Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > PC Mag benchmarks don't jive with Barefeats (24 inch iMac)

PC Mag benchmarks don't jive with Barefeats (24 inch iMac)
OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2006, 07:16 PM

http://www.pcmag.com/image_popup/0,1...=147642,00.asp

http://www.barefeats.com/imcd4.html

Why such a huge difference? Is it the way they were reviewed? something is fishy when the lower res lower quality framerate is lower than the high res high framerate one.

-Owl

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2006, 07:26 PM

7300GT vs 7600GT?

OwlBoy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2006, 07:31 PM

I hope you looked at the links. If you did you would see both list the 7600.

-Owl

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2006, 08:08 PM

Oh... then I'd guess one is using the universal version and the other is using the powerpc version.

nagromme
Senior User
Sep 24, 2006, 11:19 PM

I wondered the same thing--but BareFeats has their testing method down pretty solid for games, and they have multiple people doing the tests, and a lot of DIFFERENT tests--different games, different res... and all of BareFeats tests seem to agree with each other. So do informal tests I have seen.

Therefore I think PC Mag screwed up, which is a shame because it will make a lot of people think the iMac is much slower than reality.

And the nature of the screw-up may be that they installed the game and never patched it--so it's running in Rosetta at a huge penalty.
nagromme

rnicoll
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2006, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by nagromme
I wondered the same thing--but BareFeats has their testing method down pretty solid for games, and they have multiple people doing the tests, and a lot of DIFFERENT tests--different games, different res... and all of BareFeats tests seem to agree with each other. So do informal tests I have seen.

Therefore I think PC Mag screwed up, which is a shame because it will make a lot of people think the iMac is much slower than reality.

And the nature of the screw-up may be that they installed the game and never patched it--so it's running in Rosetta at a huge penalty.
That would be my thought too. Given the graphics cards in question, there's no reason the difference should be anything like that huge...

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2006, 03:33 PM

PCMag is legally "on the take" and apparantly not so saavy with Apple technologies.
Barefeats does solid benchmarking to the point Steve & Co temporarily banned one of the guys from benchmarking at the local Apple store for dispelling Steve's wild marketing performance boasts.
Whom would you believe?
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

OwlBoy  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2006, 08:15 PM

Hmm, thanks for the posts. This is what I assumed was going on too.

-Owl

Forum Links
Forum Rules