Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Fox is at it again: "Obama went to a Madrassa"

Fox is at it again: "Obama went to a Madrassa"
UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2007, 04:07 AM

Check it out: YouTube - FOX News - "This is HUGE !!" - Barack Obama Raised as Muslim

Now here: CNN debunks false report about Obama - CNN.com

Leave it to Fox to forget to check their facts and run a story because they believe it on principle. The funny thing is, they try to blame the Hillary Clinton campaign. Journalism my ass.
( Last edited by UNTeMac; Jan 23, 2007 at 04:27 AM. )
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Jan 23, 2007, 08:38 AM

And I'm remembering a See-BS/60 minutes story devoid of fact checking.
All "news media" is garbage.
All reporters are lying producers of sensationalism.
( Last edited by Sky Captain; Jan 23, 2007 at 10:11 AM. )
All men are created equal, but what they do after that point puts them on a sliding scale.

UNTeMac  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2007, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Sky Captain View Post
And I'm remembering a See-BS/60 minutes story devoid of fact checking.
All "new media" is garbage.
All reporters are lying producers of sensationalism.
Did you just call 60 minutes "new media?" What's "old media?"
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2007, 10:11 AM

I meant "News Media".
It's all propaganda.
The "news" is supposed to be factual, not opinionated.
Or solutions based.
It's all garbage.

In fact when a "reporter" sends out trash as news, they should be detained then executed publicly.
All men are created equal, but what they do after that point puts them on a sliding scale.

Macrobat
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2007, 01:43 PM

Fox simply reported on the story after it broke, as did CNN and every other news outlet.

The OP's agenda notwithstanding - this was first floated by Insight Magazine - not Fox - and the Obama campaign claims it has links to the Clinton Smear Machine in its inception.

Maybe you should do a little research before your knee jerks next time?
"That Others May Live"
On the ISG: "The nation's capital hasn't seen such concentrated wisdom in one place since Paris Hilton dined alone at the Hooters on Connecticut Avenue." - John Podhoretz

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2007, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by UNTeMac View Post
Leave it to Fox to forget to check their facts and run a story because they believe it on principle.
Leave it to beloved liberal Dan Rather and CBS to forge documents and run the story.

UNTeMac  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2007, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Macrobat View Post
Fox simply reported on the story after it broke, as did CNN and every other news outlet.

The OP's agenda notwithstanding - this was first floated by Insight Magazine - not Fox - and the Obama campaign claims it has links to the Clinton Smear Machine in its inception.

Maybe you should do a little research before your knee jerks next time?
Insight magazine is a conservatively slanted publication and it was the only source cited by the Fox News report. If you watch the youtube clip you'd see I'm hardly knee-jerking. Listen to how those hosts on the program present the information. It's hardly journalistic. CNN's run of the story simply did some checking and certainly didn't muddle the facts of the story to fit their agenda.

If you actually believe that the Fox News treatment of the story was unbiased and journalistic then please argue why. Don't step around it.

UNTeMac  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2007, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
Leave it to beloved liberal Dan Rather and CBS to forge documents and run the story.
Don't avoid the topic. Do you disagree that Fox's presentation of the story was dripping with bias?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2007, 07:03 PM

Did you just call 60 minutes "new media?" What's "old media?"
Sky Captain doesn't like anybody in the business of disseminating information.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Rumor
Jan 23, 2007, 07:06 PM

The Captain has a point. Most news media outlets are biased one way or the other. Rarely do you find factual reporting without some opinion thrown in there.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2007, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
The Captain has a point. Most news media outlets are biased one way or the other. Rarely do you find factual reporting without some opinion thrown in there.
How do we know that if there is no reliable source of information?
Chuck
___

Rumor
Jan 23, 2007, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
How do we know that if there is no reliable source of information?
How do we know what? That people are biased?

If you add opinion to fact, it's no longer fact.

^^
Perfect example.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2007, 07:40 PM

How do we know what? That people are biased?
How do we detect biased reporting if we don't know anything to begin with?
Chuck
___

Rumor
Jan 23, 2007, 07:49 PM

Why can't we look at the facts and come to our own conclusion?

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2007, 07:53 PM

A reporter's job is to bring the facts to the public.
Pure Journalism. Not here's what I think happened as news.
Or sensationalise an event for the sake of profits or political gain.

Punish innacuracies through capital punishment.
It's the only solution.

I had a neighbor, a councilwoman, that was killed in an automobile accident.
The leeches came to my door looking for dirt.
Kept on me for anything that they could twist into half truths.
This event opened my eyes to what bottom feeders the "news media" are.
I slammed my door in their face after I told the the interview was over.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2007, 10:25 PM

Why can't we look at the facts and come to our own conclusion?
Because unless the question is something as straightforward as "Who stole a cookie from the cookie jar?" the facts usually aren't going to be right in front of our eyes. They're going to be reported by somebody else. If we universally distrust people who report things, do we have any facts to look at?
Chuck
___

UNTeMac  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2007, 12:22 AM

I certainly see Sky Capt.'s point here but I do believe that Fox News deliberately propagandizes news to advance its agenda. While I agree many news organizations also let their agenda show, Fox is the most unapologetically blatant about it as shown by the clip.

Local news is a different sort of beast than other outlets too. I absolutely despise local news because they play to the bottom of the barrel when it comes to stories. They're not solely to blame but I can't remember the last time I saw a journalistically sound local news program. I'm not sure if that's what you were talking about when they came to your door, Capt.

Macrobat
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2007, 01:37 AM

Every news outlet blatantly propagandizes. The fact that you happen to disagree with the slant Fox places on a story is at the root of your unhappiness with them - and that is all there is to it.

In your zeal to slam Fox, you are (rather conveniently) ignoring the FACT that the Obama Campaign says the story was originated by someone within the Clinton organization.

The fact that Insight - which just happens to be a conservative magazine - chose to run with it while other outlets did not, might be a bone of contention, but really - big whoop.

Why aren't you castigating the Clinton organization?

BTW, CNN's "debunk" is weak in the extreme and not the decisive action you would like for us to believe it is - based on complete hearsay as it is - you see, there is quite plain for anyone to see a Mosque right there on the school grounds in CNN's own longshot.

Hate to break it to you - but if it is ultimately proven true - it IS huge news in today's political climate.

NO ONE on the Conservative side of the aisle will gain anything in particular if this is true, but Hillary Rodham Clinton is the SOLE person who would benifit from any besmirching of Obama's name.

Your indignation is decidedly misplaced.
( Last edited by Macrobat; Jan 24, 2007 at 09:13 AM. )
"That Others May Live"
On the ISG: "The nation's capital hasn't seen such concentrated wisdom in one place since Paris Hilton dined alone at the Hooters on Connecticut Avenue." - John Podhoretz

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2007, 03:44 AM

Insight magazine is a conservatively slanted publication and it was the only source cited by the Fox News report..
Yet the original Insight article itself was derived from sources working for Hillary Clinton's campaign.

Don't kid yourself about who stood to gain from this. Hillary is the only one who could benefit at this time by falsly painting Obama's past, and it was her people who leaked the misinformation.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2007, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
Yet the original Insight article itself was derived from sources working for Hillary Clinton's campaign.
Given the misrepresentation that already exists there, I'd have a hard time believing anything it says, including the claims of who the sources were. While it's plausible it could be from an overzealous Clinton aide, one certainly must take that claim with a bucket of salt.

Don't kid yourself about who stood to gain from this. Hillary is the only one who could benefit at this time by falsly painting Obama's past, and it was her people who leaked the misinformation.
Actually, it is easily argued that those against the Democrats would benefit. ie. This doesn't benefit either Hillary or Obama. In fact, it potentially harms both of them, the two front-runners for the Democratic presidential campaign. OTOH, it may be there is no malice, and just that the people involved are simply clueless.

Macrobat
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2007, 01:58 PM

Sorry, Eug, it's not Insight claiming the source was Hitlery's campaign it's OBAMA'S PEOPLE.
"That Others May Live"

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 24, 2007, 04:15 PM

Hitlery's
If this sort of bullshit is what she's up against, it's time for bloodshed in your country.

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2007, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
If this sort of bullshit is what she's up against, it's time for bloodshed in your country.
Meaning?

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2007, 04:56 PM

Sorry, Eug, it's not Insight claiming the source was Hitlery's campaign it's OBAMA'S PEOPLE.
No it's not. It was all one big typical conservative hit-job lie: It smeared both Obama (terrorist!) and Hillary (she said it!). Neither was true.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 24, 2007, 05:12 PM

Meaning?
What do you want to hear? The non-insinuating brain-dead-compatible version?

Right then: People who resort to calling her "Hitlery" are probably not those least deserving to be shot.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2007, 11:51 PM

"Insight Magazine, which is owned by the same company as The Washington Times, reported on its Web site last week that associates of Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-New York, had unearthed information the Illinois Democrat and likely presidential candidate attended a Muslim religious school known for teaching the most fundamentalist form of Islam."

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2007, 11:57 PM

The funny thing in all this is that he actually DID go to a Madrassa.

UNTeMac  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2007, 03:24 AM

ma·dra·sah [muh-dras-uh] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun Islam.
a school or college, esp. a school attached to a mosque where young men study theology.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

ma·dra·sah also ma·dra·sa or ma·dras·sah (mə-drä'sə) Pronunciation Key
n. Islam
A building or group of buildings used for teaching Islamic theology and religious law, typically including a mosque.

[Arabic madrasa, from darasa, to study; see drš in Semitic roots.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
So a Madrasa is not in fact where he went. The school was a mixed religion school that taught all faiths as well as other knowledge. The clear and intentional implication in the Insight story that was repeated again and again on Fox news was that the school Obama attended was the same as the ones cranking out suicide bombers. One of the hosts even makes insinuating reference to his middle name, which is of course the pinnacle of rational political debate.

I say again, journalism my ass.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2007, 04:02 AM

Right then: People who resort to calling her "Hitlery" are probably not those least deserving to be shot.
and after that statement who is more deserving?

You wish to shed blood over name-calling? Jeez i'd hate to vacation wherever the **** in the 9th century you live

I believe it was....oh yeah!! elementary school (ever been?) that I learned this wise and inciteful rhyme.
It goes a little something like...Sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2007, 04:22 AM

Gee, speech is so threatening that you would like to resort to bloodshed. How liberal of you.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2007, 04:34 AM

a) I didn't say that.

b) So I had a bad day yesterday. Mea culpa.

c) "Hitlery" is certainly monstrously cool, and very political. Macrobat!

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2007, 08:08 AM

So basically, it's ok for the "left" to exercise the 1st but when the right does it, kill them to quell them? It's OK to bash Bush and call him "Hitler". But let the "right" do it and it's wholesale slaughter.

I see.
This is why I don't fully align myself with they left.
They're moonbat crazy.
Revolution is always OK for the left to squash out ideas they don't agree with.

I actually expected higher of you. I read your responses.
*sigh* even I go off on a tangent sometimes.

May I ask a personal question?

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2007, 10:36 AM

Right.

And the other funny thing is that Hitlery actually DID spread this rumor.

And Obama actually IS a terrorist.

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 25, 2007, 11:04 AM

Well I hope most US presidential candidates have gone to school at some point in their life. Or is that too much to ask?

"Learn to swim"

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2007, 11:21 AM

P.S. Even if he did go to an all-Muslim school (he didn't), so what?

I personally prefer to judge a person by the content of their character.

Or is there some unwritten rule that no Muslims should be allowed in US government positions?

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2007, 11:52 AM

Well he was in Indonesia.
But I though the school was not a madressa.
And he attended a Catholic school.

Even *I* can't make any accusations here.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2007, 01:03 PM

Well he was in Indonesia.
But I though the school was not a madressa.
And he attended a Catholic school.

Even *I* can't make any accusations here.
It wasn't a madrassa. But even if it were, I don't see what the big deal is.

Note, according to what I read online, the word madrassa doesn't have to even mean Islamic school. Of course, many are, and there are some that are hardcore fundamentalist, but obviously not every madrassa is the same.

P.S. I find it interesting that nobody cares if he went to a Catholic school, but if he went to a Muslim school, that would be totally shocking.

EDIT:

To be clear, he claims that he went to a predominantly muslim school for a couple of years, and then to a Catholic school.

If anything I think this is advantage for a president, since s/he would have first hand knowledge of different religions/perspectives. That said, I still don't see this guy as president.
( Last edited by Eug; Jan 25, 2007 at 01:16 PM. )

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2007, 01:16 PM

Because Catholics aren't blowing people up at the moment.

It was a problem in 1961 though with Kennedy.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2007, 01:28 PM

Ironically, if this were closer to the election I think this could have helped the Dems get a few of the undecided votes.

This smear campaign against both Obama and Hillary just comes across as totally ridiculous.

Rumor
Jan 25, 2007, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
It wasn't a madrassa. But even if it were, I don't see what the big deal is.

P.S. I find it interesting that nobody cares if he went to a Catholic school, but if he went to a Muslim school, that would be totally shocking.
With the current level of fear for everything Islamic that a majority of the population of the US has, why does this surprise you?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2007, 01:39 PM

With the current level of fear for everything Islamic that a majority of the population of the US has, why does this surprise you?
Well, I hoped people were smarter than that (especially considering there are muslim schools all over the US), but I guess I should never assume that journalists actually have a clue.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2007, 01:54 PM

What is the difference between exercising your first amendment, and using inflammatory language for an unproductive cause, like simply ruffling feathers for the sake of it?

This is what so many here and in the media seem to struggle with. If you insist on tossing out a name like "Hitlery", at least make an intelligent argument explaining why she should be compared to Hitler, and do not exaggerate (this goes for both sides of the political aisle, and with any other target)

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2007, 02:26 PM

Because, my dear besson...infammatory language != a call for bloodshed.

Macrobat
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2007, 04:47 PM

Whoops. Looks like even Insight Magazine's coverage has been misrepresented (Imagine that).

We at Insight commend CNN for at least showing the initiative to follow-up on the story and send a correspondent to check it out. But, contrary to their claims, CNN didn’t debunk anything about our story. For the record, Insight never–not once–in its article claims that Obama went to a Madrassa. We didn’t claim it; Hillary’s people did. We reported–and we fully stand by our story–that the Hillary Clinton camp had conducted their own opposition research on Obama’s Muslim past, and that the Clinton investigators had concluded Obama had attended a Madrassa.
Insight Magazine's article was about a Clinton Staffer saying that Obama attended a madrassa.

So Eug, where's your "smear campaign directed at Clinton and Obama?" It was - FROM THE BEGINNING - a smear campaign directed at Obama BY the Clinton Campaign.

I guess comprehension is something that is taught as an afterthought in our liberal education system.

In short, if you want to be indignant - aim it at Saint Hilary and NOT at Fox, who simply reported on it just like every other news outlet in the country. Speak to the insitagtor and his/her message, not to the delivery systme for the message.
( Last edited by Macrobat; Jan 25, 2007 at 04:55 PM. )
"That Others May Live"

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2007, 04:51 PM

Whoops. Looks like even Insight Magaszine's coverage has been misrepresented (Imagine that).

Insight Magazine's article was about a Clinton Staffer saying that Obama attended a madrassa.

I guess comprehension is something that is taught as an afterthought in our liberal education system.

In short, if you want to be indignant - aim it at Saint Hilary and NOT at Fox, who simply reported on it just like every other news outlet in the country. Speak to the insitagtor and his/her message, not to the delivery systme for the message.
We know that already.

The point is few people (besides Fox) believe Insight is credible here.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2007, 05:06 PM

So basically, it's ok for the "left" to exercise the 1st but when the right does it, kill them to quell them? It's OK to bash Bush and call him "Hitler". But let the "right" do it and it's wholesale slaughter.

I see.
This is why I don't fully align myself with they left.
They're moonbat crazy.
Who is this "left" you're talking about? Hmm?

Have I called Bush "Hitler"?

Bush's foreign policy *has* been compared to Hitler's; that's true.

Have Hilary Clinton's policies? Or is this just a "cool" word play devoid of any content in a brilliant attempt to make it clear that - ooooh - you don't like her? What is this? Grade school politics?

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
If you insist on tossing out a name like "Hitlery", at least make an intelligent argument explaining why she should be compared to Hitler, and do not exaggerate (this goes for both sides of the political aisle, and with any other target)

And then, I did manage to post this one, that you ignored, Cap'n:

b) So I had a bad day yesterday. Mea culpa.

c) "Hitlery" is certainly monstrously cool, and very political. Macrobat!
G'day.

-ch.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2007, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Well, I hoped people were smarter than that (especially considering there are muslim schools all over the US), but I guess I should never assume that journalists actually have a clue.
Those people aren't "journalists".

Macrobat
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2007, 05:11 PM

Backpedal all you want, the reports all said the same thing, that Insight reported a Clinton staffer as the source and NO ONE from the Clinton Campaign has stepped forward with a statement. If you're going to be indignant, aim your indignation at the guilty party.

All you're proving is that a Leftie will believe anything as long as it makes the Right look bad - even when the Right is simply reporting on what a Lefite TOLD them in the first place.

Insight's credibility with the Left has NOTHING to do with it. What IS telling is the sounds of crickets from the Clinton Campaign despite their being cited as the source of the information and the national coverage it's getting.

(here's a newsflash, Salon has equal credibility with the Right - but when they report something with accredidation, the credited source is responsible for rebutting any falsehoods)

Not even a denial. Clue up.

LMFAO!
"That Others May Live"

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2007, 05:14 PM

If I were in Hillary's shoes I don't know if I would say anything either. When you respond to every little claim (especially when it's mainly about someone else) from every website, sometimes it just opens you up to even more.

Mind you, at this point it may be prudent to respond, given the hooplah.

Macrobat
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2007, 05:19 PM

Sorry, that platitude simply doesn't cut it when the thing starts getting this much play from major news outlets.
"That Others May Live"

Forum Links
Forum Rules