Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Windows, aliases and OSX

Windows, aliases and OSX
Sych0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2003, 06:57 PM

Ok, so Im having a little trouble. When I click the network icon in the sidebar, it takes me to my network. My 2 pc's appear and when I access one, it asks for a login and password. I enter the info and all is well. There are sometimes however, especially after the ibook wakes from sleep, when i click on one of my pcs and goto one of the shared folders, i get "the original item cannot be found" (no login box either) I assume its an alias. My question is how do i force it to connect and give me the login box every time? After some fiddling around ill get it. Or if i reboot, i always get it.

I know i can connect with the connect to server, but the problem is all my mp3s on the pc were loaded into itunes via the other method. If i use connect to server, it still doesnt see them.

Any ideas as to what I can do?

Thanks in advance.

stefls
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2004, 06:22 PM

hi there,

I'm having the same issue as Sych0; I'm on quite a vast network with a lot of workgroups and available shares. Unfortunately, my mac (running 10.3.5) fails to see many pc's that are available (checked with windows pc) and only shows working groups. And if it does see an available share and after trying to connect it also reports "original item cannot be found".

Connecting smb shares through direct IP adresses is no problem.

Anyone an idea?

Thanks.

quadgrande
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2004, 09:56 AM

I get the "alias not found" error when browsing, and a finder crash when mounting via smb://server/share:

mount_smbfs: No credentials cache found krb5_cc_get_principal

I think Apple should stop advertising windows networking abilities until they actually get it working. In my history of using these features, messages such as "Unable to complete (Error -36)", etc are common and completely useless. I find it extremely ironic from such a user-friendly oriented company.

dirtbikephil
Aug 17, 2004, 02:14 AM

I agree w/quadgrande. It's very disappointing that Apple is trying to make it seem like it's so easy to view and connect to PCs when in reality it's very inconsistent. The network finder hardly ever sees the PCs connected on my wireless network. Shame. Hopefully they fix this soon.

The ironic thing is that the Windows PCs show the Mac in "My Network Places" every time w/out having to choose "Connect to Server" like on the Mac.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 17, 2004, 09:16 PM

When a Mac wakes up, it doesn't always revalidate its network environment. That means that it may not "remember" how to find the other members of the network. You can choose to disconnect and reconnect, which will force the Mac to renew its memory of where the rest of the network is.

This isn't an "Apple thing," it's a software flexibility thing; a lot can happen when your Mac is asleep, and the programmers couldn't forsee all possibilities. This is one of those possibilities.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

stefls
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2004, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by GHPorter:
When a Mac wakes up, it doesn't always revalidate its network environment. That means that it may not "remember" how to find the other members of the network. You can choose to disconnect and reconnect, which will force the Mac to renew its memory of where the rest of the network is.

This isn't an "Apple thing," it's a software flexibility thing; a lot can happen when your Mac is asleep, and the programmers couldn't forsee all possibilities. This is one of those possibilities.
(Still haven't solved any of the networking issues)

Also when my computer has not been asleep it shows odd networking behaviour. Sometimes it does show macs only, sometimes only windows working groups with no available servers in these working groups, sometimes it shows the before mentioned aliases, sometimes it doesn't and usually I cannot connect. A pc running xp can connect to the available servers. I can only conclude that networking capabilities in Panther have not yet matured enough, or am I wrong? Anyone some tips and tricks?

BTW, GHPorter, I don't quite get what you mean: of course a lot can happen and things can and will go wrong from time to time, but not all the time! Technically it is possible to integrate seamlessly in a windows dominated network. My machine does not and I expect Apple to live up to their integration promises, even if my computer just woke up.

Besides this, Panther does a helluva job.

stefls
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2004, 06:56 PM

dp

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 29, 2004, 10:48 AM

I didn't say that this problem was a good thing, just that it isn't exclusively an Apple problem. Many Windows machines have problems when resuming from standby or hibernation too.

In the case of having "weirdness" happen while your Mac is operating and part of a primarily Windows network, that is probably because one or more of the Windows machines joined the network, left it, or changed its configuration in a way that affects network resources. Networked Windows machines are notorious for altering the network without notice.

The bottom line is that I think Apple has really worked hard at making Macs able to integrate into heterogeneous networks, and that you shouldn't blame them for the fact that some of those networks are unstable or unreliable.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules