Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Longest Road Trip? To where?

Longest Road Trip? To where?
UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2006, 12:46 AM

In the spirit of the resurrected highest mileage thread...

What's the longest continuous road trip you've taken? Road trip as in, continuous driving, stopping only for food, gas, or sleep. If you stay in one place for more than a night, that's a destination, not a stop.

Mine was from Denton, TX to Eureka, CA with my girlfriend almost two years ago stopping in Kingman, AZ to sleep. 1,960 miles. 16 hours one day and 13 the next including the time change. We did the reverse 6 days later.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Aug 9, 2006, 01:17 AM

Belle Fourche, South Dakota to Concord, California stopping only for petrol, food, two antique stores, two naps of about an hour each, and a quick stopover at Mt. Rushmore. Left Belle Fourche at about noon and arrived in Concord about 9:00p.m. the next evening. Last leg of a two week-5,000 mile trip. I don't think my bed ever looked and felt as good!
"Why did this thread cross the line? Because its **** got stuck in a chicken." - Demonhood

andi*pandi
Aug 9, 2006, 01:21 AM

I've done tuscon to boston in 3 days, only stopping for food or sleep. not fun.

However I consider the longest road trip the 27 days cross country, maine to california and back. By your rules that doesn't count however, as we stayed in various locations for a day or three here and there.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2006, 01:25 AM

Chicago, IL to Denver, CO (approx. 1,000 miles or 16.5 hours)

Nine years ago, I drove nonstop with my girlfriend. We took turns driving.

SomeToast
Senior User
Aug 9, 2006, 02:23 AM

Minneapolis, MN to Sunnyvale, CA a year ago with me and a cat (tried taking turns, but I couldn't stand the tunes the cat would play on the iPod while she drove).

870 miles day one, 666 miles day two, 538 miles day three for ~2080 miles total.

Didn't mind doing it once, but wouldn't want to make it a habit.

Demonhood
Administrator
Aug 9, 2006, 02:46 AM

black bear theory
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 9, 2006, 02:49 AM

austin TX to fairbanks AK - 4,176 miles - i made the trip in a little over 5 days including almost 16 hours in denver (mostly spent drinking) and 12 hours at the us-canadian border (getting some things worked out). i guess it averages out to about 1,000 miles/day.

i had had my car 5 days when i finally arrived in AK.

i'm sure glad i got the cigarette lighter power cord for my ipod.
Earth First! we'll mine the other planets later.

stephenr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2006, 02:51 AM

Adelaide, South Australia to Perth, Western Australia. just under 2800km (1 739 miles)
700km (434 miles) the first day, 2100km (1 304 miles) the second day.

Part of it was the longest straight road in australia (140km from memory)

Did this with a friend in January.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2006, 04:41 AM

Eatontown, NJ - Santa Monica, CA

Manchester, NH - San Francisco, CA

Various trips between OH - CA, OH - CO, CA - CO, CO - NM, AZ - CA, AZ - NM, CA - NV, AZ - NV
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2006, 04:47 AM

Perth-Sydney or Sydney-Perth. 4110km (2550 miles). I've been backwards and forwards a few times.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2006, 05:04 AM

LA to Key West in 30 hours, driving basically non-stop with one friend driving and the other sleeping, only stopped for eating, nature calls and fire crackers in New Mexico

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2006, 08:32 AM

i've done detroit to san diego in 2 days; only stopping for gas and food; and one stop in mountains of new mexico...got snowed in...so i slept. coming back, did it in 5 days so i could do some tourist stuff. about 2300 miles one way.

i've done detroit to atlanta and back x 2; only stopping for gas and food. so that is 810 miles one way. roundtrip = 1620. 2x = 3240 miles (moving some friends).

i've also done smaller trips nonstop (cept for gas/food): detroit to myrtle beach; detroit to new orleans; detroit to panama city beach; detroit to dover.

i drive all over.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2006, 08:51 AM

In college, my longest single-day drive was Chicago to Williamsburg, VA -- 950 miles on my clock.

As a family we used to do Minneapolis -> Ft. Lauderdale, Minneapolis -> Cape Cod all the time. And in college there were a lot of Providence -> Minneapolis trips, non stop, with some buddies. Those drives were about the best way to just pass miles: always passing the next car while looking for the perfect song on the radio.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2006, 08:52 AM

Tampa, FL > Atlanta, GA > somewhere in PA > NYC. I think it was around 1600 or so miles. The way back was shorter as it was just NYC > Tampa.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2006, 09:48 AM

Ames to Des Moines, probably about 40 minutes, NO STOPS!!
Okay, I'm pathetic. My friends are talking about maybe going to Minnesota or Kansas City sometime though.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2006, 10:15 AM

Bozeman, MT to Ashville, NC - 2,100 miles, 3 days, stopping in SD to see the badlands, Chief Joseph and Rushmore, Chicago to see Wrigley Field and the Sears Tower, Cincinnati to see my sister for lunch.

Billings, MT to Stockton, CA - 1,100 miles - took this trip a few times when I went to school in Stockton.

Bozeman, MT to Portland, OR - 1 day, 900 miles, many times. Most memorable was when my wife and I left at about 8:30 AM Portland time on December 31st, hit snow around Missoula, lots more snow around Butte, had to slow down to about 20 mph over the pass (wife wanted to stop in Butte, but it's 80 miles from home), ended up home right at 12:00 midnight to start the new year.

Earlier this summer, I went from Bozeman to Garden Grove, CA, seeing Bryce Canyon, the Grand Canyon, stayed in Garden Grove with my grandparents for 5 days, then went back through Sequoia, Yosemite then up to Portland, OR and back home. Total milage on the car was 4,200 miles.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

baw
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2006, 11:21 AM

4000+ miles. From Alaska to Ohio. 3 and a half days.

And Cincinnati to New Orleans in 12 and a half hours. 900+ miles

UNTeMac  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2006, 01:08 PM

Damn. You Alaska roadtrippers are crazy! Sounds like fun though.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

villalobos
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2006, 01:13 PM

This one.

Not very long distance wise but it was in a Ryder moving truck limited to 60 MPH.....

Oh yeah it was the other direction (From Mi to Co)

Monique
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2006, 01:16 PM

When I first came to Calgary, so from Montreal to Calgary 2 days and half non-stop on the bus.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2006, 01:42 PM

Portland, Oregon to Houston Texas, when I was 9. We were pulling a trailer with a '68 Plymouth Satellite. I thought Kansas would never end.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2006, 02:06 PM

I don't think I've done a road trip longer than 1700 km or so. That would have been from VƤsterĆ„s, Sweden to TromsĆø, Norway. Only stopped to sleep and then marched on.

Then I've travelled in train, without stopping except to change trains, from Alicante, Spain to Aalborg, Denmark.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

bstone
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2006, 06:26 PM

Boston, MA to Modoc County, CA 3031.27 miles.

No joke. I did it in about 10 days, stopping to see friends along the way.

Then did the reverse a month later.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2006, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by chris v
Portland, Oregon to Houston Texas, when I was 9. We were pulling a trailer with a '68 Plymouth Satellite. I thought Kansas would never end.
That IS the consideration when you get to that part of the country. How quickly you can get through a state and Kansas IS a b--ch!
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2006, 07:29 PM

I have also done Orlando Fla. to Austin, TX in 18 hours, flat. Ah, to be young and insane again. We stopped for beer & gas in New Orleans (accidentally got on the Ponchartrain causeway when we should have stayed north). Other than that, I don't recall the car stopping.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2006, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo
IThen I've travelled in train, without stopping except to change trains, from Alicante, Spain to Aalborg, Denmark.
Ferry/train/ferry/train/ferry nonstop: Helsinki to Patras. And a taxi in Brindisi from the train to the ferry. Damn Brindisi was a pit.

contactsarf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2006, 11:40 AM

Hi, I am looking for partners to do a road trip from India to Russia. The route would be India - Nepal - China - Mongolia - Russia and Back.

Havent planned anything yet, will do once I have a team of 4 - 5 Like minded people, who are enthusiastic about driving, ready to take the risk of a route never travelled.

We will probably start next year, if every thing goes well.

So would you be intrested ? please let me know,

* This seems insane, dangerous and immpossible, but the adventure would be ...... well I have no words rigth now.

you can contact me via yahoo Messenger my id is [email protected]

Cheers
Sarf

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2006, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Timo
Ferry/train/ferry/train/ferry nonstop: Helsinki to Patras. And a taxi in Brindisi from the train to the ferry. Damn Brindisi was a pit.
Whoa! Nice trip! Did you go east from Helsinki or west?

(yes, Italy is pit and full of Italians)

V

iREZ
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2006, 11:52 AM

do trips from l.a. to vegas count? cuz i make about 7-10 of those a year .
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2006, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by voodoo
Whoa! Nice trip! Did you go east from Helsinki or west?

V
west. next time east

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2006, 12:26 PM

Mass to Orlando, 24hrs. The way back was from Miami, and took about 27 Hrs.

Longest I ever spent in the seat was this past April when I went to Chicago, 1000 miles, 17 hrs in the seat. Once we stopped I had such severe velocitation that I had a tough time standing up straight in front of a urinal.

Both trips made with my 95 Intrepid with clunky ball joints.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2006, 04:56 PM

I was in Brindisi for about 8 hours in 1992, waiting for a ferry boat to Greece. I thought it was fine.

BTW, that road trip was 3 days: Stuttgart, Germany to Brindisi, Italy via Switzerland and Italy's toll highway system. Then ferry boat from Brindisi to Igoumenitsa, Greece, then drive from one side of Greece to the other (Igoumenitsa to Drama) over the Greek National Highway.

...with a 3 year old in the car. My cousin (her father) stuck his 16 year old American cousin in the back seat with her, and had me read fairy tales to her. Nonstop. For three days, except at night when she was sleeping and when we were on the ferry boat and she could play in the kids' playroom on the ship. By the time we reached the village in Greece I had "The Three Little Pigs" memorized. In Greek.

EDIT: Oh, and I was amazed at the kids' (all were under the age of 6) ability to play cooperatively with each other, even though they couldn't speak (or understand) each others' languages. They all spoke their native languages to each other. There was my cousin's daughter, who spoke Greek, one girl from England, a boy from Spain, a boy from Italy, and a girl from France.
( Last edited by Person Man; Aug 29, 2006 at 05:03 PM. )

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2006, 05:17 PM

west. next time east
Smart move. Less Swedes

(although you could go north, then west through Norway, then south... that would be safe from Max's relatives)

V

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2006, 05:37 PM

San Francisco to Santa Fe to Kansas City to Chicago to Boston. One way (I'm staying in Boston).

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2006, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by mojo2
Eatontown, NJ - Santa Monica, CA

Manchester, NH - San Francisco, CA

Various trips between OH - CA, OH - CO, CA - CO, CO - NM, AZ - CA, AZ - NM, CA - NV, AZ - NV
Eatontown, NJ? That's where I grew up.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2006, 07:24 PM

From Virginia to Seattle by way of Memphis, Amarillo, Zion National Park in Utah, Vegas, Tucson and Portland. Me and a friend, under four days, slept outside every night.

America is a beautiful country.

Forum Links
Forum Rules