Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Filevault wants 4067.0 GB of space to turn off

Filevault wants 4067.0 GB of space to turn off
UNTeMac
Mac Elite
May 23, 2006, 01:49 PM

I'm trying to turn off Filevault on my system and it wants 4067 GB to do it (yes I checked that it was GB). Any suggestions since my HD is only 160GB?
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

Apfhex
Mac Elite
May 23, 2006, 01:55 PM

4 terabytes? Are you sure it says that? Does it let you turn it off anyway? Seems more likely they it actually means 4,067.0 GB.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

UNTeMac  (op)
Mac Elite
May 23, 2006, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Apfhex
4 terabytes? Are you sure it says that? Does it let you turn it off anyway? Seems more likely they it actually means 4,067.0 GB.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
May 23, 2006, 02:38 PM

Looks like you'll have to get an Xsan.

Just kidding. In all honesty, I would go to an Apple store and talk to a genius -- they may be able to get Apple to support you some for free on this. Otherwise, you could copy all of the items out manually, create a new account, disable the old, and replace all of your items. Not ideal, but it would work.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

nforcer
Mac Elite
May 23, 2006, 05:32 PM

It's a bug; I've experienced it before although I never bothered to work around it. What I suspect is happening is filevault wants to create an encrypted disk image large enough to hold the contents of your user folder, but the free space available on your HD is not enough to do this. This is not to imply that filevault needs 2x the size of your user folder under normal use, merely that it creates the encrypted disk image lazily so when activated it temporarily requires that much. If you slimmed down your user folder, probably by moving a bunch of large files out of it and onto the main HD, I bet it would work.
Genius. You know who.

UNTeMac  (op)
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 04:40 AM

Fixed after freeing up around 20 GB of space on my hard drive.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 25, 2006, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Apfhex
What, pray tell, is the difference between 4067.0GB and 4,067.0GB? Both mean 4.067 trillion bytes, or around 4 terabytes. Adding the comma between thousands doesn't change the value.

tooki

Apfhex
Mac Elite
May 25, 2006, 01:02 PM

Sorry, I meant Four Thousand Sixty Seven Mega Bytes, lol. Anyway it seems that's definitely not the case.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 25, 2006, 04:29 PM

Indeed!

tooki

frdmfghtr
Senior User
May 28, 2006, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by tooki
What, pray tell, is the difference between 4067.0GB and 4,067.0GB? Both mean 4.067 trillion bytes, or around 4 terabytes. Adding the comma between thousands doesn't change the value.

tooki
It could also be a difference between US and Eurpoean numbering.

If I rememebr right, in some Eurpoean countries, the same number is written as 4.067,0 GB. The roles of the comma and decimal point are reversed--the decimal is a separator, the comma denotes the fractional part. In that case, 4067 GB = about 4 terabytes, but 4,067 GB = a shade over 4 GB. (Yes, I neglected the trailing zero in my example.)

Just my $0.02 (or $0,02) cents

Forum Links
Forum Rules