Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 'Bout that time again...Will you renew .Mac this year?

View Poll Results: Will you renew .Mac this year?
Poll Options:
Yes 41 votes (53.25%)
No 17 votes (22.08%)
Never had .Mac 19 votes (24.68%)
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll
'Bout that time again...Will you renew .Mac this year? (Page 2)
Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 29, 2004, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by Krusty:
How exactly does that work ? They send you a physical box ? With what inside ? It can be used to renew an existing account ?

Sorry, never done it any way but directly thru Apple. $80 makes it a REAL steal.
Inside the box is the code you use to either set up a new account or renew an existing account.

Sosa
Senior User
Sep 29, 2004, 10:25 PM

How exactly does that work ? They send you a physical box ? With what inside ? It can be used to renew an existing account ?

Sorry, never done it any way but directly thru Apple. $80 makes it a REAL steal.
I have the same question. I followed an earlier link to buy.com and it has .mac for $76. Can I use the shipped box to renew a membership? I still don't think its a good deal at all, just less of a bad deal.

Update: question answered, thanks.
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2004, 04:37 PM

You buy the box/CD-ROM at a discount, and when you're ready to renew, you go to .Mac and click on the red renewal button, which takes you to the form. Here's where you have to be careful: instead of clicking on the Renewal button (which will charge the full amount to your credit card), look for the small blue print that says "Enter activation key." Click on that, enter the activation key (which is on the CD-ROM envelope), and hit Continue. This takes you to a page with your credit card info, which they need in case you buy extra space or e-mail accounts. Hit Continue and you'll end up with a final order form showing the balance due (which will be zero if you don't buy any extras). Hit Continue once more and you'll get a confirmation.
( Last edited by zigzag; Sep 30, 2004 at 04:47 PM. )

tavilach
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2004, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by Xeo:
Well, I got it for free again, so I guess I'm renewing.
How?!
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2004, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by tavilach:
How?!
I believe he's registered student developer and he gets through that.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2004, 10:47 PM

Originally posted by E's Lil Theorem:
I believe he's registered student developer and he gets through that.
Serious? I haven been an ADC student member for a couple years and never heard about this awesome deal.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2004, 03:39 AM

Originally posted by Kenneth:
Serious? I haven been an ADC student member for a couple years and never heard about this awesome deal.
Hmm, I thought it was through the student dev program, but maybe not. I guess it's time for him to come in and clarify.

Forum Links
Forum Rules