Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Latest iPod fireware update breaks playback of some videos

Latest iPod fireware update breaks playback of some videos
icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 12, 2006, 06:58 AM

I just updated my iPod to find that the videos I had converted myself no longer play properly. They will play for a bit but the video freezes and then resumes a couple of seconds later, but with no audio. These are all small (around 50MB) files encoded in h.264 at a bitrate of 256k with Videora iPod Convertor, but other people are experiencing problems with other kinds of files converted with other programs.I have a 60GB model. There is a large thread on iLounge.com filled with people that have similar problems. For now, I would recommend not updating. I am going back to the old firmware, which should solve my problem. If not, I will be very upset, since I have spent a lot of time converting things. I assume that this is not a permenant problem and that it will be fixed with a subsequent update.

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Jan 12, 2006, 08:17 AM

Ha opps, just got done updating to 1.1.

Tried some of the things they listed in the threads, I have not seen any problems as of yet. Fast forward, rewind, on iTunes Purchased music and my own ripped from handbrake and even from my FCP videos made down into QT for iPod all seem to play fine no video or sound issue, pause start, ect ect. Paused a video and let it set and it just went to sleep as I read that was also an issue.

So far so good on mine.
( Last edited by IFLY2HIGH; Jan 12, 2006 at 08:33 AM. )
- Eric

icruise  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 12, 2006, 11:49 AM

Do you have a 30GB or a 60GB? It seems like the people experiencing problems mostly (or exclusively?) have 60GB models.

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Jan 12, 2006, 05:07 PM

60 gig white model.
- Eric

icruise  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 13, 2006, 03:45 AM

Well, that's nice for you. It doesn't make my problems any less real, though. I reinstalled the 1.0 software and I'm back to normal for now.

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Jan 13, 2006, 07:51 AM

I used it last night and didn't notice anything different with playing videos, watched a DVD ripped with handbrake actually, and the Green Day Videos I bought off iTunes. I did notice that it seems to sleep and wake up better, apple logo now lights up after being off for hours when it fires back up, and the menus are quicker. Other than that no issues for me yet, guess I'm the lucky one out of the bunch? Mine was also custom engraved, did I get better hardware parts on another assembly line? Am I the only one without issues so far?

When I first got my iPod it was messing up, and I did a restore even though it was new (1.0 firm) I think it was you actually who suggested it and seemed to fix the werid issue (Random Restarting) I was having. Have you tried doing just a "restore" with the 1.1 firmware by chance?
( Last edited by IFLY2HIGH; Jan 13, 2006 at 08:30 AM. )
- Eric

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2006, 02:56 PM

Icruise, I know what you mean. I've been visiting that thread over at ilounge and at the Apple discussion site. I don't know if you read my postings there. I have a 60 gig that isn't having many of the symptoms people are saying. I'm looking to do some experimenting with videos encoded with Videora on Windows at different settings and with the files I have encoded on the Mac using Handbrake. The files I've encoded using Handbrake are about 80-88 Megs each and I also have 2 full length movies on it as well. Both of those are around 3-400 megs if not larger. If you want could you upload somewhere a video or 2 that you encoded in Videora with the specs of the videos I would do the same with some that I have encoded in handbrake for you to test out and see if you have the same issue with my videos.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2006, 04:46 PM

I'm using a 60-gig black model, and I'm seeing the issue - only on some videos, though.

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Jan 13, 2006, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
I'm using a 60-gig black model, and I'm seeing the issue - only on some videos, though.
Can you be more specific? Are you having with your ripped videos, iTunes videos, poscasts?
- Eric

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2006, 06:34 PM

ripped videos.

Both .avis converted to mp4 via iSquint.

The Xvid ones converted to maximum quality play fine. 512x384, about 165 MB for 25 mins.

The other one I'm not sure what codec it was originally, but it's at the same quality - 512x384, 390MB for 1 hour 16 mins.

All played okay before, except for a nasty video glitch that would introduce a sort of nasty ripping/mirroring over the top 5 mm of the screen (gone for a while after a restart, but recurring), and that I haven't seen since the update.

Charlie 5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2006, 06:15 AM

Someone I was talking to just now had just got off the phone with Apple. He was told that a lot of complaints had come in and that the techs were reading forums about the issues and were aware that this was a bad update. They are working to fix it (apparently!). All videos that played before should still play and if they don't it's because the update is faulty.

I believe the guy that said it, whether I believe the guy at Apple I'm not so sure but he did say that it wasn't in their interest to 'break' their best selling product!

Hey ho...

michaelb
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2006, 09:06 PM

Just been testing mine:

Ripped DVDs (Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, etc).... check.
Home movies (iMovie edited)... check.
Video podcasts (Tiki Bar, Rocketboom, etc)... check.
Music videos (purchased, downloaded)... check.
3D animations (short "flyarounds")... didn't play first time, played second time after coaxing.
Downloaded TV shows (The Office, Seinfeld, etc)... check.
Google video screencaptures (Snapz Pro X captured)... check.
CNET video screencaptures, CES highlights (Snapz Pro X captured)... check.

Apart from the 3D flyarounds, which gave trouble before anyway (I think because they are so short), I haven't had anything that hasn't played.

This represents a collection of about 42 GB of video, encoded with a mixture of Videora for iPod, Handbrake, and QuickTime Player Pro (export for iPod video popup). I mostly use H.264 for stuff encoded myself (I find H.264 384kbps/128kbps AAC to be a nice sweet spot), but sometime MPEG-4 for stuff I want to share with my PSP, and some downloaded stuff is MPEG-4 as well.

So, as long as I have Star Wars to relive my childhood and Lala (Tiki Bar) to relive my fantasies, I'm very happy with firmware 1.1.

icruise  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 14, 2006, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by michaelb
Just been testing mine:
And you have a 60GB model?

michaelb
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2006, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Icruise
And you have a 60GB model?
Yes (and a 4GB nano, which I bought solely to use at the gym, so I can listen to useful stuff while working out.)

I've been playing a few more videos on the 60GB 5th gen and still can't find anything broken. Everything that played before plays now.

I don't know whether the problems people are having are similar to the original Main vs Baseline H.264 profile that caused a lot of problems with movies not playing back, or something else, but I'm a problem-free v1.1 updater.

(Except for the fact that scrolling through podcasts marked with lots of blue dots is still glacial - how hard is that to fix, firmware programmers?)

TimothyJay
Jan 16, 2006, 12:46 PM

I also have the same problem. I have the 60gb Black model, and when I play a tv show I converted from avi using iSquint, it would freeze, and if I'm lucky, would resume without audio. That is only for that video though, since it is my only "long/size-heavy" file. The rest are music videos, which play fine.

Ruishanko
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2006, 03:03 PM

Hi

Just spalshed out on the 60GB 5th Generation iPod, a month ago, and actually had a loss of sound 1.5 hours into a movie on the plane the other day before the upgrade. (compressed with Quicktime Pro)

I was happy to see an upgrade (not so frequent with apple, which is reassuring) which I assumed would fix the issue.

After the 'fix' all my videos (mostly ripped with iSquint) loose audio after 25 seconds or so.

Everyone is complaining, but is there a solution, other than to revert to 1.0?

At the Finnish store, there are not really any 'pay' videos to download, and as I fly a lot in my work, I converted a few of my own DVD's to avi, then to mov, before converting with iSquint.

My iPod cost 450 EUR, and it no longer does what I want it to, and I am unable to get iTunes video content...

I switched from PC to Mac after the joy of using my iPod Mini, but I sincerely hope Apple is not going the same way as MS :-/

Any ideas?

Cheers
Ruishanko
PowerBook G4 15", 1.67 GHz, 1GB RAM, 100GB HDD
iMac20" 2.1GHz PowerPC G5, 1GB RAM, 250GB HDD
2 x 250GB external HDD
iPod 60GB 5th Generation (White)
iPod 30GB 5th Generation (White)
iPod HiFi
iPod Mini 6GB

icruise  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 18, 2006, 03:05 PM

Just wait. I would be very surprised if Apple didn't address this problem in the next update. In the meantime, revert to 1.0.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 18, 2006, 06:04 PM

It is annoying, but it doesn't affect all videos, and I'm sure Apple's engineers are on extra shifts working on this problem - it could be a bit of a publicity problem if it's not resolved soon.

crooner
Senior User
Jan 18, 2006, 10:52 PM

I gotta say that I'm truly sorry you guys are having to deal with this issue. It sometimes boggles my mind when Apple lets an update out the door with bugs that are major and easily reproducible.
Take the star rating bug in iTunes 6.0.2...

In any case, it was because of you folks posting this info that I refrained from updating my firmware at all. So if it's of any comfort, you did a public service.

And yes, I think Apple will quickly address this.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

crooner
Senior User
Apr 9, 2006, 08:14 PM

Can anyone verify if this issue has been corrected with the latest 1.1.1 firmware release?

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2006, 02:37 AM

It is fixed.

icruise  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 10, 2006, 03:16 AM

Yes it is. Took them long enough, but at least it's fixed.

crooner
Senior User
Apr 10, 2006, 04:10 PM

Ahh... Thank you, both! I will now apply it with confidence.

lilford
Apr 13, 2006, 05:23 PM

Do you guys think its worth it to update to 1.1.1.? I didn't update yet but don't know if I should.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2006, 06:37 PM

What does this thread tell you about the 1.1.1 update, Krjat?

Hm?

lilford
Apr 13, 2006, 06:57 PM

Well I didn't read it, so How am I suppose to know?

Forum Links
Forum Rules