Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > HELP! My external drive got erased

HELP! My external drive got erased
perbl
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2005, 01:14 AM

So, I a was sitting there, in my Tiger, wanting to copy some files off my external drive, which has a partition formatted in fat32 and one in hfs. But for some reason, Finder froze, and the round ball span for quite a bit of time. Finally I just did a hard reboot (which probably was stupid), and everything started up smoothly.

But when I powered on the external drive again, the fat32-partition seemed empty, reporting 24GB free space, and no files visible, while it should be almost full, with a lot of files. Shocked and angry, I tried connecting it to my PC, but also got the same result there. What I ended up doing, was trying to repair the disk with disk utility, which only seemed to clear a lot of clusters (which probably also was bad):

Lost cluster chain at cluster 3365543
1 Cluster(s) lost
Reconnect? yes
No LOST.DIR directory
Clear? yes

After a whole lot of those, Disk Utility only seemed to be able to make the disk show the right amount of free space, not rescue what was actually on the disk. If anyone has ideas for how to fix this, I would be most grateful!

Fredo
Senior User
Jun 17, 2005, 12:39 PM

Who are the Brain Police?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 17, 2005, 06:07 PM

Er, no.

DiskWarrior does not fix FAT volumes -- it's for HFS and HFS+ only.

Use a disk utility (such as Norton) on a PC to try and fix it. The Mac has no utilites to fix FAT volumes.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules