Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Question about iCurve

Question about iCurve
phillryu
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2004, 03:07 PM

Hi, I'm thinking about getting an iCurve for my 12" PowerBook, but have a question.

I usually take out my battery when it's fully charged to help preserve its life. Will my PowerBook still be able to sit securely on the iCurve without a battery? Or no?

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

AlfaMunky
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2004, 04:39 PM

Which powerbook? I have my 12" on my powercurve and honestly I'm sure you could but on this model the battery is so much of the bottom I wouldn't want to. It shouldn't fall but would be loopsided and unbalanced. On a 15" or 17" it wouldn't matter so much.

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2004, 05:27 PM

I have the 12. Could you try and see how it is?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 2, 2004, 06:02 PM

I honestly don't think it is necessary to remove the battery.

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2004, 06:28 PM

About a year and a half ago, my iBook battery was consistently reaching 0% in about twenty minutes from full charge. This was a known issue, I just hadn't known about it. With my second battery, I took it out when it was fully charged and I was using it, and after a year and a half, it still lasts me a good 2.5-3 hours.

Perhaps the new PB batteries have this problem fixed, but I seriously doubt it. The first thing I did when I got it was check online for people reporting battery issues, and I found a lot of complaints on Apple's support forums and the Powerbook forum here at MacNN. People with their computers sleeping at 80%, or their batteries going from 80% to 0% instantly, etc.

So I'm not chancing another hundred bucks

im_noahselby
Senior User
Oct 2, 2004, 06:28 PM

Originally posted by phillryu:
... I usually take out my battery when it's fully charged to help preserve its life. ...
I don't see the advantage for a laptop user, to remove the battery from the PB when it isn't necessary. Even Apple, I believe, recommends you leave it in. The only example that I know of where it makes sense to remove the battery, are stores who do so on their display models to prevent battery theft.

If I were you I'd leave your battery in your laptop and charge it as necessary.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

wunderkind
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 3, 2004, 01:22 AM

About a year and a half ago, my iBook battery was consistently reaching 0% in about twenty minutes from full charge. This was a known issue, I just hadn't known about it. With my second battery, I took it out when it was fully charged and I was using it, and after a year and a half, it still lasts me a good 2.5-3 hours.
(1) You cannot overcharge the LiIon battery, so no reason to remove it.

(2) If you want to store your battery you should do it at 40% charge, not 100%.
PB G4 12" 1.5GHz/1.2GB/100GB/SuperDrive/AE/Mac OS X Tiger

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2004, 11:05 AM

Wunderkind, then do you know why so many people are having troubles with their powerbook batteries then? There's even an Apple recall for them.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2004, 11:51 AM

Batteries can go bad just sitting in a drawer as easily as in your PowerBook. Unless you never move your PB, I'd agree about the battery.

On the iCurve, however, I've used one with a 14 iBook and a 17PB and had no problems. At night though. I turn it backward so my 17 is pointing upwards rather than on the slight down slope.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 3, 2004, 01:08 PM

Wunderkind, then do you know why so many people are having troubles with their powerbook batteries then? There's even an Apple recall for them.
Your position is that Apple's battery recall was caused by people not taking their batteries out of the powerbooks when they are plugged in?

I've used powerbooks for years. I've never taken out the battery and never had any problems like those you describe. Batteries do have a life-span, however.

AlfaMunky
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2004, 02:17 PM

Just tried it for ya and yes it works fine w/o the battery installed. It's fine and level. It's just the weight that ends up unbalanced.

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2004, 08:01 PM

All right, thanks. I don't want to make this into an argument about what causes the dead batteries people have been having (I'm not talking about batteries dying over years, I'm talking about people who went through battery after battery with maybe a month or two on each).

However, thanks for your answer Alfamonkey. Answered my question.

Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2004, 06:11 PM

the battery recall is for an overheating problem, not for charge issues.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2004, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by wunderkind:
(1) You cannot overcharge the LiIon battery, so no reason to remove it.

(2) If you want to store your battery you should do it at 40% charge, not 100%.
The only valid reason I see for removing the battery is to keep its temp down, if your laptop is sitting on a desk most of the time, for days or long then it makes scence to take it out and store it in a cold room to perserve it, even the fridge. Heat does affect them.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Oct 9, 2004, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by AlfaMunky:
Just tried it for ya and yes it works fine w/o the battery installed. It's fine and level. It's just the weight that ends up unbalanced.
Lately, I've found myself kind of interested in buying an iCurve, but only if others reccomend it. Is it more of a gimmik? Or does it really do its job, just as its advertised? Also, does the PowerBook grip it well? I don't want to buy something that is clumsy...

Is iCurve the best option for a 12" PB right now?

phillryu,

How did your iCurve work out for you?

Thanks
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2004, 04:08 AM

I use the iCurve with my 12" Powerbook, and it works great -- no problems with grip or sliding, stability etc. And it looks great and lets the heat dissipate much better than sitting the PB on top of books or something. Do you absolutely need it? Probably not -- I used to use an old wooden inbox, which provided air underneath the computer. But it looks great and does its job well.

Originally posted by im_noahselby:
Lately, I've found myself kind of interested in buying an iCurve, but only if others reccomend it. Is it more of a gimmik? Or does it really do its job, just as its advertised? Also, does the PowerBook grip it well? I don't want to buy something that is clumsy...

Is iCurve the best option for a 12" PB right now?

phillryu,

How did your iCurve work out for you?

Thanks

im_noahselby
Senior User
Oct 13, 2004, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by brettcamp:
I use the iCurve with my 12" Powerbook, and it works great -- no problems with grip or sliding, stability etc. And it looks great and lets the heat dissipate much better than sitting the PB on top of books or something. Do you absolutely need it? Probably not -- I used to use an old wooden inbox, which provided air underneath the computer. But it looks great and does its job well.
I've decided to take the plunge and grab an iCurve. It has to be better than the pile of books my PB is resting on at the moment.

I'll post my thoughts when I pick it up.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

-Q-
Oct 13, 2004, 06:30 PM

I've been using one for a few years now and it really does help immensely with keeping it cool. And the 12" iBook and 15" PowerBook I've used with it have both been very stable and secure. If you work on your laptop for extended periods, it also helps by bringing the monitor to a more ergonomic height. Although that's negated by the awkward angle the keyboard is now placed, but a USB keyboard easily solves that.

Plus, there's the added benefit of the regular double-take I get when people walk by my desk and think my PB is floating on air...

im_noahselby
Senior User
Oct 14, 2004, 01:54 PM

There are some great pictures I've found of the iCurve and I thought I'd post them here for others who may be on the fence as to whether or not to purchase one. They show the rubber grip and iCurve from every possible angle:

http://www.maceshop.co.kr/preview/iCurve/iCurve.html (real life pics from every angle)

http://www.frostyplace.com/index.php?story_id=1791 (shows grip and a few other angles)

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

im_noahselby
Senior User
Oct 14, 2004, 11:10 PM

My iCurve arrived an hour ago and it looks and works just as advertised. I think it's a nifty little add on to any setup.

I just have one question for those who own an iCurve: What are those rubber pieces that come in the small plastic bag used for?

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2004, 10:08 AM

Originally posted by im_noahselby:
I just have one question for those who own an iCurve: What are those rubber pieces that come in the small plastic bag used for?
They're included for people who want to keep the base of the iCurve from sliding around on the desktop. I like the fact that it slides because it's easy to move it around to make more space on my desk, but if you wanted it to stay still you could stick those on the bottom.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Oct 15, 2004, 02:56 PM

Thanks KP*!

I don't think I'm going to use them either, as I find myself moving my iCurve, depending on what I'm using my desk for at the time.

The iCurve is made of thick clear plastic and it feels solid and well built. I can see any laptop benefiting from the use of this stand. I find it kind of ties my PB, wireless mouse & keyboard setup alltogether very nicely. The iCurve is everything I had hoped for and more. It rocks! 5/5
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

perbl
Forum Regular
Apr 18, 2006, 11:11 AM

I am bringing this thread back to life.

Anyone besides me having problems with the laptop sliding down on the iCurve? My 12" powerbook has nearly fallen off several times now, I place it high up on the iCurve, and after a few hours it has moved so it is almost falling off. Kinda scary, and I dont think I will be using my iCurve that much more if this is the case.

FYI, my iCurve is somewhere around two years old.

jmgriff
Apr 18, 2006, 12:07 PM

I've never had any problems with either my 12" Alu or TiBook sliding off of the iCurve. It always feels really secure. I also have a colleague with a 17" and he feels similarly.

Did you attach the little rubber blocks to the ends of the iCurve 'arms'? Mine fell off after 2 years, but they were never needed in my case anyway.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2006, 12:47 PM

The rubber blocks are not meant to go on the end of the arms, they are designed to be stuck on the part of the icurve that sits on the surface - the curved bit
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

jmgriff
Apr 19, 2006, 05:58 AM

Mine came with two sets of rubber blocks: the disc shaped ones for the base (to stop it sliding on a tabletop) and two wedge shaped blocks intended for the ends of the arms (presumably to prevent the laptop sliding off - I never felt they were needed really). The pack contained an instructional diagram, so I'm in no doubt where they were supposed to go!

perbl
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2006, 03:00 AM

No, I have not attached the extra pads, but the problem seemed to have been solved after I wiped off and rubbed the rubber pads thoroughly with a damp cloth. Tried placing an object a few millimeters in front of the powerbook, and after a few hours they were still not touching.

himself
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2006, 08:53 AM

It's about time I bought myself an iCurve, but at $30 USD, it's kinda expensive for a curved piece of plastic. for $15-$20, I'd probably get two.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2006, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by himself
It's about time I bought myself an iCurve, but at $30 USD, it's kinda expensive for a curved piece of plastic. for $15-$20, I'd probably get two.

it is so worth it though. i dont know how your money situation is, but for $30 USD, you cant beat this product

himself
Mac Elite
May 1, 2006, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock
it is so worth it though. i dont know how your money situation is, but for $30 USD, you cant beat this product
cool, I'll take your word for it.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Forum Links
Forum Rules