Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Experts: Tsunami may ease terrorism

Experts: Tsunami may ease terrorism
UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2005, 11:03 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapc...ism/index.html

From the article:

"'This is a golden opportunity for the United States,' says Gunaratna. The refrain that the United States and the West are losing the war of ideas, especially in the Muslim world, was the main topic at a recent conference about al Qaeda.

But counter that with images of U.S. helicopters bringing aid to places like Aceh, delivering something that insurgents can't, and Gunaratna thinks that devastation can unwittingly bring some good. That it might overwhelm the message from bin Laden, at least in Indonesia, which is after all the most populous Islamic country in the world."
Interesting angle I hadn't thought about. Unaffected areas may still have the reports of US aid spun by terrorists but given the millions of people affected, we could make a dent in ideology here.

Discuss...
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 4, 2005, 11:07 PM

Can't buy love, you know.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2005, 12:01 AM

Originally posted by vmarks:
Can't buy love, you know.
Especially when you've pledged a total of 350 mil so far (which is what ? ... approximately how much we spend in 8 hrs in the Iraq war)

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2005, 02:17 AM

Originally posted by Krusty:
Especially when you've pledged a total of 350 mil so far (which is what ? ... approximately how much we spend in 8 hrs in the Iraq war)
7 minutes actually.

But the results are so much cooler
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules