Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Just saw the Boondock Saints

Just saw the Boondock Saints
UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2006, 05:58 AM

Oh my god what an incredibly awful piece of film. How the hell does this thing get good reviews from people on Netflix?? The average rating there is almost 5 stars. If you haven't seen it...DO NOT bother wasting your time.

2nd worst movie ever just behind Ultraviolet.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2006, 09:19 AM

Boondock Saints is awesome.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2006, 12:01 PM

The story/documentary behind it is very much worth watching...

Documentary filmmakers Mark Brian Smith and Tony Montana begin their movie OVERNIGHT in such an establishment - a Hollywood bar called J. Sloan's. OVERNIGHT focuses on 25-year-old J.Sloan's bartender Troy Duffy, whose movie script, THE BOONDOCK SAINTS, has been picked up by Harvey Weinstein at Miramax. Weinstein is so impressed by the confident, self-assured Duffy that he gives him the go-ahead not only to direct his own movie, but also to score the soundtrack with his own band, The Brood. To Duffy's delight, Weinstein also buys the bar, making them co-owners. Propelled to A-list status, stars such as Mark Wahlberg and Matthew Modine start hanging out with Duffy at J. Sloan's. But as his ego spirals out of control...
More.........

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2006, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Boondock Saints is awesome.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Dec 23, 2006, 12:36 PM

Yeah dude, this is pretty much my favorite movie of all time. Great directing, great acting, great action, great music, and something everybody has always wanted to do: Kill bad guys that the law cant' touch. In fact, your little tirade abotu such an incredible movie almost warrants me clicking the 'report abuse' button. You should be banned for a week for saying such horrible things about such a great movie.

mac-at-kearsarge
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2006, 12:48 PM

While whats good and bad is a personal opinion, I find it hard to believe that anyone can fully out right dislike this film. While I can see if the amount of violence and dark imagy are over the top for some, what I really like about it is the discusion it brings at the end. That being: is vigilantism (Sp?) a good thing, if it's appliaed to the worst criminals. Or if your religous, as the film bases it's action on, Are you yourself sinning, if you are punishing those who have commited the worse sins?

I have always liked movies that raise debates.

As for the films popularity, I know it's held in extremely high esteem here in New England. Maybe because it's set in Boston, or maybe because the writers are from here in New Hampshire, or perhpas because Catholisism int he main religion in the area.

My favorite part was when Ron Jeremy gets blwn away. I can only assume because I'm 25 and single and yet that ugly man whore has been with more women then I can dream of. I'm 'Fabio' when physcally comapred to him.
iGeek

kc311v2
Forum Regular
Dec 23, 2006, 03:46 PM

No movie collection is complete without Boondock Saints. The language and violence is not for the weak hearted, but the story and concepts behind it are very compelling.
We need more movies like it to challenge our attitudes and way of thinking.

UNTeMac  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2006, 03:51 PM

This has to be a joke. I swear people that say this movie is great only do that as a way to get everyone else to see this awful movie and then wonder why people they know actually like it.

As for the vigilantism theme of the movie... anybody ever heard of anarchism? Laws are why you can drive to work everyday and not have someone blow you away under the guise of judge, jury and executioner. Public opinion does not mean justice. Anybody who thinks their thinking was changed by this movie was predisposed that kind of ignorance in the first place.

Again, I'm probably taking it too seriously, but after seeing the ratings this thing got, I had to wonder.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

centerchannel68
Baninated
Dec 23, 2006, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by UNTeMac View Post
This has to be a joke. I swear people that say this movie is great only do that as a way to get everyone else to see this awful movie and then wonder why people they know actually like it.

As for the vigilantism theme of the movie... anybody ever heard of anarchism? Laws are why you can drive to work everyday and not have someone blow you away under the guise of judge, jury and executioner. Public opinion does not mean justice. Anybody who thinks their thinking was changed by this movie was predisposed that kind of ignorance in the first place.

Again, I'm probably taking it too seriously, but after seeing the ratings this thing got, I had to wonder.
Vigilantism exists within a lawful society. Anarchy is stupid, and so is a supposed 'civilized' society where rapists, murderers and child molesters can get out of jail in only 2 years and be back on the streets, IF they serve time at all. Think OJ. Think any big named anybody who gets into 'trouble' where the normal person would be serving time for decades, but because of their fame, power, or whatever, it's a slap on the wrist. It's crap.

As for the movie itself, I don't know what your beef is. The soundtrack is excellent... no? Or did you not like the music?

I really liked how DaFoe's character got progressively closer to the saints in the movie. First, it was the crime scene, then what happened. Then as he got closer and closer, he became mroe and more entertwined with t hem, until he was in the scenes with them, then helping them in the italian mobster's home.

The directing was wonderful, I loved some of the creative cinematagraphy (sp) that Troy Duffy used... the top down view of teh gunfight in the russian syndicate was fantastic, the slow mo in the titty bar scene, and the huge gunfight outside the house near the end with El Dueche. Simply fantastic, mesmerizing, and brilliant. Super slow mo. Classical music. Gunfire. William DaFoe's excellent acting.

Plus, the fact that he plays a gay guy who hates gay people was rather entertaining. Detective Greenley is also really memorable, even if he is an idiot. He has so many great lines.

"where you going? NOWHERE!" "no way, you know how big a guy has to be to do that? Freakin' huge" "Uh... they shot him at a downward angle...?"

Seriously, ever person who's seen this movie that I know of, including all my friends, and even my MOTHER and my GRANDMOTHER, liked this movie (though they said it said the f-word a bit too much). The high scores all over movie rating sites that you mentioned, the huge following it has.... maybe, just maybe, something is wrong with you, or your perception of this film, and not the movie itself.

Think about it. Basically everybody likes it except you. So I'm thinking you need to watch it again, or admit that you only like shitty movies.

Ham Sandwich
Dec 23, 2006, 05:14 PM

Are there two different versions of Boondock Saints?

Everyone keeps raving about it and the version I saw sucked ass...

centerchannel68
Baninated
Dec 23, 2006, 05:16 PM

what exactly sucked about it?

Blasphemy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2006, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by screamingFit View Post
Are there two different versions of Boondock Saints?

Everyone keeps raving about it and the version I saw sucked ass...
People get caught up in the group-think artsy crap. It's "great" because it's "art".

centerchannel68
Baninated
Dec 23, 2006, 08:04 PM

Group-think artsy? This movie wasn't artsy at all. It was entertaining. I've never heard anybody call this film 'art'. You're smoking some serious crack.

UNTeMac  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2006, 05:38 AM

Somehow it doesn't surprise me that rob would like this movie. Actually, the only place this thing gets high scores is Netflix and there are plenty of people who hated it on there. Rotten tomatoes has it at around 20%.

rob, if you think this movie is good, your taste in movies is as good as your spelling.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2006, 05:47 AM

TROLL

nuff said... EDIT: didint take the time to notice that he has over 1,000 posts... oops

love the movie BTW

Zach

centerchannel68
Baninated
Dec 24, 2006, 12:45 PM

Somehow it doesn't surprise me that rob would like this movie. Actually, the only place this thing gets high scores is Netflix and there are plenty of people who hated it on there. Rotten tomatoes has it at around 20%.

rob, if you think this movie is good, your taste in movies is as good as your spelling.
If you think this movie is bad, your taste in movies is as good as your ability to use the shift key.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2006, 02:26 PM

You're right, the majority of critics on rotten tomatoes hate this movie because they are looking for it to be something it's not: art.

It is entertaining and funny, and as long as a movie keeps you laughing and interested, it should be considered "good." It may not be "art" on the next level, not having any extremely deep motives or anything, but c'mon you can't tell me you sat through this movie thinking "when is this crap going to be over."

If you did, your taste and mine vary greatly.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 24, 2006, 02:36 PM

IMDB has it at 7.7 which is a solidly good rating.

So far, from the couple people who've said they didn't like it, there hasn't been a single reason as to why not except for "vigilantism isn't cool."

Come on, seriously, articulate. You're the one who started this thread on the movie...why didn't you like it, or are you just trolling?

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Dec 24, 2006, 02:44 PM

trolling.

This movie is great. I've watched it over 15 times and I'm still not sick of it. The characters are just great.

"ROCCOOOOO!!!!""

"WHAAAT!!!!"

"where's my cat..."

"I killed your cat you druggie bitch! I though it would bring closure to our relationship!"

bhahahahahah

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2006, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post

"ROCCOOOOO!!!!""

"WHAAAT!!!!"

"where's my cat..."

"I killed your cat you druggie bitch! I though it would bring closure to our relationship!"

But I agree with Shortcut, WHY does this movie suck?

UNTeMac  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2006, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
IMDB has it at 7.7 which is a solidly good rating.

So far, from the couple people who've said they didn't like it, there hasn't been a single reason as to why not except for "vigilantism isn't cool."

Come on, seriously, articulate. You're the one who started this thread on the movie...why didn't you like it, or are you just trolling?

greg
One, the writing is horrible. The dialogue doesn't mesh well between characters and is often written just so they can fit a few more f*ck's in there. Two, the acting is absolutely terrible in some cases. Example: David Della Rocco's entire performance was so bad that that guy hasn't acted in anything since. Who shouts all their lines? Ron Jeremy as an actor? Come on! And the cliché italian and russian mob thing: Can we haul out anymore juvenile and overdone stereotypes? Not to mention the accents on nearly all the characters were so stereotypically exaggerated that it was distracting from the actual dialogue. The gun battle between the brothers and the hit man in front of the house while Willem Dafoe conducts classical music over this abominable slow-motion shooting scene that isn't even interesting to watch and of course, only two shots actually hit. The FBI smarter than the local cops cliché...yeah, never been done before...especially not this badly. Willem Dafoe's character being gay had nothing to do with the story except that he was able to dress up in drag and open-mouth kiss a guy later in the movie. I could go on, but it's Christmas.

I understand if this is a so-bad-it's-good thing. I feel that way about RHPS and a few others. To call this movie brilliant or otherwise though, baffles me.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Dec 24, 2006, 09:18 PM

1. I think the dialogue meshes fine. Apparently you only hang out with harvard grads, but a vast majority of the population in hte working class do actually curse like sailors all the time. I thought the dialogue was better htan fine, I love how they interacted with each other.

2. I thought rocco's acting was fine. Just because someone isn't in any other movies does not mean they're a bad actor... this was an independant film, basically, and a lot of the actors were just people the director knew. In fact, I think he's one of the best characters in the movie. His lines, and delivery, are spot on.

3. He doesn't shout all his lines. He talks quietly about a lot of stuff during the movie. Apparently you were asleep. Rewatch and get back to me.

4. Ron Jeremy has been in a lot of movies.... Orgazmo comes to mind. Apparently that movie is crap also since he's in it? But didn't you just say good actors are in lots of movies? I'm confused now.

5. So what if it was about the mob? This was about people KILLING the mob members, what other movie has done that before? What other vigilante movies do you know of besides Taxi Driver?

6. The gun battle was excellent, and you are a troll and/or a pussy.

UNTeMac  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2006, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
1. I think the dialogue meshes fine. Apparently you only hang out with harvard grads, but a vast majority of the population in hte working class do actually curse like sailors all the time. I thought the dialogue was better htan fine, I love how they interacted with each other.

2. I thought rocco's acting was fine. Just because someone isn't in any other movies does not mean they're a bad actor... this was an independant film, basically, and a lot of the actors were just people the director knew. In fact, I think he's one of the best characters in the movie. His lines, and delivery, are spot on.

3. He doesn't shout all his lines. He talks quietly about a lot of stuff during the movie. Apparently you were asleep. Rewatch and get back to me.

4. Ron Jeremy has been in a lot of movies.... Orgazmo comes to mind. Apparently that movie is crap also since he's in it? But didn't you just say good actors are in lots of movies? I'm confused now.

5. So what if it was about the mob? This was about people KILLING the mob members, what other movie has done that before? What other vigilante movies do you know of besides Taxi Driver?

6. The gun battle was excellent, and you are a troll and/or a pussy.
Nice Rob. Difference of opinion = personal insult. Reported. Merry Christmas!

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2006, 01:34 AM

As for the vigilantism theme of the movie... anybody ever heard of anarchism?
Wait, you only want to see movies where people go around obeying the law? Why don't you just watch your life?

Willem Dafoe's character being gay had nothing to do with the story except that he was able to dress up in drag and open-mouth kiss a guy later in the movie.
That's a pretty bigoted criticism. Characters should only be gay if it contributes to the story? How many straight protagonists have scenes where they kiss a girl or are on a date when it doesn't advance the plot?

FWIW, I liked the movie, but I don't remember much about it and I wouldn't think of it in a top ten list or anything. Though I have recommended it to people.

UNTeMac  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2006, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Wait, you only want to see movies where people go around obeying the law? Why don't you just watch your life?
That comment wasn't directed at the film. Someone in the thread argued that vigilantism had a place in society and I disagreed. The theme was a small part of the reason the movie bothered me but mostly, it was just a bad movie.

That's a pretty bigoted criticism. Characters should only be gay if it contributes to the story? How many straight protagonists have scenes where they kiss a girl or are on a date when it doesn't advance the plot?

FWIW, I liked the movie, but I don't remember much about it and I wouldn't think of it in a top ten list or anything. Though I have recommended it to people.
Bigoted? Please, Willem Dafoe's character was the height of homosexual bigotry. The movie's target audience loves to hate effeminate gay men so it introduces a masculine example of homosexuality that's actually bigoted against the rest...example, the scene with Willem Dafoe in bed when he calls the other man a fag.

Anyway, I'm letting it drop. I was curious to see if anyone else had seen it and been so surprised at the following it has. Have fun kids.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2006, 02:52 AM

I saw it on recommendation of some of my neighbors. I thought it was okay, I don't feel too strongly either way.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2006, 02:53 AM

Bigoted? Please, Willem Dafoe's character was the height of homosexual bigotry. The movie's target audience loves to hate effeminate gay men so it introduces a masculine example of homosexuality that's actually bigoted against the rest...example, the scene with Willem Dafoe in bed when he calls the other man a fag.
Wasn't he sleeping with that other man? Hardly "bigoted against the rest." My girlfriend makes jokes about my "jewiness," but I can promise you she's not anti-semitic.

Look at it this way, a minute ago you were complaining because the characters were stereotypes. Now you're complaining that he's the opposite of the stereotype. Do you want a movie full of "normal" people? Those movies are boring.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Dec 26, 2006, 01:39 AM

Trying to say something, but ultimately saying nothing... and if it did say anything, it'd be hypocritical and negate itself

Forum Links
Forum Rules