Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Canon Laser Shot compatibility

Canon Laser Shot compatibility
stefls
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2005, 12:03 PM

Hidi all,

Didn't know there still was such a thing as Apple-incompatible printers, but today I ran into one and to make it even worse, I bought one . I need a cheap laser printer and so the Canon Laser Shot LBP-1120 seemed a good deal to me. There was no Mac compatibility symbol on it, but I didn't worry. "There's always gimp print" I recall myself thinking. Turns out it only works under Windows and Linux. I did an internet search, but noone as of yet seems to have gotten it to work under Tiger.

Isn't it a bit strange Canon did not put any effort in releasing a Mac compatible driver...?

You people are my last hope; otherwise I'll have to put my life at stake again tomorrow by dragging it back to the store on the back of my bicycle... Thanks for any advice!

OreoCookie
Aug 9, 2005, 01:41 PM

If it's a GDI printer, you're out of luck. That's why you should never buy a GDI printer (for any platform). You're always dependent on the manufacturer to release a driver (my parents once had to pay for HP drivers, because the ones supplied with it didn't work for Win 2k). Pay for a driver

Do yourself a favor and get you a nice printer with at least some brains inside. Take a look at Kyocera, robust and cheapest toner around.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

stefls  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2005, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
If it's a GDI printer, you're out of luck. That's why you should never buy a GDI printer (for any platform). You're always dependent on the manufacturer to release a driver (my parents once had to pay for HP drivers, because the ones supplied with it didn't work for Win 2k). Pay for a driver

Do yourself a favor and get you a nice printer with at least some brains inside. Take a look at Kyocera, robust and cheapest toner around.
Thanks for your reply and for teaching me a valuable lesson
I'll check out Kyocera first thing in the morning!

Regards,
Stefan

stefls  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2005, 06:02 AM

Well, today I ended up trading the Canon for a Lexmark E232. Works like a charm, out of the box. That's what I would like to see . Dunno if this is a GDI printer or not (I suspect not).

Forum Links
Forum Rules