Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > New iPod photos

New iPod photos
Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Transatlantic flight, first class, third row, aisle seat
Feb 23, 2005, 09:53 AM

ok, the photo line has been updated, a 30gb and the old 60gb model now, with lowered prices and far less packed-in accessories.
No firewire cable, no a/v cable, no dock, no case. but, quite a step down in price!
- What is your nationality?
- I'm a drunkard. That makes me a citizen of the world.

Phil Sherry
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2005, 09:55 AM

and you felt the new iPod Photo warranted two threads? thanks for that.

Bob Y.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2005, 10:05 AM

ipod Photo 40 GB = $499 w/ dock, a/v cable, firewire

ipod Photo 30 GB = $349 + dock $39 + a/v cable $19 + Firewire cable $19 = $426

Not really a price drop with 10GB less storage.

But, I'll buy one anyway .
It's NEVER easy!

Ambassadeur  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Transatlantic flight, first class, third row, aisle seat
Feb 23, 2005, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by Phil Sherry:
<offtopic>
you're welcome. no need to be so friendly.
just happened to stumble over the photo feature first and since I've been waiting for that for some time I posted about that first. but the topic I chose wasn't broad enough for some other aspects of the new ipods, hence another thread. feel free to criticice me for that.
</offtopic>

Nevertheless, this change in the product line should give the ipod further momentum and the lower price point will make a nice argument pro apple for people still considering different mp3-players, as the price was one of the main arguments again it, imho.

Originally posted by Bob Y.:

Well, maybe depends on how much you value the color screen vs. the disk space. If you don't need the additional 10gb, you're probably fine with saving 70 bucks. plus, maybe you don't need both cables when on a PC. I still try to find some use for my usb cable on my usb 1.0 cube
( Last edited by Ambassadeur; Feb 23, 2005 at 10:15 AM. )
- What is your nationality?
- I'm a drunkard. That makes me a citizen of the world.

b11051973
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2005, 10:36 AM

I find the price drop interesting. I don't need a dock, AV cable or firewire. I've got USB 2.0 on all my computers. The main reason I'd buy a iPod photo is for the color screen. It would be nice to have the album art and just to have the menus in color. I would never use the iPod to put a slideshow on some TV.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2005, 10:45 AM

A 60GB iPod photo for me then. With a student discount, the prize is knocked off another $45 over here.

Since it "charges over USB 2", it works just like FW right? (assuming the Mac has built-in USB 2)

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2005, 11:22 AM

"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2005, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by Phil Sherry:
You think it warranted a response?

Don't forget the 30GB model is also smaller and lighter than the 60GB, which feels too big to me.

30GB: 4.1 x 2.4 x 0.63, 5.9 ounces
60GB: 4.1 x 2.4 x 0.75, 6.4 ounces

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2005, 12:54 PM

This new iPod and iPod mini news makes me happy. Now that they have killed the 40GB regular iPod, my 3G 40GB iPod is special once again! There are no 40GB iPods to be had! Only 30GB and 60GB photos.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2005, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
This new iPod and iPod mini news makes me happy. Now that they have killed the 40GB regular iPod, my 3G 40GB iPod is special once again! There are no 40GB iPods to be had! Only 30GB and 60GB photos.
I know how you feel. My iPod photo 40 Gig is now special.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2005, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by typoon:
I know how you feel. My iPod photo 40 Gig is now special.
Special?

porieux
Baninated
Feb 23, 2005, 03:41 PM

The new iPods SUCK.

You should not be forced to get a useless battery sucking color screen just to get a large hard drive, period.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2005, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by porieux:
The new iPods SUCK.

You should not be forced to get a useless battery sucking color screen just to get a large hard drive, period.
Hadn't considered this, but I agree. I was actually dissapointed by not seeing a 80GB option anywhere.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

dazzla
Senior User
Feb 23, 2005, 04:09 PM

Originally posted by JHromadka:
You think it warranted a response?

Don't forget the 30GB model is also smaller and lighter than the 60GB, which feels too big to me.

30GB: 4.1 x 2.4 x 0.63, 5.9 ounces
60GB: 4.1 x 2.4 x 0.75, 6.4 ounces
I don't suppose anyone has the 3G 40GB specs kicking around, I just wanna compare the dimensions and weight to my old iPod.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2005, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by dazzla:
I don't suppose anyone has the 3G 40GB specs kicking around, I just wanna compare the dimensions and weight to my old iPod.
Of course.

40 GB iPod: 4.1" x 2.4" x 0.69", 6.2 ounces

dennisobell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2005, 04:23 PM

Can anybody help me answer a basic question? I can't find specs on this anywhere.

Is the 60GB iPod Photo changed in any way from a hardware standpoint?

I'm trying to figure out if I should return a 60GBiP I just purchased.....

This is helpful information � I forgot about the accessories, or the lack thereof. Here's my story, in brief....

Just last week � boy, do I have bad timing! � I ordered a 60GB iPod Photo from Buy.com. They were having a nice special: $559 base price minus a $20 instant rebate, for $539. Imagine my shock when I saw the announcement of the new $449 price point for the 60GBiP!

Then I found out about the dropped accessories. And now that you mention it, I'm gonna need most, if not all, of the stuff you mentioned. If the FW cable plus the adapter plus the dock is gonna cost me $80, that's practically the cost difference between what I paid at Buy.com and the new, accessory-less price. (Actually, the price difference is $90, not $80, but I'm willing to eat $10 for convenience.)

The ONLY reason to return the old 60GBiP and get a new $449 one is if Apple has actually improved the hardware. The screen, the battery, etc. � is anything different? I haven't even received the Buy.com package yet, and I could return it if need be.

What would you do? Keep the $539 60GBiP from Buy.com, or return it and get a new $449 model and buy accessories separately?
CMM

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2005, 04:31 PM

For once I don't get shafted!

I have the 40 GB iPod photo that I got for Xmas, and it appears that the new iPod photos havent changed anything significant, and best of all, they include even less accessories Sorry for people having to buy these new ones, but I'm glad Apple didnt release a significant update only months after I got mine.

Chris

porieux
Baninated
Feb 23, 2005, 04:34 PM

WORST IPOD UPDATE EVER!

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2005, 04:35 PM

Try:

iPod Photo 40 GB = $499 w/ dock, a/v cable, firewire, Carrying Case with Belt Clip

iPod Photo 30 GB = $349 + dock $39 + a/v cable $19 + Firewire cable $19 + Carrying Case with Belt Clip $29 = $455

Chris

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2005, 04:44 PM

I almost forgot you can actually get the Dock, AC adapter, Firewire cable and AV cables for 79.00 they call the Apple iPod Stereo Connection Kit with Monster Cable. If you get this it's MUCH cheaper. if you get everything seperately it's 106 without the case. this would make it 100 with the case. If you wanted the case.

dazzla
Senior User
Feb 23, 2005, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by Simon:
Of course.

40 GB iPod: 4.1" x 2.4" x 0.69", 6.2 ounces
Damn that was quick. So it's lighter and smaller than my 40GB 3G. Sweet! Glad I ordered the 30GB Photo.

I'm gonna have to ring Apple tomorrow morning though and cancel the order and place a seperate order on the dock, there's an 8 day wait for the dock which will hold up my iPod.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2005, 04:47 PM

I almost forgot you can actually get the Dock, AC adapter, Firewire cable and AV cables for 79.00 they call the Apple iPod Stereo Connection Kit with Monster Cable. If you get this it's MUCH cheaper. if you get everything seperately it's 106 without the case. this would make it 100 with the case. If you wanted the case.
I thought of that too, but unfortunately, according to Apple, the Stereo Connection Kit won't work with the iPod photo.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2005, 04:50 PM

I thought of that too, but unfortunately, according to Apple, the Stereo Connection Kit won't work with the iPod photo.
According to their website "Supports iPod models with Dock Connector. Does not support iPod shuffle."

memory-minus
Senior User
Feb 23, 2005, 04:57 PM

According to their website "Supports iPod models with Dock Connector. Does not support iPod shuffle."
The iPod photo dock has s-video out.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2005, 04:58 PM

I stand corrected. When I checked this afternoon they had a little plot that showed check marks for the iPod and iPod U2, but crosses for the mini and photo. I guess they still had an older pic online. But, if the connection kit is the same for all iPods, I'm wondering if the dock included with this connection kit has an S-Video port or not. I'm afraid it won't have one.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2005, 05:09 PM

