Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Gmail Labels and Entourage/Mail

Gmail Labels and Entourage/Mail
warra
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2007, 10:48 PM

I have a bunch of labels in gmail with filters that direct mail to them. Is it possible to set up folders in either Entourage or Mail that have the same mail as the labels do? Basically I want to use either Entourage or Mail as a different interface to gmail.
PB12 / 1.5 / 80 / 1.25 / SD

Franz
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2007, 04:57 AM

Yes, but it requires some work...

in Mail , go to Preferences and then Rules - you can do all of the same stuff there that you can with Gmail's filters. Basically you'll have to recreate all the filters you did on the gmail side in Mail.app (since you already did them it should be easy).

I don't use entourage so I'm not sure how to do it in that application.

warra  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2007, 06:46 AM

ah i see. i guess there isn't a way to have it automatically set up. ill do that then. thanks.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2007, 09:14 AM

You won't have to setup the rules if the GMail rules are server-side rules. You will if they are simply client-side rules.

warra  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2007, 09:40 PM

yea all the filters i have are through gmail, on the server side. i have apple mail set up already to read my gmail, but none of those gmail filters work for apple mail so i was just gonna manually set up folders in mail as mentioned above, unless there is some way to import the labels and filters from gmail.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2007, 09:56 PM

So POP accounts do not leave new messages intact within the folders they belong in? Are you sure that GMail's filters are not simply client filters?

warra  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2007, 10:24 PM

im not 100% sure but i thought they were server-side. however, given the results i'm probably wrong.

Forum Links
Forum Rules