Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > VLC OpenGL not supported?

VLC OpenGL not supported?
holderlin
Sep 21, 2013, 08:58 AM

I get the following message when I try to open almost any video file format in VLC: "OpenGL acceleration is not supported on your Mac. Your Mac Lacks Quartz Extreme acceleration . .. ." The Mac I'm using is a Mac Mini from Mid 2011 with 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MD and OSX10.8.4. I'm using VLC media player version 2.0.8 Twoflower (intel 64bit). I'm connecting to MacMini via SplashTop on my iPad. It works fine using iPad and SplashTop on my other Mac Mini. The file is located on separate drive attached via USB. I've tried "Default" and "Mac OSX OpenGL video output" as output module. I've also rebooted computer a couple times to see if that would help. Nothing I've tried so far works. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bob

reader50
Administrator
Sep 21, 2013, 01:33 PM

Delete VLC prefs, then try again.

.../Preferences/org.videolan.vlc.plist
.../Preferences/org.videolan.vlc (folder)
.../Preferences/VLC (folder)

holderlin  (op)
Sep 28, 2013, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the recommendation. I deleted the preference files and folders, restarted and had the same problem. I then uninstalled VLC, including the preferences you mentioned above plus any other that had videolan in name. I installed VLC again. Now I get the same message as before but some of the files play. It's not format dependent. Some Video-TS folders will play after getting the message others won't.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again,
Bob

Thorzdad
Oct 4, 2013, 07:16 AM

Have you asked over at the Videolan Forums?

Forum Links
Forum Rules