Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > {Feeler} Would you pay for an HDD for your iPhone?

{Feeler} Would you pay for an HDD for your iPhone?
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2008, 09:33 PM

If a new startup were to offer iPod-like HDD capacities, which could plug to your iPhone as easily as a USB thumbdrive, but in "backpack" form factor, would you be interested in this product? Let's say 160GB with its own battery, so that it doesn't drain your iPhone:
$200?
$300?
$400?
more?
I have seen that the technical feasibility is here now, but is the market ripe for this kind of offering?

gradient
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2008, 12:07 AM

Not me, I can't think of any reason I would need or want that much storage for the iPhone. If I decided that I wanted more media storage on the go, I would just pick up an iPod Classic instead, seeing as it would be a second unit to lug around anyway.

The only way I would consider it is if there were some killer app released that would allow real work to be done on large files on the iPhone (GaragebandMobile, perhaps), but I can't really see that happening, especially in a form that was actually useable. 99% of people interested enough in those types of applications to need the storage are going to go with a notebook anyway.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Mar 10, 2008, 12:46 AM

I wouldn't want one just because it has an HDD. A cellphone is something that generally gets thrown around more so than an iPod would. Therefore I would want NAND or an SSD.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

Visnaut
Senior User
Mar 10, 2008, 07:56 AM

For what purpose, really? You would still only be able to sync music and movies to the space addressable by iTunes.

And even if you could get around that limitation, it seems to be of limited use. I could only imagine it being useful on trips where you might run out of content before being able to sync again.

Sorry, but I just don't see the point of it.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2008, 10:18 AM

Pass. Just because you can do something doesnt mean you should.
we don't have time to stop for gas

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2008, 10:28 AM

I've been lusting after a 160GB iPod for a while, but to be honest, I'd *much* prefer a flash version for reliability and less susceptibility to vibration damage.

And I've found that if I need to sift through my collection anyway when packing my iPod - and I still would, even if I had 160GB of storage - it doesn't really matter so much whether it's 15 GB or much more.

So I'd like a 32GB iPhone for enough music to last a while before I get bored of the content, and for some essentials on video.

I'llhaveitshippedtomydoorStevethankyouverymuch.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2008, 05:58 PM

No. It would add unnecessary bulk. If I wanted more storage (which I do) I'd buy a 32 Gb touch, but alas, money doesn't grow on trees.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2008, 07:16 PM

I thought I just read that the SDK doesn't offer any kind of access to the Dock Connector...

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2008, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by cybergoober View Post
I thought I just read that the SDK doesn't offer any kind of access to the Dock Connector...
Where did you see that?

TravisReynolds
Mar 11, 2008, 01:59 AM

I would, I would put so much on my iPhone. The only problem though that i thought of is if you your iPhone is taking up a lot of room it may slow down the OS.. but this is jus tmy guess
From the one, and Only Travis Reynolds. You stay classy San Diego

gradient
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2008, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by TravisReynolds View Post
The only problem though that i thought of is if you your iPhone is taking up a lot of room it may slow down the OS.. but this is jus tmy guess
I doubt that. Additional storage space wouldn't impact the OS at all, unless you somehow managed to spread the OS files across the two different storage mediums.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2008, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by cybergoober View Post
Indeed it doesn't. You can't code for any hacked-together dock connector add-on.

But if your hardware is part of the Made for iPod/iPhone program the rules are different.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2008, 11:01 AM

I wouldn't be interested.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2008, 11:15 AM

Sorry, but I have to say no on this one.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2008, 01:14 PM

The old Compaq iPaq PDA did this. They offered ones that added compact flash, PCMCIA, extra battery power, GPS, cellular wireless and some others. The iPaq would slide into the sleeve, and connect to a special expansion port on the bottom. The slick thing about their system was that the PDA could also still be docked with the sleeves attached.

If it could be done in a non hacky way (IE requiring a jailbroken phone, etc) then maybe. I'd be curious to see how content would be loaded though if you are taking over the iPod connector on the bottom.
<This space under renovation>

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2008, 03:40 PM

Definitely - the iPhone is crippled with current storage. A decent HD would allow it to actually compete with iPods as a music device rather than a phone that also stores a few songs.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2008, 03:41 PM

"a few"?

Visnaut
Senior User
Mar 11, 2008, 04:03 PM

Instead of just extra storage space, it would be much cooler if it were a card reader that you could use to view, delete, and email pictures off of your camera's memory cards.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2008, 04:08 PM

I want it to stay flash. HDDs are on their way out for devices like these. What I would really like though is flash to become cheaper fast.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2008, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
"a few"?
Yep. Compared to average iPods even a couple of generations old, it's tough to think about going back to 16gb.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2008, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by TravisReynolds View Post
I would, I would put so much on my iPhone. The only problem though that i thought of is if you your iPhone is taking up a lot of room it may slow down the OS.. but this is jus tmy guess
My touch has 0kb left and it's no slower than it was when I had two gigs free.

Forum Links
Forum Rules