Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Why do OSX browsers download PDFs?

Why do OSX browsers download PDFs?
KeilwerthSX90R
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2002, 04:59 PM

A small thing that bothers me is that every PDF I view using a browser in OS X is downloaded. I suppose in Windows browsers they are downloaded into a temp folder somewhere and latter deleted. Is there any way to have OS X automatically purge certain folders every so often. I would set my browser to store the PDF in a temp folder and then get OS X to delete it every so often.

Thanks,
Josh

p.s. what programs does the services menu work with in 10.2? Can I email files my clicking on them and using the email in the service menu?

cpac
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2002, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by KeilwerthSX90R:
A small thing that bothers me is that every PDF I view using a browser in OS X is downloaded. I suppose in Windows browsers they are downloaded into a temp folder somewhere and latter deleted. Is there any way to have OS X automatically purge certain folders every so often. I would set my browser to store the PDF in a temp folder and then get OS X to delete it every so often.

Thanks,
Josh

p.s. what programs does the services menu work with in 10.2? Can I email files my clicking on them and using the email in the service menu?
First, I believe a large part of the problem (or at least a significant part of it) is that Adobe hasn't written a .pdf plugin for OS X that works yet. However, I would think with all the native OS X .pdf capabilities, that it wouldn't be too too hard to make OW, e.g., display a pdf like preview does (although there's the issue of the extra interface widgets and whatnot, and possibly some weird cocoa-carbon problems). It probably wouldn't be that hard to write an applescript that deleted .pdfs that download to a certain folder, but you'd need to look for more of an Applescript guru than I am to help you out.

Second, the services menu works with a lot of programs. Many of the services require text to be highlighted before they will work, and yes you can email files just by selecting them in the finder and choosing "Finder->Services->Mail->Send File" from the services menu.
cpac

Subzero Diesel949
Oct 8, 2002, 07:34 PM

For one, Internet Exploder is a shoddy carbon port that cannot recognize any OS X apps or OS 9 plugins. Even selecting the OS 9 version of Acrobat causes the file to be downloaded and displayed in Preview.

OW has no plugin capabilities for PDFs, therefore straight download.

I don't know about the others.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2002, 10:16 PM

I think it's good that PDFs are downloaded and viewed in a separate app - Apps should do their own thing well - Browsers are browsers and PDF display Apps are PDF display apps - adding the ability to view PDF documents into a browser would be bloat as far as I am concerned.

Bloat = slow + more bugs.

Anyway - If you wanted you could use an applescript to delete the items - if you are running Jaguar you could even attach an applescript action to your download folder that would move new files with the .PDF extension to the wastebasket (maybe after a delay so Preview can load the file first ).

You would have to specifically "save to�" somewhere else if you wanted to keep the document of course.

brachiator
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2002, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
If you wanted you could use an applescript to delete the items - if you are running Jaguar you could even attach an applescript action to your download folder that would move new files with the .PDF extension to the wastebasket
Or, how about just keeping the default d/l folder, and setting a cron job to purge it at a given time of all PDFs?

I don't know how to write a cron job, or I would give specifics, but someone else will know...

good luck

Mactoid
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2002, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by brachiator:
I don't know how to write a cron job, or I would give specifics, but someone else will know...
Here's an example you can add to your crontab to delete all the pdf files from ~/Downloads that haven't been accessed for more than 1 day. This will run everyday at quarter after midnight.

Code:
15 0 * * * find ~/Downloads -name "*.pdf" -atime +1 -exec rm -f -- {} \;
We hope your rules and wisdom choke you / Now we are one in everlasting peace
-- Radiohead, Exit Music (for a film)

manfreds
Oct 10, 2002, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by KeilwerthSX90R:
You need a browser plugin to display PDF inside the browser.
Turn your web browser into a great PDF viewer � with PDF Browser Plugin

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2002, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by manfreds:
You need a browser plugin to display PDF inside the browser.
And as if by magic - someone just posted one to version tracker.

What a weird world.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/16527

sra
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2002, 07:24 AM

And as if by magic - someone just posted one to version tracker
But it doesn't work with OmniWeb or Chimera.

manfreds
Oct 11, 2002, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by sra:

But it doesn't work with OmniWeb or Chimera.
The next version will work better with OmniWeb.
( Last edited by manfreds; May 25, 2003 at 11:17 AM. )
Turn your web browser into a great PDF viewer � with PDF Browser Plugin

Forum Links
Forum Rules