Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Did I win?

Did I win?
tightsocks
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2010, 05:29 PM

What kind of b.s. are they going to give me when I go in to try to 'claim my prize?'

Winning numbers:

The fine print:

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2010, 05:50 PM

The event of duplicate winning numbers, in which case "the Number Match Contest Is Void and No Prizes Will Be Awarded."

They'll be glad to take your personal details, though, in order to Re-Mail the Promotion at a Future Date (and sell your data).

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2010, 06:03 PM

mail piece must match a randomly selected winning number to win corresponding prize
They made the whole thing deliberately obtuse. The fine print is vaguely suggesting that the number on your mail piece must match a randomly generated number at the dealership in order to win a prize. Outside of the fine print, it reasonably suggests that you won, and nowhere in the fine print does it disclaim that a mail piece is not necessarily a winning mail piece when the numbers match.

My guess would be that they’re gonna give you BS.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2010, 06:30 PM

They seem to be claiming they have one car, one TV, and 14,998 gift cards.

If they actually have that many gift cards, I imagine they'd give you one.

What's a "Giant Eagle"?

tightsocks  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2010, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
They seem to be claiming they have one car, one TV, and 14,998 gift cards.

If they actually have that many gift cards, I imagine they'd give you one.
Should I accept anything less than a $500 card?
Maybe $500 is the total value of all 14,998 available cards??
Any way you interpret it it doesn't make much sense.

As iMotor said, they are being deliberately unclear in both the the big and fine print...

What's a "Giant Eagle"?
Grocery store chain in parts of Ohio, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2010, 07:19 PM

I'm telling you, the point will be that they've had hundreds of cards printed with the 52109 on them, and the rules clearly state that if there are multiple winning numbers, the whole contest is void.

It's about the only thing in that barrage of bullshit that's clearly worded.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2010, 07:20 PM

Upon reflection, it does seem unlikely that Giant Eagle handed over $7,499,000 worth of gift cardage.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2010, 07:21 PM

It is just a cheap method to get your name and address, then plenty of junk mail will follow from their mailing houses and others.

tightsocks  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2010, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I'm telling you, the point will be that they've had hundreds of cards printed with the 52109 on them, and the rules clearly state that if there are multiple winning numbers, the whole contest is void.

It's about the only thing in that barrage of bullshit that's clearly worded.
So they printed duplicate winning numbers accidently-on purpose.
Clever.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2010, 07:43 PM

Maybe. Go in and see, but be aware that if my assumption is correct, the whole thing is intended to get your personal data (which they'll need to re-mail the promotion to you at a Future Date) and sell it.

tightsocks  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2010, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Maybe. Go in and see, but be aware that if my assumption is correct, the whole thing is intended to get your personal data (which they'll need to re-mail the promotion to you at a Future Date) and sell it.
I'm pretty sure that they already have my name and address since they mailed the flyer to my house. (addressed to my name, not 'current occupant').

The idea might just be to get people to come into the showroom to check their winning numbers.
"Oh sorry we had to cancel the contest, but would you like to buy a car while you are here..."

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2010, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by tightsocks View Post
So they printed duplicate winning numbers accidently-on purpose.
Clever.
Except if that is what they did, it might be considered fraudulent misrepresentation by your state. Just because they put a ‘oops, my bad’ clause in the fine print doesn’t let them be intentionally deceptive.
Originally Posted by tightsocks View Post

"Oh sorry we had to cancel the contest, but would you like to buy a car while you are here..."
That’s exactly what they’ll say. But I don’t get it; why do you want to piss someone off so you sell them a car?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2010, 12:38 AM

I actually make crap like this for a living, and I can tell you a few things... one, you have not won. There is no reason to have the WINNING NUMBERS printed on the card and then have you scratch off a number. It's a stupid mind game.

That said, the disclaimer is poorly written. My take-away is that they either owe you a $500 gift card, or you can raise a stink. But who knows. I didn't spend much time reading it... but there are some typos in the disclaimer and that's always a fun sign.

What we almost always do is have scratch-offs like this where every single card reveals a winner (and every card is identical), but the prize is really just some crapola. Like you have to scrathc to win 5, 10, 25 or 50% off! And every card is the 50% WINNER! People scratch it expecting a 5% and see the 50% and get excited. It sounds great until you realize it's really everyone is getting it and that sales aren't every really sales. Every month is a HUGE SALE!

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2010, 10:57 AM

Every card is a winner.

You'll be tricked into sitting through some BS seminar on time shares, or something as equally stupid, and time wasting.

Then you'll end up with a free nights stay at some 1 star shithole in some unheard of city 500,000 KM away.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 5, 2010, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
What we almost always do is have scratch-offs like this where every single card reveals a winner (and every card is identical), but the prize is really just some crapola. Like you have to scrathc to win 5, 10, 25 or 50% off! And every card is the 50% WINNER! People scratch it expecting a 5% and see the 50% and get excited. It sounds great until you realize it's really everyone is getting it and that sales aren't every really sales. Every month is a HUGE SALE!
I've gotten this exact thing before, and assumed that because I'd won, everybody must win. I don't win anything.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2010, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by kmkkid View Post
Every card is a winner.

You'll be tricked into sitting through some BS seminar on time shares, or something as equally stupid, and time wasting.

Then you'll end up with a free nights stay at some 1 star shithole in some unheard of city 500,000 KM away.
That would be totally awesome, as that would be far side of the moon, high orbit!

Except of course, part of these deals is that you pay for the trip there.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2010, 12:37 AM

That would be major if we discovered that the far side of the moon had a hole with sh¡t in it.

indigoimac
Senior User
Dec 6, 2010, 12:45 AM

PITTSBURGH!?

Giant Eagle is the semi-local grocery store chain (extends over to the Cleveland area)... for whoever asked.

Beyond that, looks like you have to match a piece they draw. Best of luck.
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

Forum Links
Forum Rules