Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Star. Wars. Trailer.

Star. Wars. Trailer. (Page 2)
ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2014, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
With a sword, the crossguard is in the same plane as the cutting edge of the blade.

Lightsabers don't have a cutting edge along a single plane. They'll cut any which way.
Similar to the point I'm making. It's always bugged me that SW depicts their battles as clumsy two-handed affairs with ancient/basic technique; the usage and technique would be completely different for an actual lightsabre which has a 360-degree cutting plane, allowing for far more clever feints and ripostes.

Of course, as I mentioned claymores/broadswords went extinct 500 years ago because they were so completely unwieldy and impractical - they are impressive, imposing, but terrible weapons.

Originally Posted by Shaddim
Not all claymores have a 45 degree guard, as a Google image search will readily show, and even an amateur can avoid being hit by the crossguard.
I'd say that almost none would have a 45-degree guard, but almost all were angled. 90-degree quillons would have been far more uncommon; they are more likely to catch an opposing blade and less likely to catch your own self when having to fight in close quarters. [Edit: just googled claymore; description actually includes "angled quillons".] And furthermore, almost none of them would be sharpened; in the rare event you used them to attack or riposte it was more likely to be blunt trauma.

An "amateur" can avoid hurting themselves precisely because they're an amateur - fighting one on one with extremely basic attach, parry and riposte technique (much like the original SW haha). No need for sudden twists or defensive scrambles - that's when an already unwieldy weapon became a death sentence. The precise reason that these swords became extinct is that they were essentially useless in any sort of advanced hand-to-hand combat.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2014, 10:47 AM

Carrying a handgun is so much more convenient, however uncivilized some Jedi may view it to be.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2014, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Of course, as I mentioned claymores/broadswords went extinct 500 years ago because they were so completely unwieldy and impractical - they are impressive, imposing, but terrible weapons.
I always thought that they were used because you wanted a nice heavy blade to put all the energy from you and your horse into.

The biggest difference I see between a lightsaber and sword technique wise is even the very tip of the blade is lethal with no force behind it.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2014, 11:25 AM

I think that's exactly why it quickly fell out of favour as a hand-to-hand weapon - it was eventually used almost exclusively by heavy calvary in a slightly different form. And you'd likely have a full suit of armour to boot.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2014, 01:58 PM

A two-handed sword is a polearm which happens to have a sharp pole.

They fell out of favor along with polearms. Guns beat polearms.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2014, 02:41 PM

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2014, 02:51 PM

Similar to the point I'm making. It's always bugged me that SW depicts their battles as clumsy two-handed affairs with ancient/basic technique; the usage and technique would be completely different for an actual lightsabre which has a 360-degree cutting plane, allowing for far more clever feints and ripostes.
This isn't just Star Wars, that "ancient" technique you see in movies is pretty bullshit.

At least I'm assuming that in ancient times, what you tried to do with your weapon is hit your opponent.

In movies, with rare exceptions, people attack the opponent's weapon.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2014, 05:14 PM

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2014, 10:36 PM

Welp, that answers that.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2014, 09:52 AM

This isn't just Star Wars, that "ancient" technique you see in movies is pretty bullshit.

At least I'm assuming that in ancient times, what you tried to do with your weapon is hit your opponent.

In movies, with rare exceptions, people attack the opponent's weapon.
That's actually somewhat more accurate than you might have meant it - in fact in battle, swordfighting was more like wrestling with sharp objects. You know in movies, when you have the fancy guy who twirls around all crazy and shit and then the street-smart guy pokes his eye and punches him in the face or something like that? (If you're into Game of Thrones, that guy is Bronn.)

That's what sword fighting was actually like. You got close, used a wrestling move to trip the guy or just elbowed him in the schnozz, and then stabbed him before he could recover.

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
The biggest difference I see between a lightsaber and sword technique wise is even the very tip of the blade is lethal with no force behind it.
Errrr....as a weapon, or as used in the SW films? (See our previous comments on technique or lack thereof in the movies.)

As a weapon, the technique would have to be totally different. Swords themselves have different techniques depending on type; but in general you had a pointy end, likely one or two cutting edges, and a flat concussive side. That all makes huge impacts on what you should do with a blade in a particular situation.

Lightsabres are supposed to be razor sharp every which way. Stuff that would never work with a sword would be deadly with a lightsabre.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2014, 02:07 PM

That's actually somewhat more accurate than you might have meant it - in fact in battle, swordfighting was more like wrestling with sharp objects. You know in movies, when you have the fancy guy who twirls around all crazy and shit and then the street-smart guy pokes his eye and punches him in the face or something like that? (If you're into Game of Thrones, that guy is Bronn.)

That's what sword fighting was actually like. You got close, used a wrestling move to trip the guy or just elbowed him in the schnozz, and then stabbed him before he could recover.
The problem is they then (usually) fail to show the punches or kicks. It's just cling-clang cling-clang cling-clang... swords are bound... closeup on face with teeth gritted... "HUAAAAH" as one person pushes the other away as far as possible... cling-clang cling-clang cling-clang.

As you say, Instead of the HUAAAH toss, that's when people go for a knee in the groin.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2014, 02:40 PM

It's just cling-clang cling-clang cling-clang... swords are bound... closeup on face with teeth gritted... "HUAAAAH" as one person is therefore impaled on his own lightsabre crossguard
Amirite? Amirite?

( Last edited by reader50; Dec 3, 2014 at 03:28 PM. Reason: fixed video tag)

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2014, 03:07 PM

I get an error when I try to play it.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2014, 03:42 PM

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2014, 07:06 PM

As a weapon, the technique would have to be totally different. Swords themselves have different techniques depending on type; but in general you had a pointy end, likely one or two cutting edges, and a flat concussive side. That all makes huge impacts on what you should do with a blade in a particular situation.

Lightsabres are supposed to be razor sharp every which way. Stuff that would never work with a sword would be deadly with a lightsabre.
But even a extremely sharp sword requires some momentum or strength behind it. Something with the weight and balance of a flashlight, that makes even fencing touches fatal? All I see it two guys circling each other with the swords pointed straight at each other.

I think the only thing that makes a lightsaber a usable weapon is the precog powers of the jedi.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2014, 09:26 AM

Sorry, I'm not sure what you're saying...? It's too sharp and dangerous to use as a weapon?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2014, 01:19 PM

But even a extremely sharp sword requires some momentum or strength behind it. Something with the weight and balance of a flashlight, that makes even fencing touches fatal? All I see it two guys circling each other with the swords pointed straight at each other.

I think the only thing that makes a lightsaber a usable weapon is the precog powers of the jedi.
Take the scene in the cantina.

Is it able to sever an arm due to strength, sharpness, or magic?

It always felt to me like sharpness. OWK didn't need to swing it particularly hard.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 4, 2014, 01:29 PM

I always thought of it functioning like a hot knife through butter. Hence it wrecks even metal it comes into contact with.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2014, 01:38 PM

So it's "sharp" enough, gravity is enough force to make it cut.

The blade has no weight, so gravity won't pull it, but you get the idea.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2014, 02:59 PM

You'd assume the blade must have weight from watching the movies....otherwise why are they holding it old-school two-handed claymore style? They swing those things like they're 20 pounds....

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2014, 03:20 PM

You can sorta fanwank that.

No amount of force will make a lightsaber cut through another lightsaber.

They're not swinging it like it's a bat so it will cut well, they're trying bash away the opponent's weapon.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 4, 2014, 03:27 PM

Can the force make a lightsaber sharp enough to cut through another lightsaber?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2014, 03:42 PM

You can't really check the swing of a sword and make a killing blow. The inertia of sword means you'd need to be twice a strong, only use half your strength in the initial swing, or swing twice. With a lightsaber you don't need to put any strength into the swing. At any point the only limit on which way you can change the direction of it is the joints of your body. If you want the fight to be anything other than a 50/50 proposition you need more. I'm proposing that being able to see in all directions and predict the near future would be enough to allow skill to be a factor.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2014, 03:45 PM

@Dakar

I'm not sure if you're really asking a question or teasing me for deciding to use the non Star Wars meaning of the term "force".

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2014, 04:31 PM

Crappy construction or materials can make one lightsaber superior to another where one could "break" another's beam. ie. Artificial crystals, used in most sith weapons, can vary greatly in quality, more so than those that form naturally.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2014, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Crappy construction or materials can make one lightsaber superior to another where one could "break" another's beam. ie. Artificial crystals, used in most sith weapons, can vary greatly in quality, more so than those that form naturally.

Aaaand.... Breathe out. Time to go "outside"
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 4, 2014, 04:47 PM

@Dakar

I'm not sure if you're really asking a question or teasing me for deciding to use the non Star Wars meaning of the term "force".
It was a can God make a rock so heavy he can't lift it joke

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2014, 05:05 PM

You can't really check the swing of a sword and make a killing blow. The inertia of sword means you'd need to be twice a strong, only use half your strength in the initial swing, or swing twice. With a lightsaber you don't need to put any strength into the swing. At any point the only limit on which way you can change the direction of it is the joints of your body. If you want the fight to be anything other than a 50/50 proposition you need more. I'm proposing that being able to see in all directions and predict the near future would be enough to allow skill to be a factor.
Isn't everything you have said above confirming that technique would be all-important? "It's sharper and way lighter than a sword, inertia wouldn't matter nearly as much" - just seems to be an argument for blinding speed sword fights where one wrong move means you've lost at least a hand; in other words, everything comes down to perfect technique. You seem to be drawing the opposite conclusion, but I think I'm missing why...?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 4, 2014, 05:17 PM

I think you guys need to start breaking out screencaps to back up your arguments

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2014, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
Aaaand.... Breathe out. Time to go "outside"
A non-nerdy talk about Star Wars, on a tech forum? You're in the wrong thread.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2014, 07:30 PM

Isn't everything you have said above confirming that technique would be all-important? "It's sharper and way lighter than a sword, inertia wouldn't matter nearly as much" - just seems to be an argument for blinding speed sword fights where one wrong move means you've lost at least a hand; in other words, everything comes down to perfect technique. You seem to be drawing the opposite conclusion, but I think I'm missing why...?
Isn't the one wrong move is actually one wrong guess because each person has to many options.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2014, 09:13 AM

I certainly agree that making a sport faster and more dangerous will increase randomness, but really fail to see how that in any way minimizes the importance of technique. In my view, it would have the opposite effect - if you're off balance or out of position, you're almost certainly guaranteed to lose.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2014, 12:26 PM

You mean die not lose right?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2014, 12:58 PM

Not really....I hear you can lose a hand and the fight, and still turn out okay

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2015, 12:08 PM

New trailer in 45 minutes.

Live stream of Star Wars Celebration panel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bZUUfW6FvE

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

andi*pandi
Apr 16, 2015, 01:39 PM

I'm not sure I want all that information.

however, rolling droid = aww.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2015, 02:03 PM

So have they shown the trailer yet? I just now tuned in.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

andi*pandi
Apr 16, 2015, 02:20 PM

When I tuned in they were just interviewing the actors and such. Not sure if they'd already played it, if so, why is it not a separate link???

nothing new here, except some trippy swiping navigation that made me seasick.

http://www.starwars.com/the-force-awakens/trailers/

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2015, 02:21 PM

andi*pandi
Apr 16, 2015, 02:27 PM

thank you. That looks... fun.

chrome vader mask reminds me of terminator though.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2015, 02:32 PM

I feel like a kid again.

After watching the panel discussion and seeing R2 and BB8, the cast... I can't wait to see this.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2015, 02:37 PM

I was sorta "meh" compared to the last one.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2015, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
thank you. That looks... fun.

chrome vader mask reminds me of terminator though.
Was it chrome, or dusty?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2015, 02:39 PM

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of nerds suddenly cried out in joy and were suddenly spooging.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2015, 04:34 PM

I was sorta "meh" compared to the last one.
Then you might want to stay clear of this movie. I read the leaked script on the internet and it goes into vague detail why Tatooine is a desert planet.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2015, 04:37 PM

Holy. ****ing. Shit.

Stoked. Way stoked.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 16, 2015, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Then you might want to stay clear of this movie. I read the leaked script on the internet and it goes into vague detail why Tatooine is a desert planet.

OH MAN

****nocaps

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2015, 04:40 PM

Let's not get to excited. I remember being stoked after the first Phantom Menace trailer was released. We all know how that turned out.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 16, 2015, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Let's not get to excited. I remember being stoked after the first Phantom Menace trailer was released. We all know how that turned out.
I loved the cowardly asian aliens.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2015, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I loved the cowardly asian aliens.
Not for nothing, but those characters bothered the crap out of me. I'm not asian or anything, but the accent... Japanese.

Actually, it was kinda funny.

Forum Links
Forum Rules