Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iTunes --> Stereo

iTunes --> Stereo
KeilwerthSX90R
Forum Regular
May 1, 2003, 02:34 AM

What is the best way to connect my PowerMac to my stereo for iTunes?

Is there a component that would use 802.11 to connect and that I control either at w/ my PMac or with the component?

Does the new TiVO do this? Where are all the cool rendezvous devices?

Thanks,
Josh
( Last edited by KeilwerthSX90R; May 1, 2003 at 03:12 AM. )

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2003, 03:06 AM

you can plug it in to your stereo through your line out (headphone jack).

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

KeilwerthSX90R  (op)
Forum Regular
May 1, 2003, 03:12 AM

I can't plug it in directly, I need a network solution.

Josh

Dubloseven
Forum Regular
May 1, 2003, 03:17 AM

Originally posted by KeilwerthSX90R:
I can't plug it in directly, I need a network solution.

Josh
because you physically can't, or because you want a high tech way?
MacBook 2.0, 4 gig Nano, Nike+
loving cal poly slo every minute!

KeilwerthSX90R  (op)
Forum Regular
May 1, 2003, 03:21 AM

Because I physically can't.

Josh

gostan
May 1, 2003, 06:28 AM

Because I physically can't.

Josh
The Apple Store sells the new Belkin FM Transmitter For Ipod. This would solve your issue if it works with old and new ipods. HTTP://www.apple.com/ipod/accessories.html

-Q-
May 1, 2003, 10:23 AM

Does the new TiVO do this? Where are all the cool rendezvous devices?

Thanks,
Josh
Yes, a TiVo series 2 will do this with the Home Media Option. It's very cool and it works really well. I have my music streaming over my wireless network and I haven't had any problems with dropoffs yet. And the music sounds pretty good coming thru the home stereo. Only problem is that it won't work with any of the songs purchased thru the Apple Music Store. The TiVo doesn't support AAC files (yet)...

And you'll be spending some $$ to get it done. Price of the TiVo plus a network adaptor plus the TiVo subscription and the $99 HMO fee.

xtal
Senior User
May 1, 2003, 10:26 AM

I suspect that there is a loss in audio quality when using a wireless solution to connect audio devices. The FM transmitter will certainly have this problem, and other devices may as well. Just a thought.

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

-Q-
May 1, 2003, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by xtal:
I suspect that there is a loss in audio quality when using a wireless solution to connect audio devices. The FM transmitter will certainly have this problem, and other devices may as well. Just a thought.
Probably a little, although I haven't noticed it. And essentially your transferring a file via an 11Mbs network so no compression is necessary (like for 'net streaming). So I don't think the audio quality would be impacted dramatically.

Zim
Senior User
May 1, 2003, 11:47 AM

I guess the part of this I always see little talk about, is what kind of control do you have on the remote end.

I mean the simplest solution is something like iFM. Plug in the $40 thing, hit ramdon play, and tune in downstairs.

But it you wanted to skip the song, change the playlist, etc....

For the price of many of these solutions, you might as well buy a dedicated iPod and plug it in to your stereo directly.

How many Macs have an IR port (or something similar)?

What about some kind of mini control panel appl on a Palm Pilot (ro simple stand alone box) that sends commands back to the Mac (via IR, home wiring netowrk, or Wifi)... which end up in an Applescript controlling iTunes?

Mike

adamberti
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2003, 11:52 AM

There's a neat device that is like another component of your stero. It's the "SliMP3" from Slim Devices. It displays the song that is playing, allows you to browse and has a remote and everything. It connects via an Ethernet Network, but if you cannot run a wire, you could also invest in a Wireless Bridge. You run a little app on your machine that streams it for you, it will even recognize your iTunes playlists.

All in all thats a $350 solution - not bad at all. One drawback though, as the name implies it supports MP3, no AAC, although maybe they will update it now, who knows....

Forum Links
Forum Rules