Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Front Row Enabler

Front Row Enabler
UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2005, 09:13 PM

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/19947

Works on my eMac...now does anyone have a way to bind wireless mouse buttons to Front Row?
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

JellyBeen
Senior User
Nov 20, 2005, 09:40 PM

Sure, most people think you need a remote or a bluetooth phone to control Front Row. Well, thats not exactly true.

How about using a wireless mouse?
I've been using my Logitech MX 700 up to 20 feet with Front Row.
All you need is the excellent USB Overdrive to remap all the keys you need on your mouse to control FR.

Here is the link : http://www.usboverdrive.com/
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

UNTeMac  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2005, 10:36 AM

It seems a little silly that Apple won't just allow you to bind mousekeys to certain functions in Front Row. I know they want people to buy the new iMacs but they sure didn't make it very hard to get past the slight restriction. I think we'll see a remote and IR kit with front row before long.

Just watched a DVD from across the room and used my Logitech wireless mouse to control it

Thanks for the tip about USB overdrive. One problem I have is I have five button functions assigned on my mouse:
Left click - esc
Right click - right arrow
Wheel click - return
wheel up - up arrow
wheel down - down arrow

I'm missing a left arrow function and it's not necessary but you can't rewind videos/music or fully control DVD's without it. Anyone have any ideas besides buying a mouse with more buttons?
( Last edited by UNTeMac; Nov 21, 2005 at 10:49 AM. )
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

gadster
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2005, 05:18 AM

You can just enable Front Row in the 'Keyboard and Mouse' system prefs, if the keyboard is your thing.
e-gads

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2005, 07:55 AM

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 23, 2005, 11:06 AM

FRE works great. Only beef i have with FrontRow now is that if video podcasts accessed through itunes, are audio only. if you want the video, you have to go to movies and choose the video podcast from there.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

mileslong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2005, 08:29 PM

guys im having trouble setting my usb overdrive. can someone please help me with the settings so i can use my bluettoth mouse to operate front row? i tried to set them like the gentleman had them above but i dont see the same options for some reason.

thanks!

UNTeMac  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2005, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by mileslong
guys im having trouble setting my usb overdrive. can someone please help me with the settings so i can use my bluettoth mouse to operate front row? i tried to set them like the gentleman had them above but i dont see the same options for some reason.

thanks!
The way I did it was by setting up an application specific set of settings in USB Overdrive. You have find the Front Row.app in your System folder when selecting the application you're using. I just disabled USB overdrive for the rest of the system.

aburosea
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2005, 06:02 AM

Hey guys.

Anyone know a way to use a touchscreen with frontrow. seems to me that it should be possible since we managed to get the mouse to work...

what do you think..

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2005, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by aburosea
Hey guys.

Anyone know a way to use a touchscreen with frontrow. seems to me that it should be possible since we managed to get the mouse to work...

what do you think..
Surely there is special software that comes with touchscreens, you would have to configure that to map to the arrow keys, but I don't know how well it would work.

A remote control seems like the most suitable interface.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2005, 01:15 PM

I just bought a Keyspan remote to control Front Row. So far so good...

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

UNTeMac  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2005, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78
I just bought a Keyspan remote to control Front Row. So far so good...
So you can bind keys to this remote like you can anything else? This looks perfect.

Bilemshious
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2005, 03:18 AM

So I used SteerMouse to control the buttons on my Bluetooth M$ mouse. The buttons work perfectly in navigating the menus. BUT after I start a movie or music and then let it sit and do its thing, the Bluetooth mouse goes to "sleep" to conserve battery power. This then causes Bluetooth to lose the connection. Which then causes Front Row to quit. There's gotta be a way around this right? Anyone else experience this problem?

UNTeMac  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2005, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Bilemshious
So I used SteerMouse to control the buttons on my Bluetooth M$ mouse. The buttons work perfectly in navigating the menus. BUT after I start a movie or music and then let it sit and do its thing, the Bluetooth mouse goes to "sleep" to conserve battery power. This then causes Bluetooth to lose the connection. Which then causes Front Row to quit. There's gotta be a way around this right? Anyone else experience this problem?
The Keyspan Remote is your best bet. You can still find the recently discontinued one for about $20. Mine works perfectly.

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 13, 2006, 02:11 PM

I had Front Row enabled on my eMac under 10.4.3 but 10.4.4 seems to have dfisabled it. Does anyone know if Front Row Enabler 1.0.1 will still work? And do I still need to install the Front Row 1.0.1 update from Apple, or is it now included as part of 10.4.4?

EDIT - I see that Front Row Enabler has been updated. Never mind.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

UNTeMac  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2006, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by megasad
I had Front Row enabled on my eMac under 10.4.3 but 10.4.4 seems to have dfisabled it. Does anyone know if Front Row Enabler 1.0.1 will still work? And do I still need to install the Front Row 1.0.1 update from Apple, or is it now included as part of 10.4.4?

EDIT - I see that Front Row Enabler has been updated. Never mind.
Same thing here. Just rerun Front Row Enabler and restart.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2006, 01:40 PM

Does anyone have a mirror of the latest version? Thought I'd give it a whirl only to find that the guy responsible for the app received a letter from Apple legal.

kman42
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2006, 12:12 PM

I'm not disregarding apple's right to restrict software in ways that they see fit, but I do find it curious that they won't release FR for all Macs. Is it just a 'quality user experience' issue? Are they concerned that people without remotes will find it less than perfect or that it would run slowly on older machines? It seems to me they would want this on as many macs as possible; it is really cool.

kman

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2006, 06:40 PM

Try searching for it on a major torrent site (I found one, but don't want to get in trouble for posting such things here).

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2006, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by kman42
I'm not disregarding apple's right to restrict software in ways that they see fit, but I do find it curious that they won't release FR for all Macs. Is it just a 'quality user experience' issue? Are they concerned that people without remotes will find it less than perfect or that it would run slowly on older machines? It seems to me they would want this on as many macs as possible; it is really cool.

kman

Its listed as a major feature of the new macs, they want people to have every incentive to upgrade to new machines. If they are already running Front Row than one of the major incentives is gone.
( Last edited by moonmonkey; Mar 9, 2006 at 06:52 PM. )

UNTeMac  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2006, 08:00 PM

Still, it's silly that they actively restrict users that want to use this. I'm guessing they figure mac users are so loyal that they're not going anywhere so this kind of thing isn't bad for business.

UNTeMac  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2006, 06:09 PM

Well, a lot has happened since Front Row Enabler was removed but now that it's back up, I can't seem to get it to work. It still removes my menu bar items even when I follow the instructions exactly. Anyone have a similar experience and a fix?

Forum Links
Forum Rules