Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > My Predictions for an '04 to '08 Bush Administration

My Predictions for an '04 to '08 Bush Administration (Page 2)
PacHead
Baninated
Nov 3, 2004, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by mo:
Can you get her to move the catastrophic event to the 13th or 14th? I really can't deal with one on the 12th. Thanks.
The 13th and 14th are no good for me. I just checked my palmpilot. Can we please move the catastrophic event to either the 19th or 23th ? I can fit it into my schedule then.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:
The 13th and 14th are no good for me. I just checked my palmpilot. Can we please move the catastrophic event to either the 19th or 23th ? I can fit it into my schedule then.
Check with Cheney. He seems to have all the latest information on Inevitable and Impending Doom these days.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by thunderous_funker:
If, however, we adopted Instant Run-off Voting then 3rd parties could really be a genuine force for reform.
That's true. Wonder when it will pop up as a ballot measure here. They have instant runoff voting in San Francisco mayoral elections, IIRC, and I've heard voters there are quite fond of it.

Scallywag
Nov 3, 2004, 06:59 PM

My predictions:
  • direct challenge to Roe v. Wade in the next 4 years
  • further dismantling of the social Safety Net
  • privatization of Social Security
  • Medicare/Medicaid being renamed "Pharma Subsidy Tax"
  • horrific slashes to essential services across the nation (public transportion, emergency medicine, social services, affordable housing subsidy)
  • massive increase in corporate welfare
  • the further Walmartization of our economy as we continue to exchange high-paying union jobs for low-wage, no benefit McJobs.
  • blood, violence and unstability in Iraq and Afghanistan for another 4 years
  • another war somewhere else

You're exactly right. Sadly, Republicans believe that all those are good things.

deedar
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by Nicko:
Um, don't forget about China...this is their century after all.
Poop on China. It's the EU's ballgame now - especially once oil is sold/traded in euros.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by deedar:
Poop on China. It's the EU's ballgame now - especially once oil is sold/traded in euros.
If Russia joins the EU, maybe. Otherwise, I'd say the world's No 2 hotshot goes to China. Unless, of course, their dam breaks.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

deedar
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 07:24 PM

If Russia joins the EU, maybe. Otherwise, I'd say the world's No 2 hotshot goes to China. Unless, of course, their dam breaks.
China is way behind - in per capita everything. At least the EU has potentially viable plans for evolving to a hydrogen economy (not a hydrogen economy based on oil as we seem to be doing here).

mo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2004, 07:27 PM

I'm not entirely sure that there will be an assault on Roe. I think there will be a lot of tension even among Republicans when/if the opportunity appears to arise. Cynically, I would say that some might hesitate because the political downside is potentially huge, and they lose their wedge.

Practically, nobody really knows what the Supreme Court will eventually do when it gets an opportunity, either.

I'll make a prediction: In two years, you will hear social conservatives complaining that despite control of the legislature, executive and court, they haven't got what they hoped for.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by deedar:
China is way behind - in per capita everything. At least the EU has potentially viable plans for evolving to a hydrogen economy (not a hydrogen economy based on oil as we seem to be doing here).
It all depends on the 3 Gorges Dam. Once that is complete, China's GDP will skyrocket.

Besides, the EU will always be like herding cats. China doesn't have to contend with the complexities of politics.

Seriously, how can any western democracy compete with a nation that can undertake a project like 3 Gorges Dam? With one edict they can order millions of Chinese to abondon their centuries old ancestral homes and traditions and integrate them into a modern city and economy! Its terrifying!

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 07:34 PM

I can see Russia joining EFTA but I don't think they'll ever join the EU. As soon as they do that you will see a sharp increase in EU/Russian economic potential.

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 07:45 PM

Now that Russia is on the verge of renationalizing Yukos, does that change the equation?

Will Russia suck up to the EU or US more? Or play both against each other?

Let's face it. Russia's anti-democratic tendencies and horrific military offenses will always draw flack from the EU. The US has already demonstrated that such Idealism is always second to commerce.

y0y0
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2004, 07:54 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
My point is, the UN has been working in that area for how long? And the people there are still butchering each other like cattle? Just what is the UN doing wrong?
If your point was that the UN is worse than the US, then perhaps I should point out that Iraq is more of a bloodbath now than it was a year ago, and Afghanistan is still anything but a paradise, since people still get killed there regularly. I don't think that Iraq can yet be qualified as a success. Even the majority of Americans seem to agree on that.

