Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Local arson statement at my college hangout

Local arson statement at my college hangout
UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2007, 04:19 AM

Denton officials investigate Fry Street arson | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | Latest News

YouTube - Fire in Denton Texas - Tomato Pizza 1

The Flying Tomato on Fry Street in Denton, TX was a famous place for pizza and cheap pitchers while I went to UNT and a development company bought it out several months ago with plans to bulldoze and replace it with a CVS and a Starbucks. Fry Street and the Tomato are cultural icons of Denton and UNT and apparently someone wanted to make statement before the 1920's era building was demolished.

Despite grass-roots efforts, we couldn't save these landmarks from demolition and replacement of commercialized, homogenous, chain stores and retail outlets. It raises an issue that hit close to home for most of us here, recently: Is the "chain"-ification of all old and perhaps cherished places inevitable? Will we all end up living in cookie-cutter places that look like everywhere else?
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2007, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by UNTeMac View Post
Despite grass-roots efforts, we couldn't save these landmarks from demolition and replacement of commercialized, homogenous, chain stores and retail outlets. It raises an issue that hit close to home for most of us here, recently: Is the "chain"-ification of all old and perhaps cherished places inevitable? Will we all end up living in cookie-cutter places that look like everywhere else?
This seems to be where we are moving to at the moment, and I for one detest it as well. If variety is indeed the spice of life, then life is starting to lose a lot of flavor in recent times.

Forum Links
Forum Rules