Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Degree Advice: Does the specific field in undergraduate degrees really matter?

Degree Advice: Does the specific field in undergraduate degrees really matter?
UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2005, 05:01 AM

I have a choice to make. I'm old in college terms and I need to graduate and I have a choice. I can graduate with a Bachelor of Music degree in May '06 or with Bachelor of Arts in Music in August '05. 3 semesters vs. 1 semester and a summer.

My question is for those who've been around a bit is: does the field in which your undergraduate degree is in really matter? How have you all fared in your respective fields in relation to your degree choice? Personal anecdotes welcome.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

Ham Sandwich
Jan 7, 2005, 07:17 AM

Considering all the college graduates I know work at Starbucks, no, it shouldn't matter what your degree is in.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2005, 07:36 AM

Originally posted by UNTiMac:
I have a choice to make. I'm old in college terms and I need to graduate and I have a choice. I can graduate with a Bachelor of Music degree in May '06 or with Bachelor of Arts in Music in August '05. 3 semesters vs. 1 semester and a summer.

My question is for those who've been around a bit is: does the field in which your undergraduate degree is in really matter? How have you all fared in your respective fields in relation to your degree choice? Personal anecdotes welcome.
It depends on what you want to do with the degree. Given that you are talking about two liberal arts degrees, I'd say the answer is no, it doesn't make any difference at all.

The only time it does is when the degree is a specific feeder to a graduate program or career. Unless these are one of those degrees, don't worry about it. You specialize in your graduate degree.

jlemons
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2005, 08:28 AM

My thoughts exactly SimeyTheLimey!

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Jan 7, 2005, 10:46 AM

Is the training you receive any different? While (as Simey said) the logistical and administrative consequences of your decision depend on what you want to do next, if the programs are substantively different and you want to (say) go to graduate school, one program could be better than the other.

Example: I had a choice between a BS in Economics or a BA in Economics. The BS required more mathematics and less foreign languages/liberal arts compared with the BA. Now that I'm in graduate school, I'm very glad I opted for the BS.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2005, 03:33 PM

your degree will be pretty much as useless as any other unless you go to music grad school. so unless you're planning on doing so cut your losses. to qualify the above statement, some degrees clearly prepare you for a career track, such as CS. most liberal arts degrees, imo, simply prepare you for grad school or general non-degree-related work. the real benefit comes in you learning how to learn, and that's unlikely to be related to your particular degree choice.

(CS degree, now in med school. and it's working out fine, go figure.)

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2005, 11:01 PM

Originally posted by UNTiMac:

Hey, don't ask me. I have a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree, and I operate heavy equipment, among other things.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2005, 11:44 PM

In most cases, no. It may help you if your graduate program is similar, otherwise, no.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

historylme
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2005, 07:25 PM

Most of my friends, upon graduating, wound up taking jobs completely unrelated to what we had studied.

For a Liberal Arts major, save the money, graduate early and then: work or go back to school for a higher degree.

If anything, your undergraduate degree opens doors to more possibilities. Having the extra courses will not give you an edge on your paper resum�.

Forum Links
Forum Rules