Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Question about Tiger Family Pack

Question about Tiger Family Pack
UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2005, 11:08 AM

Do OS X family packs come with 5 CD's? I'm thinking about ordering one with some friends to save some money. Thanks.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

Krypton
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2005, 02:05 PM

Indeed it does.

If you're ordering the 'up-to-date' CD package, Apple formally gives you permission to buy one copy and use it on 5 computers.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2005, 02:06 PM

They actually come with five disks? Wow. I thought it was just a five-computer license.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

larry k.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2005, 02:15 PM

"Family Pack Software License Agreement allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-labeled computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household and used by persons who occupy that same household."

5 CD's or in this case DVD's? No
5 Licenses? Yes
power mac g5 - dual 1.8ghz, 1.5gb, 250gb & 160gb, x800 xt, pioneer dvr-108, 10.4

Krypton
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2005, 02:24 PM

Ok, I was wrong, larry k. is right

bbales
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2005, 02:27 PM

The macintouch site has all the amazon rebate s-- family pack is just $149, instead of $199.

jasong
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2005, 03:56 PM

Not only does it not come with 5 disks, you also can't get together with 5 friends and buy it to save money unless you all occupy the same household.

Just be sure you know what you are doing.
-- Jason

UNTeMac  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2005, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by jasong
Not only does it not come with 5 disks, you also can't get together with 5 friends and buy it to save money unless you all occupy the same household.

Just be sure you know what you are doing.
ok, that's what I thought...thanks for the replies. Too bad there's not a larger student discount.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2005, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by UNTiMac
Too bad there's not a larger student discount.
It's almost 50% off retail price. I think that's pretty good.

Chris

hldan
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2005, 07:00 PM

I'm not sure why Apple offers a family pack as well as a single if the OS is not serialized. I'm sure there will be several people that buy one copy and share it which is just what Apple does not want people to do so what's the motivation to buy the family pack besides being honorable?

One other thing, the poster that wants to buy the family pack and share it with 5 friends does not have to prove to Apple that Tiger will be used in one household.
Don't slam me for my comments 'cause I'm just being real about it but most of us know what's up but don't want to mention it outloud.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

LightWaver-67
Senior User
Apr 14, 2005, 07:09 PM

Truthfully... they're just selling peace (piece?) of mind.

Do you really think the majority of the consumer Mac community that owned more than one machine at home was REALLY buying more than one retail box for an OS upgrade...? Call me a cynic, but I highly doubt it. Apple is just making it easier for people with more than one machine to get the OS upgrade AND feel like they're doing the right thing. It's basically an honor system where the honest people decide to pay more for the EXACT SAME DISC just to support Apple.

There is no difference in the media supplied... there is no software liscense to enter per-se... I think Apple was smart to do this because they figured a decent portion of their customer-base want to do the right thing but would feel that full-price per machine would be utterly rediculous to shell-out for every upgrade. I have 3-systems here at home. If I paid full-price for all machines, I'd be shelling-out close to $400 inclusing tax. It wouldn't happen. Period. So... confronted with the option of trying to enforce owners to get a full-copy for every machine (which won't happen) or giving them an option that is affordable... they realized that there's an opportunity to make that extra $60 per unit on a good portion of OSX sales.

NOW... I can pay the extra $60 and legitimately install on all-3 and feel better about it... but could just as easily pay the $129 and do the same. I know Apple isn't going door-to-door with assault rifles and storming houses... it's just too-much to take on. They cannot ENFORCE it on a micro-level... they can only make blanket statements and hope the general public does the "right thing".

I will.

LightWaver-67
Senior User
Apr 14, 2005, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by hldan
One other thing, the poster that wants to buy the family pack and share it with 5 friends does not have to prove to Apple that Tiger will be used in one household.
What would be the point? If you're gonna split the cost 5-ways and STILL not be within the legal use of the product liscense... why pay the 5-user...? They buy the single-user and make copies...!!!

I'm not condoning it... just saying that it's rediculous to pirate the MORE EXPENSIVE version of the SAME THING.

Forum Links
Forum Rules