Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Cross Platform Video Chat

Cross Platform Video Chat
KeilwerthSX90R
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2003, 03:31 PM

I am looking for a cross platform video chat similar to iChat. It would be between OS X and Windows XP. I would like it to be as easy to use as possible. Does MSN offer video chat for OS X? AOL IM? Anyword on when iChat may be compatible with other services?

Another possibility is Virtual PC. Would MSN with video chat function decently using VPC on a 1 Ghz or up G4?

Thanks,
Josh

MacPino
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2003, 07:07 PM

The only app I'm aware of that does video cross platform is Yahoo! messenger. But it sucks big time in the frame rate/ quality department.

You might be better of with something like quicktime broadcaster on the mac side, and the windows media equivalant on the pc side, streaming to eachother. Not elegant, but if will work (as long as your not chatting with a lot of different people)

I don't think MSN would work nice with virtualPC. Choppy all the way!
proud daddy!

JellyBeen
Senior User
Aug 10, 2003, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by KeilwerthSX90R:
I am looking for a cross platform video chat similar to iChat. It would be between OS X and Windows XP. I would like it to be as easy to use as possible. Does MSN offer video chat for OS X? AOL IM? Anyword on when iChat may be compatible with other services?

Another possibility is Virtual PC. Would MSN with video chat function decently using VPC on a 1 Ghz or up G4?

Thanks,
Josh

This will work well Mac-->Pc.
It works with NetMeetig too..

http://xmeeting.sourceforge.net/ohph.../ohphoneX.html
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

KeynoteHQ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2003, 06:24 PM

There are several other options for video chat for both PCs and Macs.

iVisit offers a free client and free server access for video chats. The difference here is that you use their server to connect.

IspQ Video also offers free downloads. I have not tried their service.

CUseeMe also works cross platform as I recall. There site was down that last time I checked...

None of these are quite as good as if PCs had AV iChat , but they will work...

teknologika
Aug 11, 2003, 07:06 PM

A major problem I found is different feature sets between mac and windows versions of different clients. For example Yahoo Messenger can do Video cross platform but not audio !

I personally found the quality of iVisit to be very poor as well.

ohphoneX to net meeting is probably the best quality available, but you can run in to Audio quality problems as well.

Hopefully SOMEONE (hint hint apple) will build a decent client on both the Mac and Windows with feature parity.

pizzaMR2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2003, 09:48 PM

Too bad msn messenger for mac dosn't have the video/web cam avalibility like the messenger 6 for PC

JellyBeen
Senior User
Aug 11, 2003, 11:17 PM

I can't believe how far-back we all are in video conferencing...I mean, this technology is not new , its been around for a while...It seems ichat has come close to that though. Hope they can make it PC conpatible too. Just combine parts of oPhoneX or something..
Here's hoping.
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

Forum Links
Forum Rules