Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > My Predictions for an '04 to '08 Bush Administration

My Predictions for an '04 to '08 Bush Administration
UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 12:48 PM

The end of abortion rights.

Pollution controls will be rolled even further back.

Nothing will be done about the impending oil crunch. (i.e. reduced dependance on petroleum as fuel)

Religion will further entangle itself with government, specifically, the young-earth, anti-evolution, anti-science, evangelical, end-times are coming, Tom Delay crowd.

Our list of allies will grow thinner.

Commercial space flight will begin to become a reality.

OS X 10.7
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

Nicko
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2004, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by UNTiMac:

Pollution controls will be rolled even further back.

Nothing will be done about the impending oil crunch. (i.e. reduced dependance on petroleum as fuel)

Religion will further entangle itself with government, specifically, the young-earth, anti-evolution, anti-science, evangelical, end-times are coming, Tom Delay crowd.

Our list of allies will grow thinner.

Commercial space flight will begin to become a reality.

OS X 10.7
Um, new ipod?

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 12:54 PM

I posted this in the other thread but I guess it belongs here:

My predictions:
  • direct challenge to Roe v. Wade in the next 4 years
  • further dismantling of the social Safety Net
  • privatization of Social Security
  • Medicare/Medicaid being renamed "Pharma Subsidy Tax"
  • horrific slashes to essential services across the nation (public transportion, emergency medicine, social services, affordable housing subsidy)
  • massive increase in corporate welfare
  • the further Walmartization of our economy as we continue to exchange high-paying union jobs for low-wage, no benefit McJobs.
  • blood, violence and unstability in Iraq and Afghanistan for another 4 years
  • another war somewhere else
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 12:58 PM

Constitution tweaking to allow Schwarzenegger vs. Clinton in 2008?

J

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by Judge_Fire:

J
Would that be Mr. or Mrs. Clinton?

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2004, 01:03 PM

I think there would be rioting in the streets if that's attempted. Even most Republicans are happy with the status quo right now.

Agree, nothing on the conservation front but there will be moves to secure the oil pipelines in the ME if the situation deteriorates. More military action.
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 01:06 PM

J
LOL. But who will the social conservatives vote for?

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2004, 01:12 PM

J
You think the Democrats are going to simply lay down and grease the way for an obvious popular Republican to take the White House? There ARE blue states here. The amendment process could take 10 years if it's successful at all.
The only thing that I am reasonably sure of is that anybody who's got an ideology has stopped thinking. - Arthur Miller

Nicko
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2004, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by vmpaul:
You think the Democrats are going to simply lay down and grease the way for an obvious popular Republican to take the White House? There ARE blue states here. The amendment process could take 10 years if it's successful at all.
praise jebus.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by vmpaul:
I think you're right, but it's interesting to think about all the same. If Schwarzenegger made conservatives in California uncomfortable, I really wonder what the bible belt states would think of him.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by E's Lil Theorem:
Would that be Mr. or Mrs. Clinton?
Miss. Clinton:

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 01:21 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
I think you're right, but it's interesting to think about all the same. If Schwarzenegger made conservatives in California uncomfortable, I really wonder what the bible belt states would think of him.
I'm not sure Ah-nold could win in the south.

You still have to white, southern and affluent to be president in this country and Ah-nold is very un-southern.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 01:32 PM

a complete slide into a dark age (science=bad religion=good)

4 more years of hard work

only 17% of 18-29 people voted...they will be on the frontline (As Bart Simpson said, we need another vietnam to thin out those ranks)

doubleplus good

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 01:39 PM

Among other things listed here, I believe today will mark the beginning of a new page in world politics. The continual snubbing of the UN and the deepening chasm between the EU and the US will continue to continue and grow, and the EU will grow into the new super power of the 21st century. The massive tax cuts and huge military/nation building/pork barrel spending will bankrupt the Treasury, and the EU will begin to control world politics.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2004, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by GSixZero:
Among other things listed here, I believe today will mark the beginning of a new page in world politics. The continual snubbing of the UN and the deepening chasm between the EU and the US will continue to continue and grow, and the EU will grow into the new super power of the 21st century. The massive tax cuts and huge military/nation building/pork barrel spending will bankrupt the Treasury, and the EU will begin to control world politics.
Um, don't forget about China...this is their century after all.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2004, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by GSixZero:
Go for it. It might be just the incentive you need to reform your anemic economies, which would lift the overall world economy. You might also finally begin to share some responsibility for peace and security in the world instead of expecting the US to always do it for you.

These would be good things for all of us.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:
Go for it. It might be just the incentive you need to reform your anemic economies, which would lift the overall world economy. You might also finally begin to share some responsibility for peace and security in the world instead of expecting the US to always do it for you.

These would be good things for all of us.
You don't have a clue about what you are talking about do you? Just take a quick look at peacekeepers around the world and who's funding most of it.

Invading countries and installing puppets is not taking "responsibility for peace and security".

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 01:51 PM

Current national debt 7.4 trillion

what comes after trillion?

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by ironknee:
what comes after trillion?
A google.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2004, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by Logic:
You don't have a clue about what you are talking about do you? Just take a quick look at peacekeepers around the world and who's funding most of it.

Invading countries and installing puppets is not taking "responsibility for peace and security".
It's better than taunting, scolding, and threatening the leaders with sanctions that they won't worry about.

Say, how is the UN doing in Africa right now? Haven't heard much.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

cpt kangarooski
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by manofsteal:
A google.
That's true, but I think he was asking about a quadrillion, which is one thousand trillions.

A trillion is 1x10^12, a quadrillion is 1x10^15, and a google is 1x10^100, which is a bit of a jump.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go to the movies at the local googleplex (1x10^1x10^100).
--
This and all my other posts are hereby in the public domain. I am a lawyer. But I'm not your lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
Maybe you should change your news source then.

UN efforts (peacekeepers and humanitarian) in Africa are widespread.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2004, 03:31 PM

Some workmates and I were throwing around names for cabinet officers in Bush's second term. Our favorite was Zell Miller as UN Ambassador.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:
Some workmates and I were throwing around names for cabinet officers in Bush's second term. Our favorite was Zell Miller as UN Ambassador.
LOL, that is just scary.

Who's Sec. of State? And when will Powell's "retirement" to "spend more time with his family" be officially announced? Are these things typically held off until January?

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2004, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by thunderous_funker:
LOL, that is just scary.

Who's Sec. of State? And when will Powell's "retirement" to "spend more time with his family" be officially announced? Are these things typically held off until January?
I have no idea, but I would guess that the White House would prefer to wait as the new Senate will have a little more margin for confirmation.

Other names we threw around: Giuliani for Attorney General, Condi Rice for Sec State. But these are total wild-ass guesses. Your guess is really as good as mine.

Zimphire
Baninated
Nov 3, 2004, 03:42 PM

You forgot
"And the sky is going to fall"

mo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2004, 03:53 PM

I seem to recall rumors this summer that they would probably ditch Ashcroft, that the White House has grown less than enamored with him, and that he doesn't exactly play well with others when it comes to the whole Homeland Security thing. It seems plausible to me, given that he wasn't exactly their first choice for AG anyway, and it may be easier for them to accomplish more politically if his name isn't attached to stuff.

Of course, they could always appoint him Chief Justice. (Be afraid. Be very afraid.)

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2004, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by mo:
I seem to recall rumors this summer that they would probably ditch Ashcroft, that the White House has grown less than enamored with him, and that he doesn't exactly play well with others when it comes to the whole Homeland Security thing. It seems plausible to me, given that he wasn't exactly their first choice for AG anyway, and it may be easier for them to accomplish more politically if his name isn't attached to stuff.

Of course, they could always appoint him Chief Justice. (Be afraid. Be very afraid.)
No friggin' way he'd be approved. I wouldn't be surprised to see them try though.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 04:12 PM

There's got to be a way to get Jeb Bush up there, too.

It's the family dynasty thing.

J

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 04:50 PM

Good point on Jeb. He's also a signatory to the PNAC principles. Maybe they'll run him for president in 2008.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2004, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by thunderous_funker:
Maybe you should change your news source then.

UN efforts (peacekeepers and humanitarian) in Africa are widespread.
and ineffectual as ever. Sad.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 05:02 PM

It's better than taunting, scolding, and threatening the leaders with sanctions that they won't worry about.

Perhaps you should stop watching Fox and start watching some other news agencies.

http://www.un.org/Depts/dpko/missions/onub/

http://www.un.org/Depts/dpko/missions/unoci/

http://www.un.org/Depts/dpko/missions/unmil/

http://www.un.org/Depts/dpko/missions/monuc/

http://www.un.org/Depts/dpko/missions/unmee/

http://www.un.org/Depts/dpko/missions/unamsil/

http://www.un.org/Depts/dpko/missions/minurso/

Educate yourself.

And here you have the contributors for september 2004:

http://www.un.org/Depts/dpko/dpko/co...mber2004_1.pdf

And here you have the breakdown for each country:

http://www.un.org/Depts/dpko/dpko/co...mber2004_3.pdf

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2004, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by KarlG:
Good point on Jeb. He's also a signatory to the PNAC principles. Maybe they'll run him for president in 2008.
yes, he's on our short list, with Giuliani and Frist.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2004, 05:11 PM

Yeah, those have all be dreadfully effective.
- Thomas Paine

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2004, 05:14 PM

I think Schwarzenegger as President would be interesting. I think a centrist Republican would make a better President than a centrist Democrat.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 05:24 PM

Yeah, those have all be dreadfully effective.
So in what way have they not been effective?

ps. should we start a new thread about this not to take this one more off topic?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2004, 05:33 PM

So in what way have they not been effective?

ps. should we start a new thread about this not to take this one more off topic?
My point is, the UN has been working in that area for how long? And the people there are still butchering each other like cattle? Just what is the UN doing wrong?
- Thomas Paine

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 05:35 PM

My point is, the UN has been working in that area for how long? And the people there are still butchering each other like cattle? Just what is the UN doing wrong?
So what exactly is wrong with the current missions? You can't complain about other nations were they are not involved.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 05:38 PM

Having three parties would be a breath of fresh air. Bible belt, hmmm. Mel Gibson? (Austrian, Australian - whatever)
J

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 05:51 PM

Having three parties would be a breath of fresh air. Bible belt, hmmm. Mel Gibson? (Austrian, Australian - whatever)
J
I'd love to have a viable third party, but I just can't see Nader's method being effective. I am not personally comfortable casting my vote in a major election solely on the principle of supporting a third party.

At the same time, I worry that having multiple parties could increase the divisiveness of our country (the factionalism that Madison warned about). That's just a personal opinion -- but judging from what's happening in the other nation whose politics I follow (Israel), factionalism is certainly capable of dividing a nation and bringing progress to a halt. I'm not sure what we can do to avoid that kind of situation.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2004, 06:01 PM

So what exactly is wrong with the current missions? You can't complain about other nations were they are not involved.
I don't know... maybe it's the fact the people there are still butchering each other like livestock?
- Thomas Paine

PacHead
Baninated
Nov 3, 2004, 06:02 PM

I predict alot of terrorist swine will die.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 06:04 PM

I'd love to have a viable third party, but I just can't see Nader's method being effective. I am not personally comfortable casting my vote in a major election solely on the principle of supporting a third party.

At the same time, I worry that having multiple parties could increase the divisiveness of our country (the factionalism that Madison warned about). That's just a personal opinion -- but judging from what's happening in the other nation whose politics I follow (Israel), factionalism is certainly capable of dividing a nation and bringing progress to a halt. I'm not sure what we can do to avoid that kind of situation.
Our current voting, balloting, primary system makes 3rd parties utterly untenable.

If, however, we adopted Instant Run-off Voting then 3rd parties could really be a genuine force for reform.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 06:11 PM

Well, a clairvoyant I spoke to correctly predicted a lot of what happened. That Kerry would seem like the winner, but Bush would win, that Ohio would be the stickler, that Kerry would concede in a phone call to Bush, she even got the number of votes that would decide it right - 140,000.

I should look her up and have a consultation with her! Anyway, the only two things she told us that haven't happened are:

1) The oil price would break through $80 a barrel under Bush
2) The American economy would suffer some sort of catastrophic event around 12 November.

Guess we'll see what happens.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 06:14 PM

I don't know... maybe it's the fact the people there are still butchering each other like livestock?
Got any numbers for the areas where there are current UN missions?

mo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2004, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by Troll:

I should look her up and have a consultation with her! Anyway, the only two things she told us that haven't happened are:

1) The oil price would break through $80 a barrel under Bush
2) The American economy would suffer some sort of catastrophic event around 12 November.

Guess we'll see what happens.
Can you get her to move the catastrophic event to the 13th or 14th? I really can't deal with one on the 12th. Thanks.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2004, 06:29 PM

Got any numbers for the areas where there are current UN missions?
Nope. But they better hurry and get to the areas where those people are still murdering each other by the 100s, the UN is obviously in the wrong places.
- Thomas Paine

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 06:34 PM

The UN is obviously in the wrong places.
You mean the African troops that actually have the balls to do something about it are in the wrong place.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 06:35 PM

Nope. But they better hurry and get to the areas where those people are still murdering each other by the 100s, the UN is obviously in the wrong places.
So you basically have no idea what you are talking about?

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 06:37 PM

You mean Iraq?

Forum Links
Forum Rules