Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Problem with VERY OFFENSIVE network name !

Problem with VERY OFFENSIVE network name !
hippyhop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2005, 08:10 AM

Hi I have a problem,

I have two 'closed' wireless network set up at home and run several airport enabled macs. I have the airport menu item in the menu bar enabled as I often need to switch networks and check signal strength.

The problem is a neighbour (well someone within 50 feet !) has recently purchased a wireless router and is broadcasting an open network, one which I can pick up. The thing is the network name is extremly offensive in use of language ! and I don't appreciate that network name appearing in my list of availble wireless networks !

Question:- is there a way of blocking that network so it doesn't appear in the list ?

I don't know who owns the network other than knocking on doors! (something I'd rather not do !)

Thanks !

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2005, 08:44 AM

If it's an open network, access the computer or send a message. Or you can contact your Internet carrier and file a complaint and see if they can do anything.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

hippyhop  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2005, 08:47 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
If it's an open network, access the computer or send a message. Or you can contact your Internet carrier and file a complaint and see if they can do anything.
I don't know how to send a message !

hippyhop  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2005, 08:57 AM

Is it possible to reduce the power of the aiport card(not the basestation) I can do this on a PC and It solves the problem !

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2005, 09:04 AM

What does this have to do with Internet carriers? The ISP has no control over what you do with your computer and will not care what you name your wireless network. That's even assuming that hippyhop and his unknown neighbour have the same ISP

hippyhop  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2005, 09:08 AM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
What does this have to do with Internet carriers? The ISP has no control over what you do with your computer and will not care what you name your wireless network. That's even assuming that hippyhop and his unknown neighbour have the same ISP
exactly ! What I need is a way to reduce the range of the individual airport cards in my macs

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2005, 09:09 AM

Originally posted by hippyhop:
I don't know how to send a message !
There's nothing you can do, short of going door to door or possibly going to the police, though I imagine the police will have better things to do with their time, assuming that it is even a crime. It may not be, freedom of speech being so important and all.

My recommendation, remove the airport status icon from your menu bar and ignore it.

hippyhop  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2005, 09:12 AM

There's nothing you can do, short of going door to door or possibly going to the police, though I imagine the police will have better things to do with their time, assuming that it is even a crime. It may not be, freedom of speech being so important and all.

My recommendation, remove the airport status icon from your menu bar and ignore it.
Damn, I thought as much ! The thing is the menu bar status is useful to me !

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2005, 10:19 AM

Perhaps you could set up 2 different locations under Network prefpane, one connecting to each WAP, and switch them from the Apple menu? I've never tried it, so I'm not 100% sure.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

hippyhop  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2005, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by C.J. Moof:
Perhaps you could set up 2 different locations under Network prefpane, one connecting to each WAP, and switch them from the Apple menu? I've never tried it, so I'm not 100% sure.
Nice idea, and it works but I lose the ability to see connection strength (from the menu bar)

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2005, 11:38 AM

Nice idea, and it works but I lose the ability to see connection strength (from the menu bar)
I think pretty much anything you do is going to restrict you in some way. There are, however, other tools available to see signal strength.

Naplander
Senior User
Feb 17, 2005, 12:19 PM

Do please share this "very offensive" network name with us

hippyhop  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2005, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by Naplander:
Do please share this "very offensive" network name with us
haha ! I am sure it would just render as a series of ***** ! ! !

hippyhop  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2005, 02:25 PM

I think pretty much anything you do is going to restrict you in some way. There are, however, other tools available to see signal strength.
I don't suppose you could point me in the direction of said tools ?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2005, 09:31 PM

Wouldn't the FCC have rules that would encompas this. To me its the equivalent of broadcast it over radio or television frequencies.

Wouldn't this cover it?
US Code
( Last edited by BLAZE_MkIV; Feb 17, 2005 at 09:40 PM. )

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2005, 10:27 PM

Just print out a letter and stick it in all the mailboxes of the houses near you.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 17, 2005, 10:51 PM

One reason for someone to use an offensive network name is to keep others from trying to use their network. The idea is that the name is so repulsive that noone would intentionally enter it manually. Obviously, that's not a problem for most of us (probably anyone with modern wireless equipment), since the software tells us what the name of any network within range is. That is the crux of this problem. If the neighbor's network name was "keepoutofmynetwork," then there wouldn't be a problem at all. If the name starts with a reference to a body part that is usually private, then mentions some potentially anatomically impossible act, then you have evidence of an insensitive (or immature or both) neighbor.

If you have an AirPort equipped laptop, it would be pretty easy to just walk around until the signal level for the offensive network name showed you where it was-apartment, house, whatever. Then you knock on the door and show the neighbor that their "little joke" is visible to a lot of people; people who really don't appreciate his broadcasting such language. That should at least get his attention.

From your spelling, I don't believe you're in the U.S., so USCode references really aren't an issue. On the other hand, Canada has a pretty strict set of rules for indecency, and the CRTC has a reputation for coming down hard on people that don't take the rules to heart. The UK has similar rules and similar enforcement. I believe this is also true for Australia and NZ, at least as far as "indecency" goes.

The bottom line is that some neighbor is broadcasting offensive material, and it's most likely illegal. The neighbor needs to know that it's been noticed, and that you're willing to bring it to the attention of the authorities if he doesn't change it to something that's NOT offensive.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2005, 12:32 AM

Why not just ignore it?... aren't there bigger concerns in your life?... geez what a dumb thing to let bother you...

Agent69
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2005, 09:06 AM

I agree; who cares if you are offended?
Agent69

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 18, 2005, 09:48 AM

I don't suppose you could point me in the direction of said tools ?
http://www.widgetgallery.com/index.p...irport&x=0&y=0
http://www.chimoosoft.com/apgrapher.html

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 18, 2005, 10:49 AM

Originally posted by Agent69:
I agree; who cares if you are offended?
I don't. Can we move on now ?

-t

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 18, 2005, 10:55 AM

If there's kids using the computer, I could see a little reason to be concerned.

Try and connect to that user's computer if it's open network. See if filesharing is on and hose the system.

Or create a new network asking for the name change.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2005, 12:08 PM

I was going to suggest the second suggestion; lock down your network (MAC filtering, encryption) but enable broadcast SSID so your network name does appear.

Hosing the other party's system might seem like a good idea but could potentially leave you open to legal action if you were ever caught.

Cheers.

Try and connect to that user's computer if it's open network. See if filesharing is on and hose the system.

Or create a new network asking for the name change.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 18, 2005, 12:51 PM

You could change your network name to something like "Dear person with the offensive network name, please change it". Though, that could result in a worse name

iPond317
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2005, 01:38 PM

Why are people even suggesting going to the police or filing a complaint? Damn, it's his/her network... so what if it's offensive? I don't think it's a crime to name your personal network whatever you want. Jeez... this thread is LAME!
iPond317 | ODU Apple Campus Rep
"Ten years ago down by the lake I sunk my sweet love down to her watery grave." - Hello Again | DMB

Old: Apple IIc, PowerMac 7200/90, iMac Bondi Blue 233, Titanium PowerBook G4 400 - New: MacBook 2.0, iPhone 8GB, AirPort Extreme Gb, iPod 30GB 5th Gen

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 18, 2005, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by iPond317:
Why are people even suggesting going to the police or filing a complaint? Damn, it's his/her network... so what if it's offensive? I don't think it's a crime to name your personal network whatever you want. Jeez... this thread is LAME!
I disagree. HIS network is interfering-albeit not electronically-with someone else's use of his own network. Plus, the offensive nature of the network name may be an actual crime.

If you don't like the thread, stop watching it.

iPond317
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2005, 01:51 AM

Originally posted by ghporter:
I disagree. HIS network is interfering-albeit not electronically-with someone else's use of his own network. Plus, the offensive nature of the network name may be an actual crime.
What's the harm in posting the network name then?
iPond317 | ODU Apple Campus Rep
"Ten years ago down by the lake I sunk my sweet love down to her watery grave." - Hello Again | DMB

Old: Apple IIc, PowerMac 7200/90, iMac Bondi Blue 233, Titanium PowerBook G4 400 - New: MacBook 2.0, iPhone 8GB, AirPort Extreme Gb, iPod 30GB 5th Gen

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 19, 2005, 02:40 AM

Originally posted by iPond317:
What's the harm in posting the network name then?
Don't be a jerk. The poster finds it offensive. Use your imagination.

hippyhop  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2005, 05:19 AM

OK, an update !

I tried renaming my network to a name that asks the offending user to rename his network ( hasn't worked so far !)

So, I set up an airport express with no internet connect and named it the same as the offensive network, it's also set to the same channel !

With any luck he will occasionally connect to my network when roaming, and find that he/she is presented with a wep password dialog.

we'll see if this forces them to re-assess the network name !

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 19, 2005, 09:42 AM

That sounds like a good plan. If the offensive network is as close to you as you say, it's likely that the neighbor will indeed stumble on your dummy network soon.

Now, if you could customize the key dialog to mention that the offensive network name is offensive, that would be great! Ah well.

hippyhop  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2005, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by ghporter:
That sounds like a good plan. If the offensive network is as close to you as you say, it's likely that the neighbor will indeed stumble on your dummy network soon.

Now, if you could customize the key dialog to mention that the offensive network name is offensive, that would be great! Ah well.
Hmm, that would be very cool, but how do I do that !

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2005, 07:26 AM

I think that this thread is very SILLY !
And there is no need to abuse exclamation marks !!!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2005, 07:33 AM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
I think that this thread is very SILLY !
And there is no need to abuse exclamation marks !!!
Then why do you read the thread and then post ?!?!?! And why do you put a space between your punctuation ??!?!?!?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 21, 2005, 10:00 AM

Did anyone consider that the owner of that network might not know it's got an offensive name?

It's very possible that the wireless router was installed by a layman with no clue about security, so they left it wide open, with the default network name of "Linksys", "default", or "Netgear". Then, someone else (say, another neighbor) logged onto that network, logged into their router (remember, pretty much every wireless router with the network name "Linksys" is still using the default admin password of "admin"), and renamed it for shits and giggles.

I'd probably not bother canvasing the neighborhood, because if someone named it on purpose, they're probably not the type to care, and if it's the second scenario, they won't know it's them.

Instead, I'd connect to the offensive network, and see if any of the usual logins for the router work: http://192.168.0.1 and http://192.168.1.1 are the most common. Then, if it's a Linksys, leave the username blank and type "admin" as the password. If it's a Netgear or D-Link, type "admin" as the username and leave the password blank. If that works, just rename the network to something pleasant.

tooki

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 21, 2005, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
Did anyone consider that the owner of that network might not know it's got an offensive name?

...If that works, just rename the network to something pleasant.

tooki
Tooki, I think you've nailed the most likely situation. I never thought of changing the name of someone else's unsecured network. Of course I am not that kind of person... I'd have found the neighbor and explained the problem to him(I've done this!).

(Edited because sometimes I kant spll)

perbl
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2005, 08:12 PM

I feel extremely offended by Agent69's indecent signature

Hmm, do you have kids? If not, I do not see why the problem exists, how often do you look at the list of available networks? Thought that was something one did one time, and then had the computer connect to the chosen network automatically in the future.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2005, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by perbl:
I feel extremely offended by Agent69's indecent signature
If you weren't such a dumbass trying to score points off me...

Hmm, do you have kids? If not, I do not see why the problem exists, how often do you look at the list of available networks? Thought that was something one did one time, and then had the computer connect to the chosen network automatically in the future.
...you'd have read this bit of the original post:

I have two 'closed' wireless network set up at home and run several airport enabled macs. I have the airport menu item in the menu bar enabled as I often need to switch networks and check signal strength.
If it doesn't scare hippies, it's not worth listening to

perbl
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2005, 12:37 PM

Well, as the dumbass that I am, I still fail to see the big deal.

If a dumbass upstairs plays loud music, I simply go up there, ask him politely to turn the volume down, and walk downstairs again, I do not post on hifi-forums asking for ways to isolate my bedroom or headphones with noise cancelling technology...

In other words, if one is offended by the name, take a walk in the neighbourhood, locate the source, and ask him/her about the need for the incredible scary network name. I am sure that it is just an average 14-year old kid with his first try on creating a wireless network, so I would not imagine him causing big problems or going off in a fury because of the complaint...

Unless you can access the base station and change the name yourself

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2005, 12:46 PM

Well, as the dumbass that I am, I still fail to see the big deal, if one is offended by the name, take a walk in the neighbourhood, locate the source, and ask him/her about the need for the incredible scary network name.
Wow you're naive.

And also assume a lot. Where has the OP actually said that he's got the facility for walking around the hood checking signal strengths?

You really think that someone with an offensive network name is going to change it because the OP asks him politely? Will that work? Does it work with sigs on notice boards? Or does the person complaining open themselves up for grief?

perbl
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2005, 01:44 PM

Well, as I said, I do not see the problem here, if you want a solution to it, then my way is gonna be one of the easiest ways that can solve the problem. Assuming you wish to do something active to get rid of the offensive name, but as I said, I do not see the problem, unless you want to shield i.e. kids from the offensive language.

If you live in a hood where you can expect someone pulling a gun and shoot you if you ask them to change their network name, then that is your problem, not mine.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2005, 02:21 PM

I do not see the problem, unless you want to shield i.e. kids from the offensive language.
Can''t adults shield themselves from things they find offensive? Isn't their freedom of choice to do this a basic right? Why are we mentioning kids? Isn't it the OP's right to not have to look at things he doesn't want to look at on his own computer screen?

Be careful where you go with this - your logic is effectively arguing the case for pop-ups on the web.

Oh. And did the OP ask you for your opinion on whether it's a problem for you or did he state that he finds it offensive and thus requires a solution?

If you live in a hood where you can expect someone pulling a gun and shoot you if you ask them to change their network name, then that is your problem, not mine.
Again, you're assuming. I didn't mention anyone pulling a gun. I didn't mention violence. I asked if it was going to be effective. Your method simply wouldn't work if the owner of the offensively named network ignored your request (yes, that's right - ignored, not "pulled a gun and shot you").
( Last edited by Sherwin; Feb 25, 2005 at 02:27 PM. )

perbl
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2005, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
Can''t adults shield themselves from things they find offensive? Isn't their freedom of choice to do this a basic right? Why are we mentioning kids? Isn't it the OP's right to not have to look at things he doesn't want to look at on his own computer screen?

Be careful where you go with this - your logic is effectively arguing the case for pop-ups on the web.

Oh. And did the OP ask you for your opinion on whether it's a problem for you or did he state that he finds it offensive and thus requires a solution?
Geez, what's the deal? What is your idea then for solving the problem? If you are able to get the police or the local government to solve the problem, good for you, but I would be surprised if they even bother to listen to your request. So, again, we are sitting here with limited alternatives. And as I have mentioned, one of the easiest solutions would be to locate the origin of the network, and request a change of the name, or one could mention to the owner that it is not always a good idea to have an open network, or broadcasting the ssid. Otherwise, I feel urged to repeat my suggestion to ignore the problem, or try alternatives such as turning down the power of the receiving equipment, thus not receiving the offensive name.

Again, you're assuming. I didn't mention anyone pulling a gun. I didn't mention violence. I asked if it was going to be effective. Your method simply wouldn't work if the owner of the offensively named network ignored your request (yes, that's right - ignored, not "pulled a gun and shot you").

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 25, 2005, 04:56 PM

I think we should be getting back to the original point of the thread, and not arguing. That's my personal and official opinion. This is NOT the place for this sort of nastiness.

Hippyhop, have you come up with anything that will help you out from all of this?

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2005, 06:06 PM

Listen this is what you do... you rip 15 or so newly released DVDs from blockbuster and encode them into DIVX. You then setup a server and wirelessly connect it to his network and allow many other people to enjoy "his" DIVX movies. You then let the MPAA take care of it
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Forum Links
Forum Rules