Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Ignore Lists

Ignore Lists (Page 2)
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2004, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by 11011001:
This guy probably sees 10% of slashdot, which is good.. cus, there are so many stupid things sometimes.
More than in the Lounge ?
Hard to believe

-t

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2004, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
I'm not on that list? I'm appalled.
You must be the most inoffensive person in the world! What's the betting he reads all the replies from his ignore list to see if they took the bait?
tin pot, garden shed

nforcer
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2004, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
Anyway what does that +5 slashdot thing mean?
Comments on Slashdot are marked with points if they are insightful, informative, funny, or some other criterion with 5 being the highest and -1 being the lowest. Users can moderate other users' comments via meta-moderation. So browsing at +5 gives you comments that tend to be better than the rest.

Originally posted by OreoCookie:
So who do you talk to? How can you follow most threads without seeing the replies?
Even with all of those people ignored I would guess I still see about 80% of any given thread (unless its the lounge, in which case it falls somewhat)

Originally posted by CharlesS:
From the length of that list, I'd guess one of them is "posting."
GG
You may need an Aleph One beatdown for smartassism

One of them is having a signature I hate. I wouldn't want to turn off signatures in my preferences, because then I would miss out on all the other cool ones
Genius. You know who.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Oct 15, 2004, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by nforcer:
One of them is having a signature I hate. I wouldn't want to turn off signatures in my preferences, because then I would miss out on all the other cool ones
That's "a signature I hate" in regards to their content ... right? Because otherwise you might just have to put yo ... uh, nevermind ... not sure that would work ...

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2004, 06:49 PM

My current ignore list:

Mrjinglesusa

119 members right now. If I could add one particular mod it would have been a nice 120, but I can't .

There are only about 2 ways you can really get on the list. I don't mind retardism as long as its funny and not over done. I don't mind people disagreeing with me, either. Pretty much, just saying or doing or supporting one of the 2 things is the way to get ignored.

Every so often I cull my ignore list. I sometimes browse ignored comments to see who has redeemed themselves. I'm not sure who still has an active account or not, as some of the names I have not seen in a while. I wish there was some way to automatically check and remove names no longer in use/banned/etc.

I don't think the ignore list is for those oversensitive. I just think it's a nice way to wade through a lot of crap.

And yes, I browse slashdot at +5.
SWEET! And I don't think I have even responded to one of your posts besides this one.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 15, 2004, 06:51 PM

Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own list.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Oct 15, 2004, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by AKcrab:
Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own list.
heheee ...

OreoCookie
Oct 15, 2004, 07:18 PM

Even with all of those people ignored I would guess I still see about 80% of any given thread (unless its the lounge, in which case it falls somewhat)

But all of the people who are on some ignore list earned it through their service in the Lounges.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2004, 07:30 PM

My current ignore list:

119 members right now. If I could add one particular mod it would have been a nice 120, but I can't .

You forgot me! No respect, I'll tell ya.

I had about ten people on mine for a while. I post more in the political lounge than here, and it's sometimes hard to follow a thread when somebody's on ignore, especially when that person has no life and posts here incessantly. There's nobody on it now. Besides, there's never an inappropriate time for laughter.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Truepop
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2004, 07:38 PM

just CD hanks

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2004, 07:55 PM

Originally posted by OB1:
You must be the most inoffensive person in the world! What's the betting he reads all the replies from his ignore list to see if they took the bait?
While I appreciate the thought, I'm quite abrasive, and on quite a few "ignore lists" here on MacNN.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2004, 08:55 PM

My current ignore list:

[...]

[...]

And yes, I browse slashdot at +5.
hehe, i would add that mod, too, and have posted about it . i'm impressed that someone has an ignore list longer than mine -- i'm a big fan of them on various forums i read.

here's mine:

eno
El Pre$idente
clubmedia.com
NoMoreBanning68
imaxxedout69
permanent68
Superchicken
saddam hussein
John C. Smith
John F. Smith
Zimphire
spacefreak
dhinkel
dcolton
netgear
nam_pog
Spliffdaddy
MacNStein
ghost_flash
SamuraiDL
djohnson
Jihad on Tap
Capt.McDuff
John N. Smith
PacHead
typoon
JohnSmith68
Captain Obvious
JohnSmith69
Planet_EN
SimeyTheLimey
oh, and i also read slashdot at +5, much the same concept. i also have a few +5 posts to my name there, too : http://slashdot.org/~ajna (as well as one -1 Offtopic first post attempt. I got third post )

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2004, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by Truepop:
just CD hanks
Oh, you're just angry I didn't pull out the other night.
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

Truepop
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2004, 11:17 PM

no. it's comments like that.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2004, 11:21 PM

wait a minute.....

smiley to word ratio- a nice solid 1

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2004, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:
Only idiots have huge ignore lists.

And some people who say they have people on ignore also lie, because they do indeed read comments incase it is addressed to them, then they make believe that they have that person on ignore and take some screenshot and post it showing who is on ignore. Then they'll proceed to read the next comment from the "ignored" person.

I bet some asshats who have me on ignore even read this. That's right, you asshat, I am talking about you, you specifically.

just CD hanks
Originally posted by CD Hanks:
Oh, you're just angry I didn't pull out the other night.
no. it's comments like that.
HAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHA
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2004, 11:43 PM

I think ignore lists are dumb. Some people are like those car wrecks down in the Beltway. "Hmm�that's a pretty good one right there�hey, another one! Damn! How the **** did you get a stop sign through your roof�and manage to knock a suicide jokey into a microbus?" It's terrible, but you keep looking to see how bad it gets. Mostly in conspiracy or relativistic threads.

Sometimes I'm tempted to use it. I'm not going to name names, but his name rhythms with Taliesin. The PL has been boring the past couple weeks.

But in the end I just ignore the ones that I know are going to be terrible�or try to.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2004, 03:01 AM

Originally posted by spiky_dog:
hehe, i would add that mod, too, and have posted about it . i'm impressed that someone has an ignore list longer than mine -- i'm a big fan of them on various forums i read.

here's mine:

oh, and i also read slashdot at +5, much the same concept. i also have a few +5 posts to my name there, too : http://slashdot.org/~ajna (as well as one -1 Offtopic first post attempt. I got third post )
See, here's an example of one of those people who can't handle frank evaluation, and their fragile sensibilities get bruised far too easily. As you'll notice all the conservatives who post on a regular basis are listed, god forbid that this person should actually see a different opinon than their own. It's like going through life with your head buried in your own bum. Very funny.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2004, 03:28 AM

See, here's an example of one of those people who can't handle frank evaluation, and their fragile sensibilities get bruised far too easily. As you'll notice all the conservatives who post on a regular basis are listed, god forbid that this person should actually see a different opinon than their own. It's like going through life with your head buried in your own bum. Very funny.
Heh heh. Bum

+1

Rhyme!

Here are some people that I'd ignore [if I wanted to]:
LBK
Logic
Taliesin
Zen Jihad
version
tie
Scientist
pheonixboy
MindFad

and others.
But there's no point to going on a board and ignoring everyone. Then it'd be you and your echo, not that echos aren't cool or anything. Don't like it. Ignore it.
Anyone know what happened to Lerkfish?

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 16, 2004, 03:36 AM

Originally posted by CreepingDeath:
He 'burned out' in the 'atmosphere' of the pol lounge. It's a nasty place.
Wish he would stop by the lounge every now and again.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2004, 03:39 AM

Unfortunately he didn't think his plan through. Currently he is still attached to a cross.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2004, 03:41 AM

Yeah, we need some comic relief.
"This is prong 244 of the conspiracy behind closed doors in Washington with the Bush administration and neocons of 12 galaxies with space rockifications and quadroundolations of imperalist quagmires and the knowing consent of 120 galaxies with biocolonizations and microsscubagearifications and�yyeeeeeaaarggggh!"

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2004, 03:49 AM

I've seen the atmosphere in other poli forums, and in comparision, it's downright cordial here at MacNN. If he can't handle the, comparatively, more polite environment of our forum, what makes him think that he can survive in real life? It's blunt, stark, and sometimes bruising, but it's hardly "nasty".
- Thomas Paine

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2004, 03:52 AM

I've seen the atmosphere in other poli forums, and in comparision, it's downright cordial here at MacNN. If he can't handle the, comparatively, more polite environment of our forum, what makes him think that he can survive in real life? It's blunt, stark, and sometimes bruising, but it's hardly "nasty".

Which websites? The gaming ones seem more harsh.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2004, 03:59 AM

Which websites? The gaming ones seem more harsh.
www.uspoliticsonline.com is particularly "nasty", as is www.itsallpolitics.com , however, for the true depths of "nastiness", try the poli newsgroups.
- Thomas Paine

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2004, 04:06 AM

I don't care enough about idiots to e-ignore them.

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 16, 2004, 10:46 AM

He was the one of the main contributers to that "atmosphere" with his 3 pronged propaganda and paranoia.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 16, 2004, 11:37 AM

I would ignore everyone if I could, but alas, I am a social creature. It's my cross to bear.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Forum Links
Forum Rules