Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > HELP: OS X 10.3.6 freezes at grey apple

HELP: OS X 10.3.6 freezes at grey apple
UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2004, 11:44 AM

I restarted my computer yesterday after a long uptime and now it can't get past the grey apple logo. It just sits there before the spinning icon comes up. I can't hear any HD activity. I'm able to shut it down and start up from the CD into 9 and switch the startup disk and it boots into 9 with no problem. I've reset the PRAM, run both Disk First aid and Norton to no avail.

I'm not sure, but I think this may have happened when my computer didn't restart after the 10.3.6 update a few days ago. I just let it keep running until restarting yesterday. I don't know if that could be the culprit or not.

Anything else I can do before I backup and reinstall? It's finals week, I don't have time for this.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

bergy
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2004, 03:54 PM

Can you restart from your OSX install disk 1 and run disk repair?
Tiger 10.4.8

UNTeMac  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2004, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by bergy:
Can you restart from your OSX install disk 1 and run disk repair?
Yes, I've already done that. It didn't find any problems. I also repaired permissions.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2004, 05:27 PM

Easiest solution is to do an Archive and Install. Not backup and reinstall; this isn't Windows. Archive and Install will leave all your existing files intact. You won't really be able to tell the difference between your old setup and your new one, except that the new one will work. To do an Archive and Install, just click on Options... when it is available in the OS X installer and you'll be up and running in about 30 minutes (as opposed to Windows where you'd be up and running in about 2 weeks).

If you don't want to go the Archive and Install route, your best hope is to boot in Verbose Mode (command-V) and try to reproduce the errors that appear as exactly as you can in here. Maybe they will give clues. It'll probably be faster just to archive and install, though.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

bergy
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2004, 05:32 PM

At this point it would be great if you had Disk Warrior ... and uninstalled Norton as quick as you could .. It may be the source of some of your problems ... if not now then in the future ..
I'm not even sure if it is compatible with 10.3.6
Tiger 10.4.8

UNTeMac  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2004, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by bergy:
At this point it would be great if you had Disk Warrior ... and uninstalled Norton as quick as you could .. It may be the source of some of your problems ... if not now then in the future ..
I'm not even sure if it is compatible with 10.3.6
I'm not sure what caused it but I went ahead and backed up my data/app's on my other partition and reinstalled 10.3.0. Re-updating to 10.3.6 over software update right now. ::crosses fingers::

Thanks for the replies.

Forum Links
Forum Rules