Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Electoral-Vote.com under attack

Electoral-Vote.com under attack
UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 05:20 AM

from www.electoral-vote.com

The site has had technical problems repeatedly in the past several days and has been down several times. I didn't want to discuss this, but I don't want anyone to think the problem was an incompetent hosting service. Just the opposite. The site has been subjected to a full-scale, well-organized, massive attack with the clear intention to bring it down. The attackers have tried repeatedly to break in, but the server is a rock-solid Linux system which has stood up to everything they threw at it and hasn't crashed since I got it in May. While our troops are fighting and dying to bring freedom of speech to the Iraqi people, there are forces in America who find this concept no longer applicable to America. I don't know who is behind this attack yet (although we are working it), but it is too professional to be some teenager working from a home PC. Given that all the hate mail and threats I get come entirely from Republicans, I can make an educated guess which side is trying to silence me, but I won't say. And I won't surrender to cyberterrorists.
I hate blanket statements but I think there are far more republicans out there who want to win at all costs.

Discuss....or not.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

badidea
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2004, 05:39 AM

Republicans, internet terrorists, foreign agents....I am sooooo glad my computer monitor can't shoot (yet)!!

chalk_outline
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2004, 07:09 AM

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Oct 13, 2004, 07:12 AM

What the F?!

People are so retarded sometimes. Electoral vote.com is for entertainment and a bit of perspective like the other sites that cover this. This is just ruining the fun for the rest of us, not making a point.

I'll be making my point in a poll booth nov 2nd.

Jerks. (the scriptkiddies that is)

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2004, 07:56 AM

It's funny that you assume it's Republicans... http://www.electoral-vote.com has consistently had Bush ahead in the polls.

In fact, even when he was down, he still had more Strong and weak states as compared to Kerry who has a considerable number of "Barely Kerry" states.

If you only look at that site, Bush only needs a handful of swing states and he is a lock.

It's a cool site.

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Oct 13, 2004, 08:00 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
It's funny that you assume it's Republicans... http://www.electoral-vote.com has consistently had Bush ahead in the polls.

In fact, even when he was down, he still had more Strong and weak states as compared to Kerry who has a considerable number of "Barely Kerry" states.

If you only look at that site, Bush only needs a handful of swing states and he is a lock.

It's a cool site.

badidea
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2004, 08:21 AM

It's funny that you assume it's Republicans...
Just to make sure:
By "you" you are referring to the person who wrote the text in the quote from the first post, don't you??

Dakar
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2004, 08:28 AM

I fail to see what would be gained if the site were down.

djohnson
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2004, 11:48 AM

It's a cool site.
I give this a I wonder how he would know that it was republicans that are sending the hate mail? Let's see, I generally vote republican and if my candidate was leading the majority of the time, why would I send hate mail? Oh and do these people sign their emails, Joe Blow, Republican????

djohnson
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2004, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by Dakar:
Agreed as well. I think it is a great asset to see the majority of the polling results on a single page.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2004, 11:54 AM

Given that just last week the site was hacked to give every state and every electoral vote to Kerry, I think you are reaching to say it's all Republicans.

From my point of view, I'm just tired of being called names because I support the President. It's frustrating. I don't believe I call other people names because they support Kerry. We just disagree.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2004, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by Dakar:
My only guess is that someone is afraid of what voters might do should they see poll results from sources other than those that they regularily expose themselves to.

UNTeMac  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 12:08 PM

Well remember it was the author of the site who believes it's republicans attacking him based on the hate mail he receives. I wouldn't think it would be that hard to figure out someone's political leanings if they wrote you hate mail about a political site.

:Shrug: It should be noted that just a few swing states go Kerry's way and the election is his. There's no way anyone can say they know either candidate is going to win.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Oct 13, 2004, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by davesimondotcom:
Given that just last week the site was hacked to give every state and every electoral vote to Kerry, ... snip
It was?

Forum Links
Forum Rules