Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Mysterious stuck/colored pixel on Ghz Powerbook...

Mysterious stuck/colored pixel on Ghz Powerbook...
SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2002, 09:19 PM

Hello -

My new Ghz Powerbook has a strange problem. I have heard of stuck pixels where they remain one color (or black/white) but my lcd screen has one that switches color!

Its freaky! The pixel goes from red to blue and back and forth. Its a big pain to have any of these messed up pixels, but its worse when they flip-flop colors....

Is this common!?

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2002, 09:49 PM

Pixel defects aren't common at all. In fact, only one out of several million transistors fails. That's not what we see, though. We see a misbehaving pixel!

Sometimes, pixels malfunction only under certain colors. Your best bet is to try massaging the pixel lightly with a cloth. If that doesn't do the trick, you're out of luck.

alisonc
Dec 18, 2002, 11:48 AM

Don't worry about the changing color, but I understand your grief because any stuck/dead/fluctuating pixel is annoying. On my PB 667 DVI I had one near the middle of the screen. Bright turquoise. I massaged the backside of the screen, behind the funky pixel, and it disappeared. However, during the 6 months I had that computer, it would occasionally get stuck again. Every time I noticed it, I would lightly press the back of the screen and it would go away.

So try that, maybe it will work.

BTW, my new 1Ghz/SD PB has a perfect screen, but the fan is running all the time. My 667 was silent, but with a funky pixel. Which is worse? I dunno.

Vanquish
Dec 18, 2002, 12:05 PM

alisonc, did you really take out the LCD and massage it ?

alisonc
Dec 18, 2002, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by Vanquish:
alisonc, did you really take out the LCD and massage it ?
NO! I just massaged the back of the screen, i.e. the outside of the case. The screen is so thin that rubbing it from behind can have an effect on the LCD pixels.

Whatever you do, don't rub hard�that might damage the screen. In my case, a very light rub right behind the funky pixel was enough to make it go away.

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2002, 09:13 PM

I just picked up my new PB today from the service tech at CompUSA, as he swapped my HardDrive from my last one, and to my total surprize, I pulled the plastic protector off the screen, and presto! The stuck Pixel came off with it!! It was just dust!!

Man, am I releaved!
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

Forum Links
Forum Rules