Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod Nano Alternative Design

iPod Nano Alternative Design
Gamoe
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2007, 03:23 AM

The nano is still pretty small and carries that extra Apple touch, but it's still undeniable that its dimensions are wholly disproportionate and not it's nearly aesthetically pleasing as the Nanos of old and the full-sized iPods.

I understand that a bigger screen necessitated a change in dimensions for the the device. However, though not plentiful, there were other possibilities. Particularly, I wondered why Apple didn't move the touch wheel to the right or left of the device instead.

Here's a shot of the new Nano from Apple's gallery:

And here's some quick photoshoping to illustrate my point:

I think I would have preferred this design over the current. Would this design be technically difficult or more costly, or does Apple just want to avoid placing the touch wheel any where other than in the center? What do you guys think?

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2007, 04:23 AM

Ned wouldn't sell it.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2007, 04:31 AM

Gamoe: Have you seen it in PERSON, or just in photographs?

Because from what I've read, it's the size that does it - it's actually quite perfect when you realize how *tiny* the thing is. Not "squat" at all.

Edit: See here for plenty of examples: http://forums.macnn.com/103/ipod-iph...o/#post3479895

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 11, 2007, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Gamoe View Post
I think I would have preferred this design over the current. Would this design be technically difficult or more costly, or does Apple just want to avoid placing the touch wheel any where other than in the center? What do you guys think?
Don't forget that there are left-handed people out there.
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

fhoubi
Senior User
Sep 11, 2007, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by andretan View Post
Don't forget that there are left-handed people out there.
If you print Menu and play both ways (f.e. 2 different colors) you could have a left- and right hand version thru a menu setting. Good try, but asymmetrical landscape shape does not work for me...
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

mkral
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2007, 10:13 AM

Aside from the Left Handed thing, that design would also be somewhat hard to hold for long-term useage (over a couple of minutes). The new design, while it looks weird at first, would sit well in your hand for extended viewing.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2007, 10:24 AM

Having the controls on one side is unintuitive. Don't think Apple didn't consider this, but everyone could think of this. It's not natural to hold it "sideways"

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2007, 10:24 AM

If it aint broke don't fix it
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2007, 01:09 PM

Don't judge it by the pictures.

I have one of the new Nanos and in my opinion it's probably the best looking iPod ever. Trust me. It's stunning in real life.

Every single person I have showed it too is instantly struck by geek lust and starts gushing over how amazing it is.

It's incredibly tiny and sleek. It makes the old Nanos look like clunky pieces of poop.

The problem with pictures is two-fold. First of all, it does not convey how small and thin it is. Second, those aren't photos on Apples page... they are 3D renders. The way the look on the site, it looks like the have a huge rounded bevel all the way around the edges. This is not the case at all. The bevel on the sides is very slight. The front of the iPod is essentially flat.

The pictures make it look like a 4th gen iPod that someone stepped on... but in reality it looks like someone took a 5th gen iPod and just zapped it with a shrink ray. It's proportionately smaller in every way, while the photos make it look just like the old large iPods, only squat. In real life, it comes together very well.
( Last edited by ort888; Sep 13, 2007 at 01:49 PM. )

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Sep 13, 2007, 01:16 PM

Yeah, the new nano looks better in person, and the design feels REAL nice.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2007, 02:32 PM

The design sorta grows on you, me thinks...
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2007, 02:53 PM

I'd like to hear from someone who has held one in there hands and still think the new Nano is fugly.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2007, 05:22 PM

There are a couple people in my office that have held and played with the new Nano (we have a couple we're using for a project), and they still don't like the design. The much prefer the old "chicklet" style. They also don't understand why anyone would want to watch video on a Nano.

On a sort of side note... be sure to keep the OP's mockup of the Nano in the back of your mind. Microsoft should be releasing the new Zunes pretty soon (yes, they are coming out with new Zunes), and they are making a "Nano" version. Be sure to visit this thread when they officially announce them. You might be surprised. (you don't work for MS, do you Gamoe?)

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2007, 05:24 PM

Microsoft really has too much money to throw around.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2007, 05:51 PM

I think the new nano looks fine, but I expected something more like this alternative design. Maybe next time...

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2007, 10:50 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was just throwing it out there. I must admit that I haven't seen the Nanos in person, though the pictures I see of people holding them look better than the enlarged Apple ones, and I realize now it probably "works" better on that smaller scale.

As far as capacity and capabilities go, I was even thinking of getting one for the gym and so forth, but I still find it a bit expensive, and I would be very tempted to go for the iPod Classic at that price. It would have been great if Apple would have offered higher-capacity Shuffles for less than the Nanos.

I am going to go out sometime an take a look at these new Nanos in person. It does seem like they're not quite as bad as they look in the bigger pictures at the very least.

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
(you don't work for MS, do you Gamoe?)
Not on your life!-- But I wouldn't be very surprised that I could come up with a design in a few moments that Microsoft needs a year and an entire "R&D" team to make.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 13, 2007, 11:35 PM

My issues:
- You are losing a considerable amount of space there.
- Hard to hold (think of trying to walking or jogging with it)
- Left hand

It's not a horrible idea.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2007, 10:49 PM

The new nano is sweet in real life. It's like holding a small pop tart in your hand.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2007, 08:11 PM

Well, looks like someone leaked a photo. As I was saying earlier, check out the new Zune "Nano". Look familiar?

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2007, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Well, looks like someone leaked a photo. As I was saying earlier, check out the new Zune "Nano". Look familiar?
Bigger and pinker.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules