum, but you need an external keyboard and mouse and must be attached to power). This would have been much easier than figuring out how to drag the System Preferences window.

As for booting into this, if you've got closed-lid mode working, it should always boot correctly whether you are in Mac OS X or Windows.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

FlipinFin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2010, 10:07 PM

relate to ur issue. So im asking if u succeeded to install windows 7 through boot camp and external display with lid closed. Ive tried before though when my external dvd reads windows disc it shutsoff my external display and turns on my broken display on macbook pro even with lid closed any help would be appreciated from any other viewers

jameselew
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2010, 05:19 AM

I have same issue using macbook pro, windows 7 boot camp, can't startup with lid closed and external display.

Forum Links
Forum Rules