Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > OS X 10.8.2 adds promised Facebook integration

OS X 10.8.2 adds promised Facebook integration
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 19, 2012, 09:45 AM

Apple has posted OS X 10.8.2, a major update for Mountain Lion. The main addition is Facebook integration, which was originally expected at the launch of the OS. The feature allows not only quick sharing of links and photos, but also the ability to receive Facebook alerts in the Notification Center. More hooks extend into Game Center, where people can "Like" games, and use Facebook as a source for friend recommendations. Scores can now be shared to Facebook, Twitter, Mail, or Messages; friends can be challenged to beat scores and achievements.

Other changes are scattered throughout the OS. FaceTime calls and iMessages sent to a phone number will also appear on a Mac, for instance, and through Safari and Mail, passes can be sent to Passbook in iOS 6, also released today. Several new languages and dialects are supported in Dictation, such as Spanish and Mandarin, and Power Nap support has been added for the late 2010 model of the MacBook Air. A collection of bugfixes and security updates are included, along with some minor interface tweaks. When choosing Save As a person can opt to discard changes in the original document; when launching Mail, unsent drafts are opened automatically. Twitter notifications are now generated for mentions and replies from any user, and tweets sent through the Notification Center will automatically have their URLs shortened. Notifications are moreover disabled when AirPlay Mirroring is active. Elsewhere, Safari has been upgraded with SSL support for Google searches, and the option to open previous webpages when restarting. The v10.8.2 update is available through the Mac App Store.

blahblahbber
Banned
Sep 19, 2012, 11:46 AM

Can't wait... guess I will be using pacifist on this update if possible (apple downloads section) or I will be yanking things out like the mad hatter.

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2012, 12:01 PM

If you don't use the satellite radio feature in your car, do you physically remove it from the car, or maybe hack the radio so the feature isn't available? Or just ignore the functionality and go about your way happily?

I thought you were of the camp "choice is good" -- Apple's offering you a choice of Facebook integration, not forcing you to sign up for a Facebook account.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2012, 02:44 PM

In your long history of incredibly dumb post, blahblahbber, this one marks you out as profoundly ignorant of even the basics of OS X.

Did you rip out the Twitter integration? Or are you so stupid you actually believe Apple is forcing you to sign up for Facebook.

Another Windows troll who has never actually touched OS X ... exposed!
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

mr100percent
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2012, 09:54 PM

Facebook is added to the Share menus in the OS. I'm sure you can disable them using some .plist files if you really needed.

blahblahbber
Banned
Sep 19, 2012, 11:28 PM

Exposed??.... yeah chas_m, I really think u are unfit for macnn staff being that you cannot understand my statements and others can.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2012, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by mr100percent View Post
Facebook is added to the Share menus in the OS. I'm sure you can disable them using some .plist files if you really needed.
This is the only thing that irks me.

Facebook and twitter show up in that share menu, regardless of whether you're logged in or not.

Why can't I just make them disappear (yeah, I know why: it's part of the licensing deal that the services are visible and will prompt users to create an account if clicked out of curiosity)?

Grendelmon
Senior User
Sep 20, 2012, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
In your long history of incredibly dumb post, blahblahbber, this one marks you out as profoundly ignorant of even the basics of OS X.
Did you rip out the Twitter integration? Or are you so stupid you actually believe Apple is forcing you to sign up for Facebook.
Another Windows troll who has never actually touched OS X ... exposed!
No, Apple isn't pointing a gun to anyone's head to join Twatter or SpaceBook. But when they incorporate the services in the menus and screen options that can't be TURNED OFF, it really annoys the people that don't use them. And SpaceBook is already losing popularity; Apple is late to the game and these UI elements will look outdated in a matter of years or so.

cgc
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2012, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by NewsPoster View Post
Apple has posted OS X 10.8.2, a major update for Mountain Lion. The main addition is Facebook integration...
So this is a major update to ML yet the primary addition is facebook? I'm probably one of the few without a facebook account so I'm biased but to call it a major update is a little ridiculous. Of course Apple's focus has shifted from computers and desktop OS to portable devices with portable OS which means the audience is younger (easier to afford than a $2K computer).

blahblahbber
Banned
Sep 21, 2012, 01:53 PM

ok, so I found the "social services" folder with the unwanted plugins (there are three)... trashed them.... then I went to town and got rid of 2 components: NotificationCenter and the socialpushagent apps... trashed 3 frameworks: SocialUI, Social, & Social Daemon.... so far so good.... never needed that stuff.... and if I wanted it back, I will just replace them with the individual back ups. Got some CPU cycles back; lean machines always are a charm!

If anyone needs detailed instructions, I will be glad to respond to your PM. Thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules