Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Need Advice on selling Magic Cards

Need Advice on selling Magic Cards
UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2005, 08:58 AM

Remember Magic the Gathering? Some of you may still play it but I don't and need to sell my collection of about 500 cards. I've valued them using www.blackborder.com and come up with total price of around $300. I have a few pretty rare cards but my oldest editions only go as far back as Revised.

Question is, do any of you know about how to best sell a collection like this on Ebay? Thanks.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2005, 09:03 AM

To be honest... good luck. If www.blackborder.com says they are worth $300... I bet you will get $125 for them. If you were smart, you would go where they play and try to get a new player to buy all of your cards for $300. Other than that, you aren't going to get much for them.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2005, 09:10 AM

Wait it out, they'll be hot items once again (for about 3 months) in 10-20 years. Always happens.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

AppleOptionFour
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2005, 11:06 AM

You could always ebay them.

goEagles�

(I applied to the UNT Health Science Center, I might be an eagle by proxy soon. )

UNTeMac  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2005, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by AppleOptionFour

goEagles�

(I applied to the UNT Health Science Center, I might be an eagle by proxy soon. )

Well that's actually what I was asking advice on. What's the best way to get the best price on an item? etc.

UNT is a great place. God knows I've been here long enough to know that. Graduation cometh.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

AppleOptionFour
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2005, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by UNTiMac
Well that's actually what I was asking advice on. What's the best way to get the best price on an item?.
There again I think your best source is eBay. See what others are selling your items for. Youll also get some good selling points and info on where to start the bidding.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2005, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by UNTiMac
Question is, do any of you know about how to best sell a collection like this on Ebay? Thanks.
Originally Posted by AppleOptionFour
Or, you could also try to sell them on eBay...

-t

cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2005, 12:49 PM

people still do play/collect them. my brother looked on ebay not too long ago, because he is also looking into selling his magic cards (so am i). he found people who had thousands of random cards going for several hundred dollars. specific cards could go for a couple hundred as well. i'd go thru all your cards and sort out the rarer cards. try selling them individually and the more common ones, i'd try selling as just a bunch. also, you need to note the condition of the cards. better the condition = worth more, obviously.

other than ebay, you could go around to local card stores and find out what they might pay for the cards.

luckly, when i collected them, i made note of the rare ones.

UNTeMac  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2005, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by cruciarius
people still do play/collect them. my brother looked on ebay not too long ago, because he is also looking into selling his magic cards (so am i). he found people who had thousands of random cards going for several hundred dollars. specific cards could go for a couple hundred as well. i'd go thru all your cards and sort out the rarer cards. try selling them individually and the more common ones, i'd try selling as just a bunch. also, you need to note the condition of the cards. better the condition = worth more, obviously.

other than ebay, you could go around to local card stores and find out what they might pay for the cards.

luckly, when i collected them, i made note of the rare ones.
I've already made an Excel sheet with the retail values and conditions of the cards. Those $100+ cards are usually Alpha and Beta editions which are extremely rare. My two most expensive go for $12.00 around most stores. The other uncommon ones average around $5.00. The majority however are worth less than a dollar apiece. I guess what I was looking for was someone who had actually sold theirs and gotten a decent price.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2005, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777
Or, you could also try to sell them on eBay...

-t
If that doesn't work, you can always try eBay.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 21, 2005, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
If that doesn't work, you can always try eBay.
I heard of this place called... oh forget it, the joke is dead.

Sosa
Senior User
Apr 21, 2005, 07:48 PM

You can try selling them bulk to a physical store or an online store, such as Starcity.com. http://www.starcitygames.com/pages/buylist.php

If you have the time you can of course sell them on Ebay. You can sell them in play sets (1-4 of each) or as a bulk. You will probably get better sales as play sets, but this involves more work. Also, you need to have a good Ebay rating to be successfull (get high prices) because a lot of theft takes place on Magic sales. Make sure to include pictures of the cards, which you can get from http://gatherer.wizards.com/ . Since these are cards, your profit margin on each sale is small, so do not pay for any of the extra Ebay items. Just a picture of the card and simple description will do.

I've done this for several of my card collections and have made a nice profit. Good luck.
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

powertrippin
Baninated
Apr 21, 2005, 08:01 PM

I suggest going to the new star wars release with them for sale. You're sure to find a bigger dork than yourself, hence they'd be interested in playing a game like that.

Sosa
Senior User
Apr 21, 2005, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by powertrippin
I suggest going to the new star wars release with them for sale. You're sure to find a bigger dork than yourself, hence they'd be interested in playing a game like that.
Ha! I've discovered that people from all walks of life enjoy intellectually stimulating games like Magic. The other day I discovered that this successfull businessman who left a negative first impression on me was an avid role playing gamer. Perhaps you should take a look at boardgamegeek.com, you might find something there for you and your family to enjoy.

Anyways, science fiction and fantasy don't match, do they?
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 21, 2005, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Sosa
Ha! I've discovered that people from all walks of life enjoy intellectually stimulating games like Magic. The other day I discovered that this successfull businessman who left a negative first impression on me was an avid role playing gamer. Perhaps you should take a look at boardgamegeek.com, you might find something there for you and your family to enjoy.

Anyways, science fiction and fantasy don't match, do they?
I knew an US Army officer who loved to play. This just goes to prove the old saying: "you can't judge a book based on their role-playing card games."

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2005, 02:51 AM

When you find someone to buy then, message me. I need to offload a bunch of Star War CCG card from like 8 years ago. Man... what a waste.

Sosa
Senior User
Apr 26, 2005, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by MilkmanDan
When you find someone to buy then, message me. I need to offload a bunch of Star War CCG card from like 8 years ago. Man... what a waste.
Star Wars CCG was one the best competitive card games ever developed. Matches could last up to an hour, were complex and full of tension. For competitive play, I haven't played a better game yet (well, except chess). Unfortunately you will not find a ready market for these cards as there are several Star Wars CCGs available and the original is no longer supported by the manufacturer (Decipher lost the license).
Join Team MacNN.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 26, 2005, 11:23 AM

Honestly, I doubt your cards are magic. If they were really magic, they would be selling themselves like hotcakes, but the stack would never get smaller

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules