Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Need a PDA Recommendation as a new college student -

Need a PDA Recommendation as a new college student -
SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2003, 07:42 PM

Hello,

If I knew a great PDA forum, I would ask there... but I don't. It would need to sync with my mac seamlessly though, so I guess macnn is a good place to ask!

Anyways, I am going off to college in a couple weeks and a PDA seems like a good thing to have. I already own a Powerbook, iPod, and a new Cell Phone (has calender/address book functions). If you think a PDA isn't needed for college, let me know. Maybe I'm going overboard and the ipod will do just fine or the cell phone will suffice.

I was looking for a PDA that would not be too expensive, say under 400. Preferably 350 or less. I wanted something that was small, easy to use, and has many functions for organizing and some limited media playback. Mp3 playback means nothing to me, since the iPod is already the best for that. A digital camera device would be nice, since I am into art and photography, but I do have a separate digi-cam. Bluetooth is not a big deal, since my cell phone doesn't leverage the technology and my poor 15" Powerbook doesn't have it built in. It would be nice I suppose to have WIFI, but I will be toting around the laptop around anyways so its more of a novelty. The campus is WIFI capable with many hotspots, since it is seriously required to have a WIFI Laptop as an incoming student.

More of less, I was thinking about either the:
Palm Zire 71 (my likely choice)
or a Sony TG50.

What do you think?
The Zire 71 looks great, but how is the Graffiti 2 system? I have never used that system (much less a PDA), so how will it help taking notes in a class or something. Maybe the built in keyboard on the Sony models is better for me?
This might be a stupid question, but how much data entry would I really do with a PDA? They are mostly for viewing data from a computer (iCal, Address Book etc), right?

Thanks alot - I'm kind of clueless on this issue.

slider
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2003, 10:20 PM

I don't think you need a PDA for college, your weeks are mostly the same, and exams and major projects are usally on a syllabus which you can jot down in a small semester calender. I have never seen anyone take notes on a PDA, although I have read peopld doing so in this forum. I record most of my lectures and my note taking has evoled around those recordings, there lies the problem, battaries run out and you miss something. Seriously I would really just stick to pen and paper here as much as you can. If your weekly schedule was never the same and things constantly got moved around on you and your time was extremally limited, or you needed to maintain a database then sure. I would think the only people in college that might find a PDA really useful are those that collect a lot of data in the field, which would eliminate repetative entries with the right software ie: Documents to go.

Anyways, I'd save the cash for a nice display for your powerbook if you don't already have one, you will spend a lot of time in front of your computer and a good display would be worth it. Can the PDA. If for some reason you need it you'll have time to get it, your not going to be in class and be like, "Damn, if I only had that PDA".

Just my two cents.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2003, 10:35 PM

I disagree, I used my Palm ALL the time at boarding school, and am getting a PocketPC for college now that Missing Sync is out. I did take notes on either it or my PowerBook, however, Palm screens are a little on the small side.

I highly prefer electronic notes, especially in English, History, and Com Sci -- written notes are still superior in the maths and sciences. A 12 oz PDA is much easier to lug around than a 6 lb PowerBook, and less of a loss if it gets damaged or stolen!

I'd recommend the Zire 71 for your needs, it's a great PDA. For something more powerful, look at the HP iPaq 2215.

coolphage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2003, 10:58 PM

I have a visor edge. I use it all the time. There are so many programs that are usefull for it. I do flashcards on it. I read notes from my computer on it. I finish papers on it. I find that i use it less for dates and stuff like that but more for study aids. I also love the address book. I have not used my ipod much for this but i think it would be just fine. I dont have a cell. Nor do i have an laptop. I will get one soon but I still think that a pda will be usefull. I like the visor line for the ability for add springboard. It works just fine with the mac. I have never had a problem with it.
Good luck
Nick
Loving the 12" powerbook.

Forum Links
Forum Rules