Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Canadian Denial

Canadian Denial
shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2013, 09:40 PM

What is it with the apologizing, already? I mean, come on. You can't believe everything is your fault.

And the Blue Jays suck.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2013, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
What is it with the apologizing, already? I mean, come on. You can't believe everything is your fault.

And the Blue Jays suck.

They certainly do this year! I'm sorry about that.

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2013, 09:46 PM

I'm not. It's just making it that much easier for the Red Sox to get the division.

I see what you did there.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2013, 10:12 PM

I'm not. It's just making it that much easier for the Red Sox to get the division.

I see what you did there.
Baseball is such a weird game that is virtually impossible to predict. Prior to the start of the season most pundits would have guessed that the Jays would finish well above .500, if not make the playoffs, that Josh Johnson wouldn't completely money the bed, RA Dickey and Melky Cabrera wouldn't regress as they have, and that wouldn't we'd have the same sorts of injury problems we had last year.

I'm picking the Astros next year.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2013, 11:48 PM

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2013, 03:16 PM

Baseball is easy to predict if you go with a team that doesn't suck ass.

The Yankees finally got what's been coming to them for 20+ years. Meanwhile, the Red Sox bounced back from a terrible season to clinch the AL East division and have a real chance at winning the World Series..

It's not unpredictable at all.

gradient
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2013, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2013, 03:54 PM

Everything in PWL is trolling.

Also: biometric is the least secure single-factor authentication method.

gradient
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2013, 04:03 PM

Everything in PWL is trolling.
Problem is, that's not true.

gradient
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2013, 04:07 PM

On (trollish) topic: the Great Canadian Denial is that we're uniquely polite, just, and peaceful.

Pretty sure that nobody up here is under the illusion that the Blue Jays are anything but terrible. Besides, where I'm from, real baseball fans cheer for the Canadians or Mariners.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2013, 05:09 PM

Baseball is easy to predict if you go with a team that doesn't suck ass.

The Yankees finally got what's been coming to them for 20+ years. Meanwhile, the Red Sox bounced back from a terrible season to clinch the AL East division and have a real chance at winning the World Series..

It's not unpredictable at all.
Yeah it is. Your pundits were going with the Nationals, Angels, Giants, and Jays to all do much better for various reasons.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2013, 07:05 PM

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2013, 09:57 PM

People who know the Red Sox knew they were capable of it. Everyone saw what Bobby Valentine did to the team's morale - and people who knew what they were talking about knew how good John Farrell was for the team.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2013, 10:05 PM

People who know the Red Sox knew they were capable of it. Everyone saw what Bobby Valentine did to the team's morale - and people who knew what they were talking about knew how good John Farrell was for the team.

Oh, I think a lot of people thought the Red Sox were capable, but a lot of things had to swing in their favor, which they did. E.g. Lackey, Bucholz, and Lester not sucking, Ellsbury improving, Ortiz staying healthy, etc.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2013, 10:23 PM

The Jays just beat the Red Sox. The Red Sox suck!

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2013, 02:32 AM

I would say magstripe is by far the worst.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2013, 02:39 AM

Wax seal.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2013, 02:40 AM

In reality, thousands of simple passwords that my hamster can crack in 1 millisecond make passwords ON AVERAGE far worse than any biometric-based authentication.

-t

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2013, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by iMOTOR View Post
I would say magstripe is by far the worst.
Biometric is one of the three factors of authentication - something you have, something you know, and something you are.

Biometric is something you are. Once it's compromised, it's compromised for life. The false positive rate is also too high to be considered truly secure as a single factor authentication method.

Magstripe is something you have. It can be immediately revoked and replaced if compromised.

No single-factor authentication method is as secure as two- or three-factor, though.

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
In reality, thousands of simple passwords that my hamster can crack in 1 millisecond make passwords ON AVERAGE far worse than any biometric-based authentication.

-t
The problem is, modern password systems don't really allow for brute force attempts, because after a limited number of attempts, the account is locked.

With consideration for the three factors of authentication, passwords are still the most secure single factor method, taking into account how each factor can be compromised or bypassed.

Something you are is tied to your physical being (e.g. a fingerprint, retina scan, etc.). Once compromised, it is unusable for as long as you are alive. If all ten fingerprints are compromised, you can no longer rely on fingerprint authentication as a single factor.

Something you have is generally an object - an RSA token, a smart card, a cell phone with a one-time use code sent to it - and that object can easily be lost or stolen. However, that object can be immediately revoked and replaced if it is compromised. That being the case, it's inherently more secure (although not secure compared to two-factor methods) than biometric.

Something you know is a password or PIN. It is compromised through phishing, social engineering, service-side exploits (hacking to retrieve password hashes and attempting to reverse those hashes to obtain usable passwords), keyloggers, etc. If compromised, like an object, a password can be immediately revoked and reset.

Biometric is not a reliable single factor method of authentication. Incidentally, the way the iPhone 5S uses it is admittedly slightly better, since rebooting or too many invalid biometric attempts will force the user to input the backup password or PIN.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2013, 11:10 PM

The reason biometric has value (in something like a phone) is because it costs more than a phone to crack.

Forum Links
Forum Rules