Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > No iPhone Announcement Thread?

No iPhone Announcement Thread?
andi*pandi
Sep 10, 2013, 01:13 PM

Are there no surprises?

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2013, 01:20 PM

Liveblog here:

Apple's next-generation iPhone liveblog!

Apparently there's a new search function in iOS 7 that's powered by Bing? Really?
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2013, 01:22 PM

Nope - none that I can think of.

Annouce iOS7 release date.

Announce iPhone 5C and 5S.

Announce Mac OSX Mavericks release date.

Done.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2013, 01:23 PM

iWork, iPhoto, and iMovie are going to be free for iOS 7.

That's nice, but kind of shitty for anyone who's running an older version of iOS or just doesn't want to upgrade.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2013, 01:23 PM

Free with any new iOS device - Pages, Keynote, Numbers, iPhoto, iMovie

Nice treat that.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2013, 01:26 PM

Announce iPhone 5C - CHECK.

White, yellow, red, green, and blue.

Those rubber cases for these 5Cs are absolutely HIDIOUS.

Yowza. $99 on 2-year contract for 16GB.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2013, 01:31 PM

New iPhone is really uninspired. The colors are nice but completely pointless for anyone using a real case.

Also, I love how Apple marketing spins everything.

Everything is always the best ever. "Keynote is the most powerful presentation program ever made." ...'Cause that's totes an objective comparison with PowerPoint. I wish they'd be more logical and say something like "This is the most powerful version of Keynote we've ever made."

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2013, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
New iPhone is really uninspired. The colors are nice but completely pointless for anyone using a real case.
True. But at $99 (16GB) on two year contract they are going to sell a **** ton of these.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2013, 01:35 PM

Of course they are.

They're also going to sell a shitload of them because they're iPhones and people still feel compelled to buy every new model.

Of course, there are a number of really nice Android phones (like the Galaxy S3) that are free with a contract, sooo...

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2013, 01:50 PM

Announce iPhone 5S - CHECK

New A7 - 64-bit processor (and iOS7 obviously has 64-bit kernel)

New this, new that. Fastest ever. Blah, blah, blah.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2013, 01:51 PM

It's twice as fast as the iPhone 5, but how fast is it compared to other current-generation smartphones?

theothersteve
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2013, 01:55 PM

Had to make a cameo appearance guys. I want to check my head. Am I alone in my utter disappointment at this event? What the fuxx is this? Colors and specs. Colors and specs. Colors and specs.

The marketers are taking over folks. Apple is losing its edge. The media. Investors. Fanboys... waited, and waited, and waited... until this day with a massive product drought this year, for colors and spec bumps? Cool, the fingerprint sensor is good. But that's it. I know the 5x performance boost is great... Apple says this every single year with every new product launch and it's never that big of a deal in real world use anymore.

Here I am waiting for them to surprise me. I'm so bored with the design of the iPhone and its small screen I may just jump ship onto an Android phone, like the Moto X.

What are they doing over there in Cupertino? I mean... thousands of engineers. This is all they could come up with? This iPhone design will be 4 years old next year!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2013, 01:57 PM

Also, I love how Apple marketing spins everything.

Everything is always the best ever. "Keynote is the most powerful presentation program ever made." ...'Cause that's totes an objective comparison with PowerPoint. I wish they'd be more logical and say something like "This is the most powerful version of Keynote we've ever made."

For somebody that doesn't seem down with hipsters, you sure use their language a lot... Totes?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2013, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by theothersteve View Post
Had to make a cameo appearance guys. I want to check my head. Am I alone in my utter disappointment at this event? What the fuxx is this? Colors and specs. Colors and specs. Colors and specs.

The marketers are taking over folks. Apple is losing its edge. The media. Investors. Fanboys... waited, and waited, and waited... until this day with a massive product drought this year, for colors and spec bumps? Cool, the fingerprint sensor is good. But that's it. I know the 5x performance boost is great... Apple says this every single year with every new product launch and it's never that big of a deal in real world use anymore.

Here I am waiting for them to surprise me. I'm so bored with the design of the iPhone and its small screen I may just jump ship onto an Android phone, like the Moto X.

What are they doing over there in Cupertino? I mean... thousands of engineers. This is all they could come up with? This iPhone design will be 4 years old next year!

Well, the touch ID is pretty cool, you have to give them that?

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2013, 02:02 PM

Well, part of integration into the Apple world is accepting that there's generally only one way to do things, and you have to have faith that Apple will choose the right way as the only way.

Providing options has never been Apple's MO.

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Well, the touch ID is pretty cool, you have to give them that?
Meh. My Android devices have facial recognition already. It's the same kind of gimmick.

It's also worth pointing out that Apple added this technology by buying out the company that designed the sensor, which means that now, nobody but Apple has access to use one of the best fingerprint sensors on the market (words of my BF, who is an industry expert in biometrics and IT security, and no I'm not just saying that). Apple's not in the enterprise security business, so they've had a serious impact on a market they don't have anything to do with by buying out this company.
( Last edited by shifuimam; Sep 10, 2013 at 02:22 PM. Reason: added sauce for SEC filing for Apple's acquisition of Authentec)

davidflas
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2013, 02:15 PM

No 128GB version...... Booooooooooooooo!
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2013, 02:29 PM

Yikes. Thoroughly disappointing. I could really care less about CPU or graphics performance at this point - can't say that I remember ever thinking that the wife's iPhone 5 is too slow or anything...I assume that is mostly a benefit for gamers? Fingerprint ID is cool - but again, it is nothing that I have pined for and I don't imagine it would drastically change my user experience.

New camera's cool - the old one is already good - and the motion-tracking could be really cool if companies actually develop good apps for it...since this niche is already dominated by companies that already have fitness devices (like Nike Fuelband/Fitbit/Jawbone UP/etc.), I'm curious whether companies will be so eager to develop these apps and presumably canibalize their own/existing hardware sales.

Battery life and screen size are the only real hardware complaints I think I would make about the iPhone 5....nothing doing.

Oh well. I held off on getting a new phone for 4 months....for the first time I think since Apple cancelled clones and my UMAX SuperMac S900 became obsolete (!) I'm pretty disappointed to be so closely tied into an Apple ecosystem, as the latest Android phones really look more interesting.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

P
Sep 10, 2013, 02:35 PM

It's twice as fast as the iPhone 5, but how fast is it compared to other current-generation smartphones?
If referring to single-threaded code and it's really true: really, really really fast. The A6 was very fast, and I thought that 30% was a really good boost from that.

Edit: I wonder if they didn't just go to quadcore and did a shrink at the same time, because another 100 % boost on single-threaded code would be fantastic.
( Last edited by P; Sep 10, 2013 at 02:48 PM. )
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2013, 02:42 PM

I'm out of touch with Android phones. Is there software that lets them to play nice with Macs like iTunes? The last time I tried it didn't
45/47

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2013, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam;4246876It's also worth pointing out that Apple added this technology by [URL="http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1138830/000119312512415110/d420930d8k.htm"
buying out the company that designed the sensor[/URL], which means that now, nobody but Apple has access to use one of the best fingerprint sensors on the market (words of my BF, who is an industry expert in biometrics and IT security, and no I'm not just saying that). Apple's not in the enterprise security business, so they've had a serious impact on a market they don't have anything to do with by buying out this company.
Blame the owners of the company, not Apple.

P
Sep 10, 2013, 02:55 PM

The marketers are taking over folks.
Actually this was the least marketing-influenced iPhone show ever. No megapixels, no clock speeds, no LTE transfer speeds. They found two use cases where people now use iPhones but they're not as good as dedicated devices, and improved them. They then looked at the single biggest time waster on the current setup and fixed that. This was the same Apple as the one that came up with the Retina display when no one thought about displays, the same one that came up with Spotlight and Time Machine.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2013, 02:58 PM

I'm a little disappointed, but this is a "tock" cycle. The 4S basically had Siri and nothing else.

andi*pandi  (op)
Sep 10, 2013, 03:05 PM

Why can't iphones do Wifi calling? I've just been on TMobile looking at features/plans, and this seems like a handy thing to have. Certainly I could have used it with Virgin Mobile, considering their lack of coverage.

