Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Am I the Only One Worried About My Watch Scratching My PowerBook?

Am I the Only One Worried About My Watch Scratching My PowerBook?
STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2004, 02:57 PM

I just bought a 15" PowerBook and can't stand to type on its keyboard while wearing my metal watch. I just feel certain that it's going to scratch up the wrist rest area. Am I the only one with this fear? Surely it happens.
Apple user since 1987

firefly
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2004, 03:00 PM

You could take the watch off, you could also change the strap to a leather one...

Skip Breakfast
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2004, 03:01 PM

I stopped wearing watches two years ago. I don't miss wearing one.
PowerMac G4 Gigabit 1.2GHz, 896MB, 2x 80GB WD SE, Pioneer 107, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

Macintosh TV

Ryan1524
Senior User
Nov 15, 2004, 03:07 PM

i worry about that too, that's why i have a resin watch, and luckily, only the resin touches the powerbook, never the metal clasp on it. but yea, i worry about it too. and when my friends wanna use it, i ask them to take of their metal watches.
Ryan

STAT  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2004, 03:14 PM

Thanks for the replies. But I'm not going to quit wearing a watch or change the band. First of all, I think all men should wear a watch (just part of the uniform) and second, my watch would look dumb with a different band. It's a badass Luminox Marine with Tritium:

Apple user since 1987

PBG4 User
Senior User
Nov 15, 2004, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by STAT:
I just bought a 15" PowerBook and can't stand to type on its keyboard while wearing my metal watch. I just feel certain that it's going to scratch up the wrist rest area. Am I the only one with this fear? Surely it happens.
Yes, you can count me in on this one.

What I do is unsnap the clasp and wear my watch higher on my arm. This way it can't touch my laptop and I don't have to try and remember where I put it if I had taken it off instead.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

PER3
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2004, 04:14 PM

Thanks for the replies. But I'm not going to quit wearing a watch or change the band. First of all, I think all men should wear a watch (just part of the uniform) and second, my watch would look dumb with a different band. It's a badass Luminox Marine with Tritium:

Holy ****!!! His watch runs on radioactive Hydrogen-3 (Tritium)!!!

http://www.epa.gov/radiation/radionuclides/tritium.htm

STAT  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2004, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by PER3:
Holy ****!!! His watch runs on radioactive Hydrogen-3 (Tritium)!!!

http://www.epa.gov/radiation/radionuclides/tritium.htm
Close. Doesn't run on it, but has it in it (on each of the numbers and the two big hands). And don't act so startled...it's pretty common stuff. Pistol night sights, some watches, etc. It's used because it glows all the time (well, for about 10-13 years) and doesn't require light to "charge" it. These watches rock.
Apple user since 1987

Skip Breakfast
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2004, 05:59 PM

I think all men should wear a watch (just part of the uniform)
While I agree that it's a fashionable accessory, it's not part of a "uniform". However, when you're left-handed and mouse with the right, the watch tends to mess with your wrist. Moreover, I have a mobile phone with the time on it. No need for redundancy.
PowerMac G4 Gigabit 1.2GHz, 896MB, 2x 80GB WD SE, Pioneer 107, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

Macintosh TV

Squozen
Nov 15, 2004, 08:26 PM

I stopped wearing watches when the battery ran out. My laptop, organiser and iPod have the time, so I'm well set.

STAT  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2004, 08:40 PM

Originally posted by Skip Breakfast:
I have a mobile phone with the time on it. No need for redundancy.
Originally posted by Squozen:
My laptop, organiser and iPod have the time, so I'm well set.
Whenever I see a "guy" have to consult his cellular phone/iPod/laptop/PDA/daily planner/purse for the time of day, I usually assume he's having a gender crisis. As I was raised here in Texas, there are a few things that as a man, you carry on your person at all times: watch, billfold, pocket knife, and optional gun. I know that it was not only like this at my house. I mean...didn't any of you guys have fathers???
Apple user since 1987

msuper69
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2004, 09:00 PM

Whenever I see a "guy" have to consult his cellular phone/iPod/laptop/PDA/daily planner/purse for the time of day, I usually assume he's having a gender crisis. As I was raised here in Texas, there are a few things that as a man, you carry on your person at all times: watch, billfold, pocket knife, and optional gun. I know that it was not only like this at my house. I mean...didn't any of you guys have fathers???
LOL!

Gotta luv them Texans! It's like a whole 'nother country.

Back on topic. My TiBook (original model) is worn down where my hand/arm rubs against the case. Whoop-de-doo. Big friggin' hairy deal. That just makes the Mac look rough and tumble. It's called character.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2004, 09:22 PM

Whenever I see a "guy" have to consult his cellular phone/iPod/laptop/PDA/daily planner/purse for the time of day, I usually assume he's having a gender crisis. As I was raised here in Texas, there are a few things that as a man, you carry on your person at all times: watch, billfold, pocket knife, and optional gun. ......

In Tennessee, we also carry the mandatory Jack Daniels or Moonshine.......

Fiete5401
Nov 15, 2004, 09:27 PM

I'm taking off my watch as soon as I enter my flat.
Nobody hurts my lil babe!
My real life started at the age of 15: LC III - PowerMac 6100/66 - PowerMac B&W 350 - PowerMac G4 Cube 500 - PowerBook 12" 867 -- PowerBook 17"/1.67 GHz/2 GB RAM.

powerduck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2004, 09:52 PM

my watch would look dumb with a different band.
That's unfortunate. Those with watches that wouldn't look dumb might consider these:http://www.silverfoot.com/catalogue/webbing.html Dunno if they are fashionable in Texas. They are in the great Northwest.

Flumpus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2004, 10:00 PM

I'm from Texas, have always worn a watch (and carried a wallet and pocket knife as well), am left handed, and have started taking my watch off when I use my Powerbook. I know the wrist area will get worn down, but I'd rather it not have scratches from my watch.

Ryan1524
Senior User
Nov 15, 2004, 10:10 PM

i'm not a texan, but i find it very annoying to use my cellphone for time. having to pull it out o my pocket, etc is very time consuming. it's much much easier to just do the swift motion on your wrist.
Ryan

mrmister
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2004, 03:35 AM

"Whenever I see a "guy" have to consult his cellular phone/iPod/laptop/PDA/daily planner/purse for the time of day, I usually assume he's having a gender crisis. As I was raised here in Texas, there are a few things that as a man, you carry on your person at all times: watch, billfold, pocket knife, and optional gun. I know that it was not only like this at my house. I mean...didn't any of you guys have fathers???"

Charming. First the White House, now the MacNN forums.

I kid. The answer is to remove your watch, or get a different watch band, or use a protector for the palm rests.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2004, 03:53 AM

Maybe you just need a good watch.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2004, 04:06 AM

OK Mr. Texas, here's the deal:

If - in order for you to rest assured of your maleness - you depend on wearing a metal watch you might as well get comfortable with the idea of a scratched PowerBook.

Or replace the PB with Fisher Price's 'Little Professor' which is made of 100% plastic and won't scratch as easily.

Or of course you could just take a look inside your pants from time to time in order to rest assured about your gender.

It's that simple.
( Last edited by Simon; Nov 16, 2004 at 04:14 AM. )
•

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2004, 08:51 AM

Cool, I have the Navy Seals Variant =)

except, I got it in Stainless Steel. I love the stylings, and it's glow is VERY functional. better than stuff like indiglo since it always glows, doesnt drain battery, and is quite bright. it's also cool consiering how i dont need to press a button to activate it.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2004, 09:59 AM

About the watch scratching my 15 Powerbook, that's the first thing that came to my mind. So I stopped wearing my watch when I work on my computer.

sray
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2004, 10:39 AM

I have been wearing a stainless Steel band on my wristwatch and I have not had any scratches at all. I was quite worried about this but after 8 months of use, I can say that it is extremely unlikely that you will scratch up an Alu-notebook. Don't know about the older Ti-books though.

Voch
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2004, 10:43 AM

I don't even wear long-sleeve shirts (out of personal preference, not because of my TiBook). My TiBook still looks great.

Voch

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2004, 11:10 AM

Your Options:

1) Stop wearing the watch
2) Get a new band

3) Wear some type of protective device over the watch or on the powerbook.

I don't see any other options.

benwhanlee
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2004, 11:54 AM

okay...so checking the time on my cell phone means i'm having an identity crises? but the fact that you're worrying about scratches on your laptop means you're a real man?

i kid, i kid...
15" Al PB 1.67, 15" Ti PB 667, Power Mac 400

Dougmc
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2004, 12:30 PM

When I first got my 17" PowerBook, I remember being very conscious of my metal watch band scratching across the surface of my new joy. But, now nearly a year-and-a-half later, the honeymoon is over and I've grown less cautious of cosmetic safeguards. Don't get me wrong, I'm still trying to be careful to make sure I don't damage the machine. But as far as the watch situation goes, I'm not taking it off, and I'm not finding myself being so careful to make sure that my long sleeves are pulled down over the watch all the time.

Having said that, I don't have a single scratch on this PowerBook.

I do notice the occassional metal-on-metal sound and do what I can to avoid it without hindering my workflow. Still no marks.

Additionally, this machine simply isn't showing much wear at all. I'm a photojournalist and my cameras start "brassing" (showing wear and scratches through the paint down to the metal) within a number of months of use. Although I take very good care of my camera equipment to keep it in working order, I also know that they're designed to function perfectly regardless of what they look like.

I'm surprised of the condition of my laptop. It's holding up very well.
17" PowerBook (delivered 4/2/2003) | www.mcschooler.com

perbl
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2004, 12:47 PM

Yai, let's construct a thread, so I can have a nice excuse to show off my fancy watch

Honestly, I would think it is pretty self-explanatory that you just remove the watch if you are so tied to your costume of steel watch and large belt-buckle

NKT
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2004, 12:54 PM

Solution to your problems: Post it notes. Stick a few of these on the left wristpad, your scratching worries are over. I've been using them for 2 yrs on my powerbook and have no scratches on it (I always wear metal band watches). They might not be super attractive, but you can always swap them out when they get grungy, or even use them to jot down numbers and notes. HTH!

StiZeven
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2004, 01:25 PM

So what's the big deal about that watch anyway? Looks like all your other watches out there. Give me a Raymond Weil any day. Take the thing off if you don't want to scratch your PowerBook.

On a side note, how sad and truly pathetic is it that people who are stupid enough to vote for Bush - and who "praise the lord" are also allowed to carry a GUN? Middle America simply NEEDS to go. Please, take your Wal-Mart chains and your so-called 'morals' (based on hate, fear and ignorance) and your obese relatives with you too.

I know, I know - take it up in the Political Forum. No thanks, it's all been said above.

brapper
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2004, 02:50 PM

on my tibook it's not even my watch that's messing up my paint...
In fact the side on which my bare wrist rubs on the edge is worse than the watch side.
Looks like hell after 3 years.

Guy Kuo
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2004, 03:52 PM

Just get some clear Avery brand laminating sheets and cut some pieces to fit the palm rests of the Powerbook. Peel and stick on. They are pretty much invisible and protect the aluminum finish. I also covered the top of my Titanium as well as my 12 in AL with the Avery laminate. Works great. Peel off and replace in about 6 months when you see some wear of the plastic. Any residual adhesive wipes off easily with rubbing alcohol.

As a result my machines have zero scratches on their top and palm rests despite heavy use. Also waterproofs the top of the PB.

hldan
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2004, 10:06 PM

My response may come across as rude but it's not intentional. Take the damn watch off. You just knocked out a great deal of money on a beautiful computer, it ain't gonna hurt to remove the watch if you don't wanna scratch it. It's just a watch. You can't hit the "Edit" button and select "Undo" after scratching the computer.
( Last edited by hldan; Nov 16, 2004 at 10:58 PM. )
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

STAT  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 16, 2004, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by StiZeven:
On a side note, how sad and truly pathetic is it that people who are stupid enough to vote for Bush - and who "praise the lord" are also allowed to carry a GUN? Middle America simply NEEDS to go. Please, take your Wal-Mart chains and your so-called 'morals' (based on hate, fear and ignorance) and your obese relatives with you too.
Typical sheepish liberal.
Apple user since 1987

Musti
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 17, 2004, 01:52 AM

Typical sheepish liberal.
Typical Liberal that makes sense (hence the "typical").

I see no point of interjecting partisan politicism in this thread, and see little point in "disturbing ****" as being Canadian, so to answer the original thread starter: I don't know if you're the only one, but I made a habit of taking off my watch upon arriving home when I bought my first PowerBook.

wilsonng
Senior User
Nov 17, 2004, 02:45 AM

You could try TiArmor

http://www.vixinc.com/

It's a transparent plastic coating that you can place on the wrist area as well as the top of your PB.

It comes in "clear" to show off your PB as well as "grey" to hide existing scratches.

crazeazn
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 17, 2004, 06:37 AM

i'm from texas:

i carry the following, wallet, watch, pocketknife and optional handgun

when using powerbook i remove the watch. the end.

"On a side note, how sad and truly pathetic is it that people who are stupid enough to vote for Bush - and who "praise the lord" are also allowed to carry a GUN? Middle America simply NEEDS to go. Please, take your Wal-Mart chains and your so-called 'morals' (based on hate, fear and ignorance) and your obese relatives with you too. "

matter of fact i'm not stupid, sad, nor pathetic. i'm a conservative and by all means bush can be an idiot sometimes but at least he has some degree of skill to become president. i'd like to see you run for office.
12" AI book REV B, mac mini core duo 1.66

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2004, 01:59 PM

I take off my watch when I use my PowerBook.

Fusion
Senior User
Nov 17, 2004, 09:26 PM

If I am wearing my metal watch, I just take it off before typing. I wear my leather one most of the time though, so I don't have to worry about it.

zolagol
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2004, 10:15 PM

i bought a wireless keyboard
works fabulously
the watch issue was a factor
of course when i'm mobile, i take the watch off...
Mac. When you want something that works. Period.

PER3
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 18, 2004, 08:10 AM

Close. Doesn't run on it, but has it in it (on each of the numbers and the two big hands). And don't act so startled...it's pretty common stuff. Pistol night sights, some watches, etc. It's used because it glows all the time (well, for about 10-13 years) and doesn't require light to "charge" it. These watches rock.
Got me...

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2004, 08:55 AM

AWWW MANN...I was about to buy one of these 500 GB beauties:

http://www.g-raid.com/Products/G-RAID.cfm

Now I have Luminox watch fever! Gonna plunk down $560 for one of these:

http://www.watchzone.com/cgi-bin/wat...oduct/View/930

Well since I read my bible, own a Heckler Koch compact 45 and wanted Bush to win I'd better get my fat relatives together...'Um A MOVIN' TA' TEXAS.

The Wolf
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 18, 2004, 10:13 PM

I can't seem to find them on Google, but I know someone makes a transparrent piece of plastic that sits on the plam rests. I was lucky enough to get my Ti back from having the top case repaired with one of these on it. At first I thought it was just some protective thing they put there for shipping purposes (and it may have been). But it is perfect for protecting the metal. In fact, I peeled it off of my Ti and I now have it on my AlBook.

I really can't imagine taking my watch off to type. If someone knows of a link can you please post it b/c: (1) I'd like to get one the fits my AlBook better (the Ti palm rest area was about 1/4" smaller; and (2) since the plastic is now about 3 yrs old it's starting to look a little dirty around the edges.

Thanks.

hldan
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2004, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by The Wolf:

I really can't imagine taking my watch off to type. If someone knows of a link can you please post it b/c: (1) I'd like to get one the fits my AlBook better (the Ti palm rest area was about 1/4" smaller; and (2) since the plastic is now about 3 yrs old it's starting to look a little dirty around the edges.

Thanks.
I'll bet you can if you place a scratch on your lovely Mac and there's no way to remove it.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

cobra27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2004, 10:48 PM

Hi,

Seems like what you guys need is a wrist rug (sorry, the site is in Japanese, but just need to look at the photos).

It is a Japanese product, but over here in Asia, it is sold everywhere...even the local Apple Centers have them.

Evidently, you can get them in US as well, check out this PhilMUG forum link (search for the words "wrist rug").

Don't need to change watch, or take them off .
1GHz PB 12" / 768MB / 60GB / OS X 10.3.9

Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2004, 10:00 PM

The technical aspects of this thread having been taken care of, I'd like to address the chest-thumping horology.

"badass Luminox Marine with Tritium" ... "I have the Navy Seals Variant" ...
I hope neither of you guys actually think that any Marine or Navy SEAL actually wear these. Right? These are commercially-licensed consumer products. Around here jogging girls wear them to show how serious they are about their stairmasters.

I'm pretty sure the watch you wish you had is the Stocker & Yale SandY P650 Type 6 military. This was standard issue to Army Rangers, Army Special Forces (the so-called Green Berets), the Navy SEALs (Sea, Air, Land), and the multi-service EOD (Explosives Ordnance Demolition) teams. To date there have been three rounds of P650s: 1995, 1999, and 2000. All seem identical, save the date on the caseback and box.

The non-reflecting black reinforced-polyester injection-molded case is about 46 mm lug-to-lug, 45 mm wide, and 10 mm thick. Issued with a 20 mm black nylon wristband, it's designed for a 22 mm one. (Don't ask, I have no idea.) As might be expected of a timepiece issued to the folks first in harm's way, the P650 is labelled as water- and shock-resistant (although it do better than just resist water given that SEALs spend a good bit of their time underwater). A sapphire glass covers the watch.

The dial is best described as stark, with thick, high-contrast white lettering on a matte black background. Very easy to read. Standard 12-hour markings with 24-hour annotation. The distinctive radioactive tri-foil symbol appears on the watch face, as does the H3 (Tritium) notation, because the hour positions, the zero position on the unidirectional bezel, and the hour and minute hands each have a brightly-glowing vial of tritium gas. Taken together they contain less than the personal limit of 25 millicuries. (U. S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission regulations 10 CFR 30.15.)

The P650 is incredibly bright at night, far too bright for a soldier in the field to wear without a covering watchband. When I take it hiking it can be seen from a good distance.

Issues I have with the P650: the bezel is somewhat next to useless because it moves too freely, hardly something that one could use in a critical situation. The lack of a tritium vial on the second hand makes exact timing and synchronization of events pretty much impossible in low-light situations; whither cost-cutting or poor engineering (let the vial ride on the short part of the second hand if necessary) it seems a thoughtless omission.

Stocker and Yale make only a small number of P650s above their contractual requirements for the government. This surplus must be exported from the USA, per licensing agreements. The commercial marketplace is served by others who pay a royalty to Stocker and Yale. Several civilian variants of the P650 are currently available

Traser (UK, at right) offers a pretty straight-forward version. Luminox (USA, at left) offers their "Navy SEALs" model in five colors, black, white, yellow, red, and blue.
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

STAT  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2004, 10:15 PM

Well...! What have we here?! A watch afficionado, it seems. FYI, yes, I know that my watch isn't an issue watch. My needs do not require that it be.

Originally posted by Since EBCDIC:
I hope neither of you guys actually think that any Marine or Navy SEAL actually wear these. Right? These are commercially-licensed consumer products. Around here jogging girls wear them to show how serious they are about their stairmasters.

I'm pretty sure the watch you wish you had is the Stocker & Yale SandY P650 Type 6 military.
And no, jerk, I don't "wish I had the Stocker & Yale P650". In case you couldn't tell from my previous post, I'm very happy with what I have, thank you very much.
Apple user since 1987

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2004, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by cobra27:
Hi,

Seems like what you guys need is a wrist rug (sorry, the site is in Japanese, but just need to look at the photos).

It is a Japanese product, but over here in Asia, it is sold everywhere...even the local Apple Centers have them.

Evidently, you can get them in US as well, check out this PhilMUG forum link (search for the words "wrist rug").

Don't need to change watch, or take them off .
You can order them from this website:

http://macimports.com/home.html

I emailed them the other day, and got this reply:

The RR's are leatherette and come in ivory, light gray (most popular)
and dark gray. We can special order one for $29 which includes express
mail shipping to you from Japan.

Our Paypal account for payment is [email protected]

Thanks,

Bill

Not that I'm getting one for sure, but I was interested.

I'm actually leaning towards the Avery laminate thing. I've heard from someone who has ordered Klear Advantage covers, that that's pretty much what they do.

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2004, 10:58 PM

Shoot - I just take my watch off. But, be careful! I've lost two of these watches by taking them off at the coffee shop and forgetting to put them back on! doh!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2004, 02:23 AM

Ohh, fake rolexes. About US$35 for a very, very good copy in Bangkok.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Forum Links
Forum Rules