Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > can't send mail today w/ Apple's Mail

can't send mail today w/ Apple's Mail
darrick
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2004, 06:49 PM

although i seem to getting all my mail sent to me, i cannot send mail today with Apple's Mail and my dotmac account. i get this error message: The server response was: 5.7.1 <nospam[actually my name, of course]@mac.com>... Command rejected. when i try to ping the mail.mac.com server, nothing. but i would think if there was a big problem, i would have seen a thread or other news.

i checked and the port is still 25. i tried creating a new account. and i tried to send from the dot mac web page and the messages appear to leave but they do not arrive at their destination.

[i mention this because it is at least a coincidence: my big client just had their windows mail app updated for filtering spam. and when i sent them mail for the first time, all with attached pdf files, i got hundreds of these messages back: Symantec Mail Security detected that you sent a message containing a suspicious attachment. (SYM:39171940551306598831) [the number code seems to be unique to each message]. not only were my new messages triggering this message, but old messages long sent + recieved were also triggering it. i set up a Mail rule to put these messages in a new mailbox and send copies back to their office for troubleshootiing.

their hired tech called me today and seemed to be saying that the name of the file did not match its type; seems nutty to me: they were just pdf files, created with acrobat and with their suffixes showing, like filename.pdf >> anyway, i have not been able to send a new email back to test if it all is working.]

any ideas??

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2004, 08:02 PM

What are your SMTP settings?

darrick  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2004, 10:28 PM

outgoing server is mail.mac.com
server port is 25
secure sockets layer is not checked
authentication is set to password
user name is my name
password is my password

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2004, 10:39 PM

Is your ISP blocking Port 25?

darrick  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 15, 2004, 05:12 AM

i just tried changing the port to 857 and it timed out, not the same error as before -- so, i would say they are not.

my problem seems to be that i am getting through to apple's door step and getting turned away there, as though their server were down (but i don't think their server is down).

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2004, 06:04 AM

Originally posted by darrick:
outgoing server is mail.mac.com
server port is 25
secure sockets layer is not checked
authentication is set to password
user name is my name
password is my password
Outgoing server should be your provider.

darrick  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 15, 2004, 04:58 PM

waiting here at the apple store for a genius, i am able to send. (?)

darrick  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 15, 2004, 11:51 PM

i've got it working, thanks to a helpful apple store genius:

The server response was: 5.7.1 <nospam[actually my name, of course]@mac.com>... Command rejected

although this seems to suggest that there was a problem with the dotmac server itself or with me and the dotmac server, the problem actually seems to have been with my settings for my isp (verizon dsl). (it feels related to the Symantec thing, but i cannot see how actually).

so i had to check the Accounts settings in Mail's Preferences for my dotmac account and my verizon account. here's how it worked out, to help anyone else.

>> my dotmac account settings always seemed to have been ok, but here they are for reference

Account Type: .Mac
Description: my_dotmac_email_address
Email Address: (blank)
Full Name my_full_name

Incoming Mail Server: mail.mac.com
User Name: my_dotmac_user_name
Password: my_dotmac_password

Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): smtp.mac.com.my_user_name outgoinging.verizon.net
Server Settings... [button]

Outgoing Mail Server: stmp.mac.com
Server port: 25
do not check Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)
User Name: my_dotmac_user_name
Password: my_dotmac_password

>> my verizon dsl account settings always seemed to have been ok, but i now had to change the names for the Incoming Mail Server and the Outgoing Mail Server. (this was figured out by an apple store genius who also had verizon dsl at home and so was familiar with the settings).

Account Type: Pop
Description: verizon
Email Address: my_verizon_email_address
Full Name my_full_name

Incoming Mail Server: incoming.verizon.net [i had had it as mail.verizon.net, since like forever]
User Name: my_verizon_user_name
Password: my_verizon_password

Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): outgoinging.verizon.net.my_user_name
Server Settings...

Outgoing Mail Server: outgoinging.verizon.net [i had had it as smtp.mac.com, since like forever]
Server port: 25
do not check Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)
User Name: my_verizon_user_name
Password: my_verizon_password

thanks to all who posted (and to the genius).

Forum Links
Forum Rules