I stand corrected. When I checked this afternoon they had a little plot that showed check marks for the iPod and iPod U2, but crosses for the mini and photo. I guess they still had an older pic online. But, if the connection kit is the same for all iPods, I'm wondering if the dock included with this connection kit has an S-Video port or not. I'm afraid it won't have one.
I'm just looking at it again. I don't think it comes with an s-video on this Dock. I don't think it comes with a video cable either just the one for the stereo.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2005, 05:30 PM

OK, I found the page and took a little screenshot. It's in German, but the diagram at the bottom speaks for itself:

Strange, the US store page doesn't mention anything, but they also clearly show the dock has no S-Video connector. So what's the deal? Either it won't work at all or it will, but w/o the TV-output. Anybody know for sure?

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2005, 05:32 PM

OK, I found th page and took a little screenshot. It's in German, but the diagram at the bottom speaks for itself:

It's probably because that Dock doesn't come with the s-video and the AV cable the iPod Photo comes with. I'm sure it would still work though.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2005, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by JHromadka:
Special?

This is the first post I have ever read here that made laugh out loud. HILARIOUS!

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2005, 07:01 PM

OTHER THAN THE BUNDLED ACCESSORIES that came with the "old" 60GB iPod...are there any differences between the new one and the old one? Are all the interfaces, software, battery life, etc. the same between the two? Including the $30 camera add-on?

Wish I'd saved the old specs somewhere...

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2005, 06:32 PM

This is from apples site the sale section.

Original price: $499.00
Your price: $379.00

iPod photo (40GB w/ Dock and Carrying Case)
6.4 ounces
2.4 x 4.1 x .75 inches
Apple Earphones
AC Adapter
FireWire cable
USB 2.0 cable
iPod photo AV cable
iPod photo Dock
Carrying Case
That does not make any scence the 40 gig is cheeper.

jon l. dawson
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2005, 03:41 AM

Originally posted by porieux:
The new iPods SUCK.

Hahahaha you're so bitter, I feel sorry for you.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2005, 07:01 AM

Some info that might be of use: I have just gone from an 2G iPod 15GB to a new iPod Photo 30Gb. The photo is minutely thicker (and I mean minutely) - it fits into the dock for the 15GB 2nd gen just fine, and it also fits into my car adapter (Dension iceLink).
Synching over USB doesn't seem to take any longer than over FireWire.

Very happy with the upgrade so far.

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Feb 26, 2005, 08:43 AM

Was surprised at this. My mom called more than a ago week to say she bought an ipod mini. She then called a few times after to help her figure things out. She then finds out that the ipod mini has been upgraded by 2G and the other features. So she called me again to complain how unfair it was that they didn't tell her(at the Apple store in Cambridge) that a new one was coming out in about a week. I said, yea it would be nice, but then they wouldn't sell any ipods for that week until the new ones came out.

Well she didn't listen to me, but instead called the Apple store and said the same to them. They replied that since she open the box they would have to charge her a $25.00 open box/handling fee or something, but that they would replace her old (one week) ipod with a new 6G.

I thought no store would go for this. But good for mom.

Ry�kan
Feb 26, 2005, 02:08 PM

If you're looking for a deal, the 40 GB iPod photo, including photo dock, firewire cable and A/V cable, is now being sold at various places for $379. Was $499 a few days ago.

So, for $30 more than the new 30 GB (which you'll have to wait for), you get a larger HD & extra peripherals. Other features seem to be the same as the new 30 GB, except it's slightly thicker.

Sounds good to me.
( Last edited by Ry�kan; Feb 26, 2005 at 02:15 PM. )

tacojohnellenich
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2005, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by Ry�kan:
If you're looking for a deal, the 40 GB iPod photo, including photo dock, firewire cable and A/V cable, is now being sold at various places for $379. Was $499 a few days ago.

So, for $30 more than the new 30 GB (which you'll have to wait for), you get a larger HD & extra peripherals. Other features seem to be the same as the new 30 GB, except it's slightly thicker.

Sounds good to me.
I picked my 40GB iPod photo for $349 from the apple store in Novi. I was about to buy a 30GB + Case + AV Cable + Dock, but right before I was about to the cashier said that they still had some old 40's left. No question.

There isn't any difference between the 2 generations, except for size- the 30's a little thinner because it uses a single platter drive.

But anyway- I basically got a 10GB's + Dock + Case for free...

Forum Links
Forum Rules