Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Steve Jobs' sister shares his final moments, last words

Steve Jobs' sister shares his final moments, last words
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2011, 05:11 AM

Steve Jobs' sister shares his final moments, last words - AppleInsider
Originally Posted by AppleInsider
Novelist Mona Simpson, Apple co-founder Steve Jobs' biological sister, has shared her eulogy for her brother, offering an intimate look at the last moments before he died, including his surprising last words.

The New York Times published Simpson's eulogy, which was shared at a memorial service for Jobs on Oct. 16 at Stanford Memorial Church. She wrote how as a young girl she had hoped for her absent father to be "rich and kind and come into our lives…and help" her and her mom. Her dream eventually came true, but through her brother, rather than her father.

"Even as a feminist, my whole life I’d been waiting for a man to love, who could love me. For decades, I’d thought that man would be my father. When I was 25, I met that man and he was my brother," she wrote.

Jobs, who was adopted, didn't meet Simpson until they were both adults. While living in New York, Simpson was contacted by a lawyer in 1985 who notified her that her long-lost brother was "rich and famous."

The lawyer refused to disclose his client's name, so Simpson's coworkers started a betting pool with actor John Travolta as the leading candidate. She shared that she secretly hoped that he was "a literary descendant of Henry James -- someone more talented than [her], someone brilliant without even trying."

"When I met Steve, he was a guy my age in jeans, Arab- or Jewish-looking and handsomer than Omar Sharif," she wrote.

Jobs and Simpson went for a long walk, where he explained that he was in the computer business. Simpson said she had yet to buy a computer and was considering buying a Cromemco. Jobs told her that it was a good thing she'd waited, as he was working on something that was going to be "insanely beautiful."

Simpson went on to share things she had learned from Jobs during three distinct periods that she called "states of being," his full life, his illness and his dying.

According to her, Jobs wasn't ashamed of working hard even if "the results were failures." After being ousted from Apple, he was disappointed, especially when he wasn't invited to a meeting of 500 Silicon Valley leaders with the then U.S. president, but he still worked hard at the new company he had started, NeXT.

"Novelty was not Steve’s highest value. Beauty was," Simpson said, noting that he probably owned enough trademark black cotton turtleneck shirts for everyone at the memorial service.

Similar to an earlier essay where Jobs' first serious girlfriend shared about Jobs, Simpson shared how much of a romantic her brother was.

"[Jobs] was like a girl in the amount of time he spent talking about love. Love was his supreme virtue, his god of gods," she wrote, noting that he would often call out to men he thought women would consider attractive to see if they would come to dinner with Simpson.

Simpson shared how much Jobs was in love with his wife, Laurene, saying that his love for her "sustained him."

When Jobs became ill, his family "watched his life compress into a smaller circle," Simpson wrote. After his liver transplant in 2009, he had to relearn how to walk.

"He tried. He always, always tried, and always with love at the core of that effort. He was an intensely emotional man," she said.

Jobs endured the pain for his family, setting goals for himself: his son's high school graduation, a trip to Japan with his daughter, the launching of a boat he was building that he hoped to retire on with his wife.

But, some of his goals he was unable to meet. Jobs passed away on Oct. 5 at age 56 after a years-long fight with cancer.

Recounting the manner in which Jobs approached death, Simpson said "what he was, was how he died." According to her, "death didn’t happen to Steve, he achieved it," adding that, as his breathing slowed, "he seemed to be climbing."

To conclude, Simpson shared how Jobs' final words as he looked at his sister Patty, his children and his wife, then over his shoulders, were "OH WOW. OH WOW. OH WOW."
Wow. Your fans miss you, Steve.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2011, 10:32 AM

Interesting. But her writing style makes me think "Jobs' sister" is actually MacNN Kevin in disguise.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2011, 02:20 PM

The way it was described, SJ's passing bears remarkable similarity to another legend's death:

If you don't know what I'm referring to, you can go watch the scene in Generations. The movie is terrible but Kirk's death scene is worth watching once if you don't remember it. My brother said to me, "Steve Jobs is confirmed as a Star Fleet captain."

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2011, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
The movie is terrible but Kirk's death scene is worth watching once if you don't remember it you've refused to ever watch said terrible movie just on principle.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2011, 06:50 PM

I read about this, and was fascinated. What did Steve see or feel, at the end, to prompt him to say that? I suppose we'll all find out eventually, but when we do, it will be too late to tell anyone.

I think it will go down as one of life's great mysteries, along with:
- Does God really exist?
- If He does, why does he continue to let the Yankees exist?
- How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a Tootsie pop?

Tiresias
Oct 31, 2011, 10:34 PM

Why must we assume he saw something? I think the fact that he was on the point of death and knew it is more than enough to justify his words.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2011, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Why must we assume he saw something? I think the fact that he was on the point of death and knew it is more than enough to justify his words.
For that matter why do we assume that the story wasn't heavily embellished?

freudling
Banned
Oct 31, 2011, 10:40 PM

Right. I find it funny the people still believe in God and afterlife and lit tunnels. We're all bags of salt water. We die. There's no more. The end. The energy from your body gets assimilated back into the universe. Your identity, forever gone.

Best stated at the end of BladeRunner:

All those moments... will be lost... in time... like tears. in. rain. Time, to die.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2011, 10:41 PM

Because "oh wow" stated three times implies something surprising, unexpected. The way it's related, his last utterances feed into the very human desire for meaning in death and quite possibly what lies on the other side of that veil.
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
For that matter why do we assume that the story wasn't heavily embellished?
I don't think his sister would have any cause or desire to embellish the story.
Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Right. I find it funny the people still believe in God and afterlife and lit tunnels. We're all bags of salt water. We die. There's no more. The end. The energy from your body gets assimilated back into the universe. Your identity, forever gone.
You're entitled to that point of view. But do you really discount any possibility that you may be wrong?

Tiresias
Oct 31, 2011, 10:48 PM

His final words have a certain psychological verisimilitude.

They remind me of what are said to be Freud's last words, "How absurd! How absurd!"

Of course Freud's are the words of a man experiencing a moment of existential exasperation, while there is a note of boyish wonderment in Steve's words. But I think they may have both been in similar places: transported by incredulity and astonishment at what is about to happen to them.

Tiresias
Oct 31, 2011, 10:52 PM

I'm not saying there's no god. I'm just saying that, in this instance, it is not necessary to invoke one to explain why Job's said what he did. I mean, he was dying. In a man's life there is nothing more final, more terrifying, more awe-inspiring than facing the end. Why do we need to cheapen it with a schmaltzy and threadbare image of angels and tunnels of light?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2011, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I don't think his sister would have any cause or desire to embellish the story.
When was the last time you were at a funeral? Family members do this all the time, it makes them feel better to eulogize in such a romantic fashion, I guess...

The process of dying is highly complex, there could have been any number of things going on, even if the story should be taken at face value.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2011, 10:58 PM

Certainly he experienced something unexpected.

I don't know if he saw something that related to (a) God. If so, as someone who believed in Buddhism, his reaction should have been OH SHIT.

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2011, 10:58 PM

I'm not saying there's no god. I'm just saying that, in this instance, it is not necessary to invoke one to explain why Job's said what he did. I mean, he was dying. In a man's life there is nothing more final, more terrifying, more awe-inspiring than facing the end. Why do we need to cheapen it with a schmaltzy and threadbare image of angels and tunnels of light?

Because angels are people like Morgan Freeman or Brad Pitt?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2011, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Certainly he experienced something unexpected.

I don't know if he saw something that related to (a) God. If so, as someone who believed in Buddhism, his reaction should have been OH SHIT.

-t

Why's that? Isn't it possible to be Buddhist and not tethered to a specific God?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2011, 11:05 PM

Science has explained these common hallucinations.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2011, 11:25 PM

Why do we need to cheapen it with a schmaltzy and threadbare image of angels and tunnels of light?
Who (seriously) wrote anything about angels and tunnels of light?

Tiresias
Nov 1, 2011, 12:00 AM

Swedenborg believed in a god that wore different masks to make himself amenable to different cultures. Since Muslims are in the habit of worshipping Mohammed, for example, God provides them with an angel in heaven who pretends to be the Prophet.

God, if it exists, is too vast to be contained in one religion.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2011, 12:11 AM

Swedenborg believed in a god that wore different masks to make himself amenable to different cultures. Since Muslims are in the habit of worshipping Mohammed, for example, God provides them with an angel in heaven who pretends to be the Prophet.

God, if it exists, is too vast to be contained in one religion.

To Republicans Jesus would also be white.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2011, 12:26 AM

I consider myself fairly solidly Atheist/Agnostic, but even I suspect that the essence of what we are is complex enough to survive the death of our bags of salt water.

freudling
Banned
Nov 1, 2011, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
I consider myself fairly solidly Atheist/Agnostic, but even I suspect that the essence of what we are is complex enough to survive the death of our bags of salt water.
I've studied a lot of Philosophy (did a BA in it)...

Anyway, I've spent far too much time than I care to admit thinking, studying, and contemplating the existence of God, with a focus on the meaning of life.

While I am one man and things are open to interpretation, God in the way people have imagined him in the media and through most organized religion seems totally absurd to me.

There is no "moral" God. Good people die everyday. They get murdered. Die of cancer. Get run over by cars. Really bad people, some of them, live out long lives. Kill and manipulate others... while this doesn't demonstrate that God doesn't exist it just shows that being moral won't save you from death. God isn't there to 'protect' moral people walking on Earth.

God 'himself'... the vastness of the idea of something so much better and smarter than us, is interesting. But the way people have formulated the concept of him and created institutions out of those beliefs is delusional.

After all the trippy nights and contemplation, all I know is that I know nothing. I feel so weak and fallible all the time that I feel like my ability to understand the world is beyond limited. I've got just 5 senses. 'God' might have an 'infinite' number for instance, whatever the hell that means.

Human beings are simply arrogant, simplistic, delusional slugs that think they're so much more. Religion is just a manifestation of how flawed human beings really are. It's like Saldem Rushdie said: "I feel sorry for people who think they have it figured out".

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2011, 01:29 AM

Anyway, I've spent far too much time than I care to admit thinking, studying, and contemplating the existence of God, with a focus on the meaning of life.

While I am one man and things are open to interpretation, God in the way people have imagined him in the media and through most organized religion seems totally absurd to me.

There is no "moral" God. Good people die everyday. They get murdered. Die of cancer. Get run over by cars. Really bad people, some of them, live out long lives. Kill and manipulate others... while this doesn't demonstrate that God doesn't exist it just shows that being moral won't save you from death. God isn't there to 'protect' moral people walking on Earth.

God 'himself'... the vastness of the idea of something so much better and smarter than us, is interesting. But the way people have formulated the concept of him and created institutions out of those beliefs is delusional.

After all the trippy nights and contemplation, all I know is that I know nothing. I feel so weak and fallible all the time that I feel like my ability to understand the world is beyond limited. I've got just 5 senses. 'God' might have an 'infinite' number for instance, whatever the hell that means.

Human beings are simply arrogant, simplistic, delusional slugs that think they're so much more. Religion is just a manifestation of how flawed human beings really are. It's like Saldem Rushdie said: "I feel sorry for people who think they have it figured out".

Nicely said, I agree!

Rumor
Nov 1, 2011, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
I read about this, and was fascinated. What did Steve see or feel, at the end, to prompt him to say that? I suppose we'll all find out eventually, but when we do, it will be too late to tell anyone.

I think it will go down as one of life's great mysteries, along with:
- Does God really exist?
- If He does, why does he continue to let the Yankees exist?
- How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a Tootsie pop?
1) I have no definitive answer. (i.e. this isn't the Pol/War lounge0
2) If so, he/she/it must be a fan (leaps and bounds more WS wins than any other team)
3) Each person, day by day, is different. May be 329 one day, and 463 the next by the same person.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2011, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
(leaps and bounds more WS wins than any other team)

They've also been around for leaps and bounds more years than most teams, and have leaps and bounds more money than most teams too.

Sorry dude, but the Yankees stink

Dork.
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2011, 07:10 AM

I don't think she embellished the story, she had more than enough material for the eulogy and didn't have to make stuff up.

I know for a fact that God is not a Yankee fan, because God is supposed to be the source of all that is Good, i.e. not the Yankees.

The 4th biggest Mystery of Life is why the heck didn't Beltran swing that one time, but I figured that might be too obscure for general Lounge consumption, so I didn't mention it in my list.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2011, 07:21 AM

Maybe its Satan who is a Yankees fan. Also a Man United fan.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2011, 08:16 AM

I'm not talking about "God" or religion.

freudling
Banned
Nov 1, 2011, 12:02 PM

I'm not talking about "God" or religion.
I was dead for about a minute. Can't believe I was revived. There was nothing, for me. Blackness, nothingness, no consciousness. Zero of anything. Then, in a panic, I'm gasping for air and light begins to fill my eyes, objects, and the world, begin to get into focus again.

This experience combined with science... about what we are and how bodies get broken down and recycled into the world... about the atomic theory, particles... about how consciousness is best described as an experience based on a certain arrangement of matter...

Can't speak for anyone else though.

Tiresias
Nov 1, 2011, 01:45 PM

Man's "experience" after death may be identical to his "experience" before life. I was non-existent from the big bang until 1980.

It wasn't so bad.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2011, 01:48 PM

Man's "experience" after death may be identical to his "experience" before life. I was non-existent from the big bang until 1980.

It wasn't so bad.
Yeah, but you missed one hell of a party.

As did I. '80 was a good year.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2011, 02:09 PM

I don't understand why people feel the need to turn his final words into a religious experience. I just assumed his last words had to do with looking at his family and expressing wonderment and joy.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2011, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
I don't understand why people feel the need to turn his final words into a religious experience. I just assumed his last words had to do with looking at his family and expressing wonderment and joy.
An alternative and sadly more dour view might be that he experienced enormous pain before death, and was only responding to such?

The above highlights the pointlessness of this new insight.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2011, 07:26 PM

Or maybe, since he was experiencing respiratory distress, he was gasping and really saying 'ow'.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2011, 07:43 PM

I have asthma. A person in respiratory distress, gasping for air, can't say ow or much of anything else.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2011, 08:03 PM

There are any number of things that could have resulted in those final words. Some people will want to believe it was a spiritual event, others will want to believe it was a personal realization and still other will want to believe it was something completely mundane. And, the nature of such things means that everyone will be able to interpret the event to suit what they want to believe.

But, the sad reality is that none of us has the faintest clue as to what caused his utterance. We can debate all we want about what we want to believe.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2011, 09:32 PM

There are any number of things that could have resulted in those final words. Some people will want to believe it was a spiritual event, others will want to believe it was a personal realization and still other will want to believe it was something completely mundane. And, the nature of such things means that everyone will be able to interpret the event to suit what they want to believe.

But, the sad reality is that none of us has the faintest clue as to what caused his utterance. We can debate all we want about what we want to believe.
Agreed!

freudling
Banned
Nov 1, 2011, 09:41 PM

I think I know why he was saying it, and I'll finish what he was saying:

He couldn't believe his number was up... he didn't have the solution to his problem... he succumbed to something beyond him... he accepted defeat... his entire life passed over in front of him... all those people, all that advice... all those Keynotes... all those products... all those plans... all that contemplation... how weak and fallible I really am! All of this... life... things... so far beyond us!

Oh wow! Oh wow! Oh wow! I am but a mere mortal.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2011, 09:52 PM

I think I know why he was saying it, and I'll finish what he was saying:

He couldn't believe his number was up... he didn't have the solution to his problem... he succumbed to something beyond him... he accepted defeat... his entire life passed over in front of him... all those people, all that advice... all those Keynotes... all those products... all those plans... all that contemplation... how weak and fallible I really am! All of this... life... things... so far beyond us!

Oh wow! Oh wow! Oh wow! I am but a mere mortal.

You are really into sharing your wild speculations with us, aren't you?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2011, 11:37 PM

Huh?

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2011, 11:43 PM

I believe he saw the Pearly Gates, noticed the visible hinges and thought "OH WOW! OH WOW! OH WOW! THIS IS HELL!"

But seriously, I guess he was probably thinking "Well, this is it."

Death is just a BASE jump into the void.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2011, 01:25 AM

I wish I said that.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2011, 01:26 AM

I bet Steves sister is religious, her interpretation seems to have an agenda behind it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2011, 03:12 AM

It was one last acid flashback.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2011, 05:57 AM

I doubt his last words had anything to do with Apple.

cgc
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2011, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by FrandAron View Post
Jobs last sentence is implied with Apple Inc the future ? : oh wow, oh wow, oh wow.....
What are you trying to ask? Your sentence is FUBARed. BTW, "all your base are belong to us."

andi*pandi
Nov 3, 2011, 07:58 AM

There is already a thread about the famous last words, as well as a memorial thread, in the Lounge. Prepare to move thread in 3.. 2.. 1..

Tiresias
Nov 3, 2011, 10:29 AM

There's a thread about famous last words? I'd like to see that.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2011, 11:24 AM

Last words.

Many People: "I did it my way"

Steve Jobs: "You all did it my way. And those who didn't should have."

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2011, 08:49 PM

OH WOW. OH WOW. OH WOW.

So this is nirvana. Sweet double rainbow.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

beb
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2011, 12:36 PM

I think he shoulda said "Rosebud."

Forum Links
Forum Rules