Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Opinions about refurbed iBook dangers?

Opinions about refurbed iBook dangers?
Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2002, 09:54 AM

I need to score a 14" iBook to get my folks started on the Mac (they find 14" more attractive for DVD-viewing).

I notice that Apple seems to have unloaded a couple dozen refurbished 14-inchers on Small Dog - who is offering them for $200 off the usual price ($1600 instead of $1800). I could sure use the cash to get another 512MB of memory - a lot more valuable to us than the "FREE" (rebated) inkjet printers and other stuff that the catalog sellers want to throw in. (And nobody seems to have a "free memory" bonus thrown in with their 14'' deals.)

What are the potential risks of an Apple-refurbed unit? (It does have usual 12-mo manufacturer's warranty). Whatcha think? Anybody done a refurbed iBook? Anybody know what kind of problems Apple's been refurbing them for mostly? Thanks for your insights!

Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2002, 04:52 PM

The only thing I worry about w/ iBooks is the design flaw that causes the inverter board to short out. This causes teh backlight to flicker on and off all the time. very annoying.
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me
AIM - iTikki [NEW AND IMPROVED!]
http://www.tikkirulz.com

tacojohnellenich
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2002, 11:10 PM

I got a refurb iPod through apple this last summer and I couldn't be happier! Everything works perfectly fine- it even looked new when I got it- all wrapped up nice and new ear buds

about the iBook- I've got mine May 2001 and haven't looked back- no backlight problems- nothing! Great computer! Now I want a G4 with 23"

Mutant
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2002, 03:22 PM

I bought a refurb Rev A TiBook about one year ago last July for almost 700 Pounds (I live in London) less than new ones were going for at the time.

Aside from the box (grey, with 'Apple Refurbished' stenciled on it, not pretty like the ones new machines come in) there is absolutely no difference between this and the more expensive computer.

It came with the standard Apple warranty, and included all other accessories (cables, etc) that brand new computers came with.

I saved enough to purcahse an IBM TravelStar 30GB hard drive, some more memory, and still spent less than I would have for the 10GB brand new laptop.

I full reccomend it, and in fact have been looking on Apples web site for refurbed iBooks. In the UK they seem to be going for about %35 discount of full value.
TiBook (400Mhz, 256MB, 30GB, Airport) / iMac 350 (350Mhz, 384MB, 4B, AIrport) / iMac DV+ (450Mhz, 320MB, 20GB, Airport) / PowerMac 5500/275 (64MB, 20GB) / Mac TV / Mac SE / iPod (5GB) / iPaq 3850 / Sony AIBO (just for fun)

Dave N
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2002, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by Love Calm Quiet:
I could sure use the cash to get another 512MB of memory - a lot more valuable to us than the "FREE" (rebated) inkjet printers and other stuff that the catalog sellers want to throw in. (And nobody seems to have a "free memory" bonus thrown in with their 14'' deals.)
If you look on the apple store site, they are now offering a 512mb memory upgrade on the 14" ibook for $40. This makes a total of 640mb.

Just a couple of weeks ago, the "double your memory for $40" deal didn't apply to the 14" ibook. Are they trying to move some out to make room for the new ibooks?

siluni
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2002, 08:41 AM

Small Dog has a good reputation, for one thing. Their refurbs come with a one year factory warranty.

I believe AppleCare is available for refurbs too.

dagmar
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2002, 11:27 PM

I have been a SmallDog customer for years, and have purchased numerous refurbished machines from them. Never had one problem, all questions were answered within 24 hours. My original beige G3 came from them, and after many upgrades by me, is still performing flawlessly; I even have a refubed 6360 bought from them which my daughter used in college, which my son still uses for the internet. I certainly feel that refurbished is well worth it: I've heard it said that if something major is going to go bad in an electronic device, it usually happens during the first six months. I can also highly recommend SmallDog

Forum Links
Forum Rules