Or does Skype andswer this problem?

Anyone have TMobile?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2013, 03:07 PM

I agree that this is a boring update, but people who expect amazing new hotness year after year must be pretty new to this whole game.

This is as it has always been.

We got a lot of rapid growth in smartphones for a few years because the product category was so new, but that era is now over. This is what it's going to be from now on. Small incremental updates. From Apple and everyone else.

The problem is that these things are so boring now because everything, and I mean EVERYTHING always leaks out ahead of time. Plus they are so formulaic.

CEO comes out and talks about how great they are doing. Shows some marketshare numbers. Shows some retail stuff. Shows some touchy feely video about users or the environment or something. Cut to product A. Go through a few bullet points on new features we already know about. Show some demos. Being up a 3rd party developer or two. Cut to yet another Jony Ive in heaven video talking about chamfered edges and rethinking everything. Cut to Product B. Repeat. Show some commercials. Tim thanks everyone. Flip a coin. Heads and it's a mucial guest. Tails and that's it.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2013, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by davidflas View Post
No 128GB version...... Booooooooooooooo!
Yeah, that's BS. To be fair, though, Apple would have charged $300 for the bump from 64 to 128, probably.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2013, 03:30 PM

Also, so much for a cheap iPhone.

The 5c is not cheap at all. It's $550 off contract.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2013, 03:35 PM

My wife made a great point, I'll bet that 5C gets great LTE and wi-fi reception, since it's all plastic.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2013, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I agree that this is a boring update, but people who expect amazing new hotness year after year must be pretty new to this whole game.
Exactly. The 3GS and the 4S were both spec bumps. Anyone who expected the 5S to be anything other than that simply hasn't been paying attention.

OAW

P
Sep 10, 2013, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Why can't iphones do Wifi calling? I've just been on TMobile looking at features/plans, and this seems like a handy thing to have. Certainly I could have used it with Virgin Mobile, considering their lack of coverage.

Anyone have TMobile?
There are a number of solutions, Skype and FaceTime among them, that all have the limitation that the receiver has to run the same application. If that's no issue, take your pic. FaceTime has the advantage of being installed on all iPhones and iPads and a lot of Macs and iPods.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2013, 03:47 PM

Also, so much for a cheap iPhone.

The 5c is not cheap at all. It's $550 off contract.
Well at the end of the day it is still an iPhone. Going with a plastic shell isn't going to reduce the cost to produce it enough to eliminate the need for a subsidy. But it does put a brand new iPhone with reach for $99 with contract. That being said, I'm still not seeing the logic behind all this clamoring for off contract phones. In the US it's not like they are 100% portable between carriers anyway.

OAW

P
Sep 10, 2013, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
My wife made a great point, I'll bet that 5C gets great LTE and wi-fi reception, since it's all plastic.
How do you figure? On all iPhones since the 4, the antenna has been in the shell with nothing between it and air. Remember antennagate?

Anyway, the plastic shell is just the outside, there's still a steel frame inmoulded into the plastic.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2013, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
How do you figure? On all iPhones since the 4, the antenna has been in the shell with nothing between it and air. Remember antennagate?

Anyway, the plastic shell is just the outside, there's still a steel frame inmoulded into the plastic.
I'm already hearing from a tester that it does have better wi-fi reception, 3G is the same, and LTE is a little more stable. Not sure why if it isn't due to the plastic housing.
- Thomas Paine

P
Sep 10, 2013, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
That being said, I'm still not seeing the logic behind all this clamoring for off contract phones. In the US it's not like they are 100% portable between carriers anyway.
Apple does well in the US already, the thinking about off contract phones is for Apple to gain some share on other markets.

P
Sep 10, 2013, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I'm already hearing from a tester that it does have better wi-fi reception, 3G is the same, and LTE is a little more stable. Not sure why if it isn't due to the plastic housing.
At a guess: more WiFi antennas spread throughout the phone, later revision of the LTE baseband chip.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2013, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post

Anyone have TMobile?
There is a SIP client for iOS called Linphone.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2013, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
I'm out of touch with Android phones. Is there software that lets them to play nice with Macs like iTunes? The last time I tried it didn't
That depends. What are you trying to do?

There's no need to "sync" with a computer for most things - you can put documents and files on an Android device remotely or use an app like Google Drive or Dropbox. Because Android is more like a real computer with regards to file management (you can access all directories of the userspace storage from any application), there's not a need to sync PDFs with one app, sync Word documents with another app, etc.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2013, 04:44 PM

That depends. What are you trying to do?

There's no need to "sync" with a computer for most things - you can put documents and files on an Android device remotely or use an app like Google Drive or Dropbox. Because Android is more like a real computer with regards to file management (you can access all directories of the userspace storage from any application), there's not a need to sync PDFs with one app, sync Word documents with another app, etc.
And to add to this, you can create a media folder on your phone and simply copy your non-DRM music, videos, etc. to that folder and they will be available in any music or video app you want to use.

Alternatively, install Google Music on your Mac and it will automagically upload up to 20,000 (?) songs to Google for you to stream to your phone. Neat thing is, moments after you buy a new song/album on iTunes on your computer, Google Music starts uploading it automatically.

theothersteve
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2013, 04:46 PM

Actually this was the least marketing-influenced iPhone show ever. No megapixels, no clock speeds, no LTE transfer speeds. They found two use cases where people now use iPhones but they're not as good as dedicated devices, and improved them. They then looked at the single biggest time waster on the current setup and fixed that. This was the same Apple as the one that came up with the Retina display when no one thought about displays, the same one that came up with Spotlight and Time Machine.
You haven't addressed my point. When I say the marketers have taken over, I mean it's become about specs and variations. All this is is a faster CPU and different colors. The fingerprint scanner seems like a gimmick. How about facial recognition that actually works. I'm tired of buttons. Just turn on hands free! No voice, no touch.

Why it's all about marketing now:

1. Now we have 2 iPhones, one that's a plastic toilet version of the other with no breakthrough business model of cheap to buy outright. But they're colorful! And $100 cheaper! Let's compete against Android phones for cheapskates and developing countries... can you say race to the bottom?
2. The difference between the new iPhone 5s and the old one is hardly anything but specs and colors. Gold! You don't say... wow... oooh, ahhhh. Same design. Same OLD design pushing 4 years. And don't get all crazy over 64-bit. We've been down this road with OS X. It's all marketing.
3. Apparently, the marketers were part of the design and formation of the App icons.
4. Apple is also apparently hiring hundreds of more designers/marketers.

Apple COULD have done a brand new phone. Thin design. Jet black and pearl white. Rounded edges. Liquidmetal? 4.7" screen? And on and on. But they didn't.

Please, be rational here guys. This phone does not make me want to run out and buy it. I've got a 5. I don't need this phone at all. It won't give me much of anything over my previous iPhone 5. This isn't compelling in the least...

That HTC One is looking more and more interesting... higher ppi substantially, much larger screen, beautiful design... the iPhone is no longer the leading smartphone in the world. Time for a Beer Bash Apple!

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2013, 04:50 PM

theothersteve
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2013, 04:57 PM

This is as it has always been.

We got a lot of rapid growth in smartphones for a few years because the product category was so new, but that era is now over. This is what it's going to be from now on. Small incremental updates. From Apple and everyone else.

The problem is that these things are so boring now because everything, and I mean EVERYTHING always leaks out ahead of time. Plus they are so formulaic.

CEO comes out and talks about how great they are doing. Shows some marketshare numbers. Shows some retail stuff. Shows some touchy feely video about users or the environment or something. Cut to product A. Go through a few bullet points on new features we already know about. Show some demos. Being up a 3rd party developer or two. Cut to yet another Jony Ive in heaven video talking about chamfered edges and rethinking everything. Cut to Product B. Repeat. Show some commercials. Tim thanks everyone. Flip a coin. Heads and it's a mucial guest. Tails and that's it.
This is the tech industry. It moves fast. It's not true that we aren't supposed to expect big things year after year. I'm in the industry and product cycles work this way. That's the pace of innovation. If Apple doesn't keep with it, they'll get left behind. To put this into perspective for you, the iPhone has a tiny 4" screen that has 323 ppi. The HTC One has a 468 ppi 4.7" screen with a unibody design. It's a beautiful phone. Imagine if HTC stayed with this exact same design for the next 4 years?

Would you think they're innovating or would you be saying they're going to die and have lost their innovative edge? You'd say the latter and I know you would. This is what's happened here. Apple has never stayed with the same design on the iPhone for longer than 2 years. Now they've doubled it! This is insane.

You think that this iPhone design and screen size is great. That Apple says this and that's that. I am part of teams that design products/software and I can assure you that if you see designs and ideas that people have for products in this industry, it'll blow your mind. Head over to Behance and rummage around. Apple's iPhone is old and tired. It's not fresh and it needs to be rethought. Getting rid of those ugly bezels and the physical home button is a start...

Colors aren't going to cut it, and neither is their BS 64 bit marketing crap they tried to pull when the first OS X 64 bit version came out and we found out it was still booting in 32 bit mode because of software limitations...

Look, I think I know why Apple is doing what they're doing. And it has nothing to do with the user anymore. It's because they have an operational guy in charge who's trying to maximize profits milking their economies of scale by sticking with the old iPhone design and also competing in the low end for marketshare. No need to retool machines and manufacturing goes as normal. 4 years Tim Cook. That's how old this fuxking design is. And I'm tired of this. It's all marketing...

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2013, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Blame the owners of the company, not Apple.
Your quote has managed to completely **** MacNN's style sheet.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2013, 05:51 PM

I mean, you keep going back to the screen like it's some sort of amazing innovation. How is a bigger screen with more ppi any less of a marketing ploy than 64 bit processing?

Bigger screens aren't really innovation. Sure, they may be nice, but it's not like Apple can't figure out how to make a bigger screen, they choose not to.

Apple found a design they like for a Phone. It works great. They aren't going to throw it out and reinvent the wheel just because they want something different.

MacBooks have looked more or less the same for about 5 years now. The iMac has as well. The design works. Why change it just for changes sake?

If you like the HTC One, go and get one. It's a nice phone. It's also just as iterative and non-innovative as anything from Apple. Actually, way way more so.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2013, 06:25 PM

I mean, you keep going back to the screen like it's some sort of amazing innovation. How is a bigger screen with more ppi any less of a marketing ploy than 64 bit processing?

Bigger screens aren't really innovation. Sure, they may be nice, but it's not like Apple can't figure out how to make a bigger screen, they choose not to.

Apple found a design they like for a Phone. It works great. They aren't going to throw it out and reinvent the wheel just because they want something different.

MacBooks have looked more or less the same for about 5 years now. The iMac has as well. The design works. Why change it just for changes sake?

If you like the HTC One, go and get one. It's a nice phone. It's also just as iterative and non-innovative as anything from Apple. Actually, way way more so.

I agree.

Not to sound like a condescending dick, but I think many of the people wanting all of this radical change are people that are new to tech or just haven't look at the history of tech too much. There is always a lot of turbulence when new technology comes out, but then it sort of stabilizes and each new release is less radically different than the last.

You'll note that everybody has swarmed to the mobile space because there really isn't much that is going to be an absolute game changer in the desktop space at this point, and I think that most people see that. Why these same people don't understand that this rate of change is going to slow in the mobile space is a little confusing to me. It's also confusing why people *want* to replace their phones every 6 months?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2013, 06:26 PM

Apple does well in the US already, the thinking about off contract phones is for Apple to gain some share on other markets.
Well there is that. But if I had to choose between market share in units sold and market share in profits I'm rolling with the latter. As I said earlier, it's still an iPhone which is a portable computer in pocket. The costs to manufacture it don't just disappear. So the only way for Apple to increase its market share in units sold is to sacrifice its market share in profits. And is that really the best move?

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2013, 06:47 PM

Would you think they're innovating or would you be saying they're going to die and have lost their innovative edge? You'd say the latter and I know you would. This is what's happened here. Apple has never stayed with the same design on the iPhone for longer than 2 years. Now they've doubled it! This is insane..
Huh? The original iPhone, the iPhone 3G, and the iPhone 3GS are virtually identical. The main visual difference is that the original iPhone had a plastic and aluminum back while the iPhone 3G and 3GS had all plastic. That was longer than a 2 year development cycle. Furthermore, the iPhone 4 and 4S had the exactly same external design with a 2 year development cycle. The iPhone 5 is considerably different than the iPhone 4/4S. And we are in the middle of the 2 year development cycle again. The iPhone 6 is the one that will incorporate the significant design change. You deride Tim Cook as an "operations guy" but there is a method to the madness here ...

iPhone 4 - Major Design Change
iPhone 4S - Spec Bump

iPhone 5 - Major Design Change
iPhone 5S/C - Spec Bump

iPhone 6 - Major Design Change.

Why? Because it's timed to when the vast majority of their customers are freeing up from their 2 year contracts with their carrier. Why should Apple expend all the resources to come up with some whiz bang new design for the iPhone 5S when most of its customer base can't purchase it because they don't qualify for the subsidized price with AT&T, Verizon, etc?

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2013, 06:58 PM

As for screen size, if Apple ever decides to offer an iPhone with a screen larger than what's on the iPhone 5 I sincerely hope that it's a different model. The iPhone 5 screen is perfect for me because I can A) easily slip it in and out of my front pants pocket or the inside pocket on my blazer, and b) easily operate it with one hand. I must admit those giant Samsung's look great as a "mini-tablet". But they look ridiculous as a phone and would be a whole bag of fail for me when it comes to pocketing and one-hand operation. If I were female with a purse or some guy running around with a "man-bag" or a satchel all the time then maybe I'd feel differently. But I for one am more than satisfied with the size of the iPhone 5 screen.

OAW

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2013, 07:57 PM

Guys, honestly, it doesn't matter if this is supposed to be the iPhone's "off year" or if iOS is maturing or whatever. What matters is that the competition's phones are looking very, very awesome, and the competition's OS is looking increasingly great.

In that instance, you'd expect them to respond to the particular challenge. I really can't figure out what this phone gives me that's significantly different from the existing phone, which everyone agrees is outdated.

As for screen - there's a difference between the current 4" and even 4.5" - and the phone itself could be almost exactly the same size.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 10, 2013, 08:07 PM

Gchat with wife today.

Code:
me: NEW IPHONES me: http://store.apple.com/us Sent at 6:50 AM on Wednesday Wife: I WOULD LIKE GOLD, BITCHES. Wife: I want the 5s. What makes it better? Sent at 6:55 AM on Wednesday me: Fingerprint sensor to unlock. Way better camera. me: That's most of it
Looks like I can't preorder the 5s, and I'm staying the hell away from Apple and Verizon stores on release day. We'll have to order on the 20th if the online Apple Store hasn't completely crashed.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2013, 08:21 PM

@Shortcut

A bigger "edge-to-edge" screen similar to the HTC One in the same form factor would be awesome. I can see something like that in the iPhone 6.

OAW

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 10, 2013, 09:52 PM

'A bigger "edge-to-edge" screen' would be my only desire. People seem to want innovation for its own sake, no matter how good a product is. I have the 4s, and having held the 5, it's a nice improvement over mine, beautiful design, slim and sleek, what more do people want? Or need? The iPhone does so many different things, and does them well, just can't imagine anything more except higher pixel camera. No big 4.7 screen for me, please! Don't want any extra bulk. My hands are medium sized and I like to securely wrap the paw around the phone without straining.

I think this is all fueled by the hyper competitive business climate we're in. So it becomes impossible for a company to make a best in class product, and simply improve the specs as the innards become miniaturized and more efficient. That said, I'll buy the 6s because it will be better and have better camera. Apple's big screen iPhone better have another name!

Forum Links
Forum Rules