Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Inkjet paper compatibility

Inkjet paper compatibility (Page 2)
Railroader
Banned
Oct 25, 2006, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by stephanielamb View Post
Just thought i'd note that Kodak's "Premium Photo Paper" in high gloss does NOT work with my Epson C86.
Nor with either of my Canon Pixma printers.

Railroader
Banned
Feb 9, 2007, 11:10 PM

HP "Brochure & Flyer Paper, glossy" and HP "Premium Plus Photo Paper, soft gloss" work very well in my Canon Pixma iP4200. They really aren't that glossy though. Not compared to gloss of the Canon brand paper.

I used the highest quality setting for gloss. Very sharp with deep blacks and vivid whites.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 3, 2008, 10:39 AM

I just cleaned up some spammers here. seanc had caught a couple of sig spammers, and I found even more...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 6, 2011, 06:45 AM

It has been brought to our attention that this thread is stagnant, and is not "sticky worthy" in its current state. So I'm soliciting input to bring things up to date.

As of September, 2011, what ink/paper/printer compatibility issues exist, and what works best? Let's bring this thing up to the present and get it back to being useful!

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2013, 04:08 AM

Even the crickets are dead.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2014, 02:11 PM

I found that kodak paper works well in just about everything.
Kodak has always failed for me in Pro Epson desktop printers.

feedtalenine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2021, 10:43 AM

I have a lot of Epson paper for my Stylus Photo 780, but am thinking of getting the Canon i960 and would hate to just dump all this paper.

Thorzdad
Mar 13, 2021, 01:15 PM

There's no reason you can't use Epson-branded paper in a Canon printer.

andi*pandi
Mar 14, 2021, 07:32 PM

reader50
Administrator
Mar 14, 2021, 11:37 PM

Regarding actual inkjet paper compatibility, I think improvements in ink formulation solved the problem. In my limited experience, all the paper I've tried worked.

On the other hand, the ink cartridge ripoff chips - those work great too. Don't buy an inkjet unless it's a tank model, or has multiple generic cartridges available. Those DRM chips have even made their way into laser printers. Don't buy those either, unless generic toners are available for that model.

Printers are a buyer-beware market today. Especially on the lower end of the price scale. If a printer is unbelievably cheap, it's being sold below cost with DRM chips. You'll pay afterwards, via the OEM cartridge treadmill.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 15, 2021, 12:31 PM

...or you'll find it more affordable to replace the whole printer when the ink runs out.

That causes huge amounts of electronic (and other types of) waste. From an environmental standpoint, a tank-based inkjet, or a refillable toner tank laser are MUCH more appropriate. And they should be MUCH more economical for both the manufacturer and the supply chain.

I have an older Canon inkjet and a (not quite as old) Canon laser. Both have generic refills available - which have performed wonderfully in both units.

One thing: SOME applications of inkjets may need special paper. Photo printing, for example, works best with photo paper. But still, it doesn't need to be brand-named paper to work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules