Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Hurricane Rita

Hurricane Rita (Page 2)
RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2005, 11:06 AM

We lucked out, so far. Power only went out for a little while last night, and the local PD said less than a dozen trees went down. No flooding, no nothing, winds weren't that bad at all. The PD even said it only rained a little bit.

Now we have to wait and orchestrate the return home so that we don't have to sit on the road for 20 hours like some of our coworkers did.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 24, 2005, 11:22 AM

My inlaws in Katy had some wind and rain, but their neighborhood doesn't seem to have suffered any damage at all. The rest of the family in the Houston area did equally well.

I wonder if any people were still out on the freeway, stuck where they were, when the storm finally came in?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

tracemhunter
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2005, 11:26 AM

no the highway was back to normal yesterday here in dallas. we didnt even get any rain last night. ive just been sitting on the blacony this morning. it is a bit windy and cloudy but the damage in baeumont doesnt even look that bad. a couple of power lines went down and the streets are flooded but the water isnt like running along the side of houses or anything like that. the water is contained in the streets by the curbs. and to think on thursday i went to walmart at 10pm and waited in lines for 2hrs for flashlights and batteries and stuff. what a ripoff.

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2005, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by UNTiMac
Anyone near the Texas coast gonna be around when Rita hits? My parents are evacuating from south Houston on Thursday in the very early morning. They boarded up windows and prepared the house for two feet of water just in case.

Latest: Category Five - 165mph sustained winds - moving west at 13mph
So beautiful and horrible at once...

All my sympathies to the people victimized by Rita.
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2005, 12:42 PM

Shock of all shocks, the media blew it out of proportion...
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 24, 2005, 07:35 PM

Actually, up until early Friday, the storm was going to be horrible everywhere. As it started turning and weakening, there was scant time to do anything but continue the evacuations that had already been started. What I want the media to start focusing on is how poorly the Texas highway system served the 2+ million people who evacuated from the coastal areas only to be stuck in traffic with no gas or shelter.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2005, 06:19 PM

I am from Beaumont and I went to Houston Wednesday(I-10 was clear). Then we went to Caldwell (Soutwest of College Station.) We got no rain there, I just got back to Houston with cable and the internet. From the news Beaumont is pretty bad right now. But we have friends that got into Beaumont and our neighborhood isn't in too bad of shape.
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

tracemhunter
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2005, 07:33 PM

a lot of people are pissed that they evacuated for nothing. but better safe than sorry. i was over in dallas the day everyone ended up here and they had to block i35 south to go northbound. i had to take service roads everywehre back here to arlington. the media did blow it out of proportion... but what new? that all the media ever does.

keyser_soze
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2005, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by tracemhunter
a lot of people are pissed that they evacuated for nothing. but better safe than sorry. i was over in dallas the day everyone ended up here and they had to block i35 south to go northbound. i had to take service roads everywehre back here to arlington. the media did blow it out of proportion... but what new? that all the media ever does.
That's the kind of attitude that will get people killed if another hurricane comes that way sometime soon. It was a Cat 5 storm at one point. What does get blown out of proportion in situations like this is how inconvenienced people feel.

If somebody shoots at me and misses, I'm not going to think the danger of guns is blown out of proportion. I'll be happy I didn't get shot and killed, and I'll still run for cover if I have a chance next time it happens. Not that I've ever been shot at.

Ok posters time to let them have it. MacNN Staff It's our duty to let MacNN know we hate intelliTXT!

Forum Links
Forum Rules