I do apreciate your point though, in that the UN often seems to be very ineffective in bringing peace to a region. The best efforts I've seen so far have been true multination efforts that were based on free will. Say what you will about Clinton and the European Union, but Bosnia and Kosovo (despite absolute bullsh�t cheap hollywood propaganda crap like "Behind enemy lines" where the French are as usual portrayed as being in collusion with the enemy) have seen no resurgence of violence after the US and NATO intervened there and kept enough soldiers there to keep the peace. Even Afghanistan, another true multinational effort between the US and NATO, is doing much better than the desaster that is Iraq.

I think that simple military intervention, such as in Iraq, which was and is enormously diversive internationally, do not work well generally. I think the best is when nations agree on a goal and take action, i.e. somewhere between the UN's usual ineffectiveness, which doesn't help much in a crisis, and a full scale military intervention. The most important thing about reacting to a crisis is not the military option. There are almost no third world countries which can stand up to any western nation militarily, but planning the peace operations afterwards. Iraq is a good example of how not to do it, just as the UN's ineffectual troops in Bosnia before the NATO intervention were almost useless.
But what about POLAND?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2004, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by Logic:
So you basically have no idea what you are talking about?
On the contrary, I would like to know how the UN could be there all this time and not be making very much headway in keeping the decades long bloodshed under control?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2004, 08:00 PM

You mean Iraq?
Yes, there too. We need to be much more assertive and inclusive (with the domestic Iraqi forces) while we work towards their transition towards democracy. We've not done as well as we could, we need to do better, and I believe we will.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 08:04 PM

On the contrary, I would like to know how the UN could be there all this time and not be making very much headway in keeping the decades long bloodshed under control?
What bloodshed are you talking about? What current UN mission is going so badly?

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

swrate
Senior User
Nov 3, 2004, 08:13 PM

yes, all that, posted earlier,

post partum depression for many,
and, I�ve been invaded by pop ups over blocks, Frankenstein faces and Bush memories,
So the memory drowns fast, i had to get rid of programs just brainwashing my computer, it�s not settled yet. i was sad not to be granted the birthday present i would of liked yesterday. less and less will be granted.

I hope GW will be wise enough to care more about others then squirrels.

This is the new religious concept: not caring a dingleberry about others....

Reps keep mentioning the way others think - mainly out of America -,
yet it�s your own fellow Americans, nearly half of you, concerned. Those are thought RAT, in other words, labelled on terrorists side. That is on your Land of Freedom.
Its dangerous to think, taboo to talk politics, "keep it
to yourself" "pretend" dont question the administration.
sigh.
water poured over the incandescent ashes,

Icydanger,
I would be very worried, and I don�t mean to �paint it black�,
I hope GW will have the intelligence to listen to others, and see the situation from an inner angle, and learn how to negotiate so to stop this disunion.

Don�t you think it's sort of contradictory to have a Christian pious born again attitude while on the same time developing the weapon industry? Weapons used mainly in areas where underlies black oil, borderline zones, where civil miserable populations are targeted even though they starve, so these move or fight or commit collective suicide (happened with many groups).
Imo
This will lead to riots, loss of control, slow degradation, and to a further scission of America in three, Oregon Washington California/middle block/East coast, with Florida and Louisiana whooshing away, a strong mental and natural division caused by living conditions and a slight Climate change. I am extrapolling again.
Its sad to see two commander in chiefs (ben laden has his troops) fighting over what has become a concept, terrorism, that �God� is supposed to be supervising.
A contest between Prophecies.

Will you start praying in all public schools (if any public schools or systems remain btw) and will teenagers have to prepare for drafts?
I wouldn�t like to live were religion controls the population, half believe the commander in chief of the born again churches is saving the planet with his politics and polices the other half.

This is a war on concepts, religions: my god is stronger then your god.
Radicals being as fundamentalist as the people and the terror they are fighting.
In a way, I think so much support for a democrat candidate when the country is at war is an indication of how bad the inner split is.
I am pessimistic, the only positive I see here is that GW will have to face reality soon, the reality of the effect of his politics, will Schwarzie save US from a terrible decline in 8 years?

Oh well, it�s a squirrel�s opinion a dingleberry eating squirrel.
why should i care really? because it's our PLANET

well sob, i feel like staying as far away as i can from over there, and i am not the only one.

edited after 2 d/c to center pic more
( Last edited by swrate; Nov 3, 2004 at 08:21 PM. )

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2004, 08:13 PM

What bloodshed are you talking about? What current UN mission is going so badly?
No, you're right, they're not massacring each other over there. My mistake.
- Thomas Paine

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 08:17 PM

No, you're right, they're not massacring each other over there. My mistake.
You do know that Africa consists of several nations?

y0y0
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2004, 08:21 PM

Yes, there too. We need to be much more assertive and inclusive (with the domestic Iraqi forces) while we work towards their transition towards democracy. We've not done as well as we could, we need to do better, and I believe we will.
The US military has continously been complaining about the domestic Iraqi forces as being unwilling and unable to fight the insurgents and being seriously undermined by the insurgents.

Also, I think that even if Iraq were to stablise, the majority of Iraqis will probably want the US to leave. I think, however, that Alawi is too much under the control of the US to ask the US to leave, which would most probably result in the insurgency carrying on, unless the US/Alawi uses methods that Saddam used in controlling the country, which would only result in even more Islamic fanatics gaining support in the country.

I think that the US is stuck in a very bad situation in Iraq. Pulling out the troops would probably result in a full scale civil war. Staying in Iraq, however, given the huge unpopularity of the US troops there, means a continued insurgency for a long time.

I think the only realistic option for the US is to stick it out, and accept the fact that there will be large numbers of casualties, and keep on fighting the insurgency after the elections in January. and hope that the insurgency slowly dies down after the elections. But there aren't any guarantees of that, just the hope that the situation will eventually stablise.
But what about POLAND?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2004, 08:32 PM

You do know that Africa consists of several nations?
No, really?

I'll concede the discussion to you, I don't feel like digging up links to back up my claims. There' you're right, there are no Sudanese murdering with wanton abandon, despite the UN's directives and intervention.

You win, I yield.
- Thomas Paine

Speckledstone
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2004, 11:14 PM

It's good to see you've come to your senses MacNStein. LOL

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2004, 03:44 AM

No, really?

I'll concede the discussion to you, I don't feel like digging up links to back up my claims. There' you're right, there are no Sudanese murdering with wanton abandon, despite the UN's directives and intervention.

You win, I yield.
Oh thank God, because your insistence that the UN had intervened in Sudan was getting tiresome.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2004, 04:22 AM

No, really?

You win, I yield.
There has been no peacekeeping mission in Sudan up until recently. And after that most of the slaughter has been stopped.

But good to see that you tried sticking to where there were UN peacekeeping missions(even though I gave you links to current operations).

Nicko
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2004, 04:46 AM

There has been no peacekeeping mission in Sudan up until recently. And after that most of the slaughter has been stopped.

But good to see that you tried sticking to where there were UN peacekeeping missions(even though I gave you links to current operations).

I work for a USAID funded project that is based in southern Sudan. They don't have any war there. Sure, they have landmines, floods, horrible illiteracy rates, but no war! Infact as soon as the south signs their peace agreement there will be hundreds of millions more $$$ pumped into the region. Sudan is the largest country in Africa, so different areas of it are, well quite different.

y0y0
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2004, 06:56 AM

I work for a USAID funded project that is based in southern Sudan. They don't have any war there. Sure, they have landmines, floods, horrible illiteracy rates, but no war! Infact as soon as the south signs their peace agreement there will be hundreds of millions more $$$ pumped into the region. Sudan is the largest country in Africa, so different areas of it are, well quite different.
That it is. To be honest, it's not only Americans who have practically no idea what Africa is, most of Europe doesn't know all that much either from what I've seen. Africa is very diverse. In fact, it's a lot more diverse than North America. I miss it.
But what about POLAND?

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2004, 07:05 AM

deedar
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2004, 04:02 PM

It all depends on the 3 Gorges Dam. Once that is complete, China's GDP will skyrocket.

Besides, the EU will always be like herding cats. China doesn't have to contend with the complexities of politics.

Seriously, how can any western democracy compete with a nation that can undertake a project like 3 Gorges Dam? With one edict they can order millions of Chinese to abondon their centuries old ancestral homes and traditions and integrate them into a modern city and economy! Its terrifying!
t_f - you might find this interesting.

America, Wake Up to the European Dream

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2004, 04:09 PM

http://www.eventsquarterly.com/news/february2004/3.php

"Amnesty International is making the claim that the Sudanese government is committing human rights violations, with arbitrary air and ground attacks on civilians. At least 100 000 citizens of Sudan have now escaped to Chad.

Despite the long term relevance of this year long conflict, the United Nations is only warning of a worsening conflict.

Amnesty International is asking for human rights monitors to be allowed into the Sudanese city Darfur. The government of Sudan will only say that this is a local conflict."

Hmmm... I see what you mean, my mistake.
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules