Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Official hacking Leopard's GUI thread.

Official hacking Leopard's GUI thread.
Kevin
Baninated
Oct 26, 2007, 04:54 AM

Since Leopard has a new GUI, and new files for said GUI this thread if for those looking for said files, what to do with them, and show the modifications made to said GUI. Once this gets on it's way we can start posting our screenshots in the screenshot thread. I just don't want the Screenshot thread being over-run with 10.5 questions.

I just got 10.5 installed last night.. been mucking around and I believe I have figured it out. Will be in work for the next 8 hours though without Leopard *sigh*

goMac knows a lot about what is going on here as well. And Hopefully he will add idea information that can be helpful.

MartiNZ
Senior User
Oct 26, 2007, 06:02 AM

Good luck to you. I'm a couple of hours installed and still working through the loss of navigable folders in the dock; the scrollbars are still high on my list of *sigh* factors though .

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Oct 26, 2007, 07:48 AM

Yeah I am at work right at the moment.. really jonesing to get in there and muck around.

I am still deciding what all I am changing. I KNOW the scroll bars are going. The Aqua checkboxes and widgets and buttons as well.

I just don't know what to do with the x-+ buttons or the pill buttons.

The rest will be easier as I am just copying iTunes's resources and look. The x-+ buttons will look out of place if they are the only ones that are Aqua anymore don't you think?

Anyone have any ideas as to what would look better? I have ideas as to what *I* want (and that might just what I do) but I want to make other people happy as well.

That is if swizz or Max don't decide to fix 10.5's GUI like Max did with his Aqua makeovers. If they do, I have no reason to do this. As max has shown he was good at making Aqua more consistent. I am sure he could do the same for Unified. But I haven't heard from the guy in forever.

Swiz has the abilities too. But I am not so sure he planned on making a installer version and only doing the ShapeShifter thing. So that leaves me out

While I am making an installer theme, I am sure I can export one to shapeshifter. that is if I even use Themepark. (All of Sosumi was done before Themepark had even came out)

I have no problems with others that want to use SS, I just use one theme, and have no need to switch to different ones. And the changes I am going to make wont require SS type hackery.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Oct 26, 2007, 07:51 AM

BTW here is a mockup of what I want the Finder to look like.

I think the x-+ widgets are however out of place in this theme. And I am trying to think of something better to replace them with.

Maybe something like the black translucent inspector window buttons are like..

The graphite "stoplights" look better however than the red green yellow ones do.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Oct 26, 2007, 11:45 AM

BTW I just recently heard that Apple was checking for hacks, and disabling things if detected.

For example, none of the unsanity GUI hack programs will work in 10.5. And probably will never work in 10.5

Apple seems to be not wanting hacks like this to be used on their OS because of the stability problem. So they put in a "hack" check.

I am not sure yet (until I get home and try) if this effects the way I do themes or not. But I figure ShapeShifter wont be working on 10.5 anytime soon. I just hope it doesn't effect replacements.

The hacking on the fly in RAM Apple seems to be blocking. Or disabling.

swiz
GUI Punk
Oct 26, 2007, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
BTW I just recently heard that Apple was checking for hacks, and disabling things if detected.

For example, none of the unsanity GUI hack programs will work in 10.5. And probably will never work in 10.5

Apple seems to be not wanting hacks like this to be used on their OS because of the stability problem. So they put in a "hack" check.

I am not sure yet (until I get home and try) if this effects the way I do themes or not. But I figure ShapeShifter wont be working on 10.5 anytime soon. I just hope it doesn't effect replacements.

The hacking on the fly in RAM Apple seems to be blocking. Or disabling.

WhoaH!
Now that is serious Apple. Holy crap! LOL

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

swiz
GUI Punk
Oct 26, 2007, 01:34 PM

Is this a hacked version of Leopards Finder? Why is the scrollbar iTunes styled?
( Last edited by swiz; Oct 26, 2007 at 01:35 PM. Reason: switched link to img)

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2007, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by swiz View Post
Is this a hacked version of Leopards Finder? Why is the scrollbar iTunes styled?
And the menubar looks like 10.4 (in Leopard, the Apple menu is different, the bar is translucent and Spotlight looks like a normal menu extra).
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

swiz
GUI Punk
Oct 26, 2007, 01:49 PM

Very true, I just googled Leopard Finder and this popped up. Must be a phoney.

MartiNZ
Senior User
Oct 26, 2007, 02:15 PM

Pretty nice mockup anyway, tabs in Finder! I think that might have been for 10.6 .

Personally I've never been a fan of the graphite stop-lights, and that little bit of colour can be a relief, especially with a now very grey GUI.

This hack check thing is not friendly - I guess they're just following up on iPhone 1.1.1 though. Soon when we "authenticate", Apple will be notified that our actions should be watched ><.

swiz
GUI Punk
Oct 26, 2007, 03:36 PM

Its rainy and Jett is napping so I had a second to brainstorm.
In an effort to do no more than unify the widgets with the Finder I thought these were better than the traffic lights... though I do agree that the Finder is getting very gray.
Matching the scrollbars

Matches the List view header gradient

Playing off the glyphs when a search window appears with outline added

and no outline...

Nothing exciting, I just want those traffic lights to die die die!!!!
( Last edited by swiz; Oct 26, 2007 at 03:37 PM. Reason: summary sentence :))

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Oct 26, 2007, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by swiz View Post
Photoshopped. Been on Google's image site for months.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Oct 26, 2007, 04:35 PM

These two aren't bad BTW

With some minor improvements. (vector based etc)

We might have to work together on this

Something still doesn't look right.. I don't now what it is. I am juts going to have to futz with it when I get home.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2007, 04:56 PM

Apple is not checking for hacks. Unsanity's own products are setup to check for 10.5 and disable themselves on 10.5. Rosyna posted this on the cocoa dev list.

Janmansilver
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2007, 05:09 PM

The close, minemize and zoom buttons should just look like the play control buttons in iTunes, if you want the same scroll controls as in iTunes. The X-+buttons should have a smooth radial gradient and always show the x-+symbols - just like itunes on windows, just with circular-buttons.

Atomic Rooster
Oct 26, 2007, 05:39 PM

I did these for my favourite leopard style theme 'Seven'. Looks verrrry coolio! Go ahead make my day.

Janmansilver
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2007, 05:46 PM

How it should be:

I don't mind the Aqua/Candy look, but I do prefer the more "pro" iTunes look a bit more. So here's a quick and dirty mockup of how the "un-Aqua"-controls should look like. I also pointed out some layout inconsistencies between Safari (the right way) and Finder (the wrong way).

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2007, 06:12 PM

Crap, sorry, wrong thread.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2007, 07:49 PM

I hate these new style buttons (also shown in burn folders and the trash), the ones in earlier betas 500n for example were much cooler, reverting them back would be great.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Oct 26, 2007, 10:04 PM

Janmansilver I like those, maybe polished ones...

I also like the look of this

A darker look maybe.

( Last edited by Kevin; Oct 26, 2007 at 10:14 PM. )

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Oct 26, 2007, 10:15 PM

That is out of proportion. But you know what I mean. I think the dark looks better.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2007, 12:25 AM

Okay, I'll repeat my question from earlier --
Has anyone tried poking around with the various XML files in
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreUI.framework/Versions/A/Resources/AquaUI.bundle
?
It'd be terribly interesting if changing properties like
highlightMaterialName: glasshighlightmaterial
or
inlayMaterialBlur: 0.0
or
buttonStretchPoint: 0.5
or
outlineOpacity: 0.40

actually had an effect...

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2007, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
Okay, I'll repeat my question from earlier --
Has anyone tried poking around with the various XML files in
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreUI.framework/Versions/A/Resources/AquaUI.bundle
?
It'd be terribly interesting if changing properties like
highlightMaterialName: glasshighlightmaterial
or
inlayMaterialBlur: 0.0
or
buttonStretchPoint: 0.5
or
outlineOpacity: 0.40

actually had an effect...
Just to make everyone's lives a lot more complicated, I believe Apple made those files only have an effect when the interface resolution is bigger than 1.0.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Oct 27, 2007, 06:49 AM

Yup. So until RI is a feature, I probably wont be messing with those files. And thanks goMac for the help he has been given me so far.

Curiosity
Senior User
Oct 28, 2007, 03:13 AM

So I suppose there is no way of getting rid of the ugly white backgrounds in the windows and the Finder in Leopard?

Visualize
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2007, 06:00 AM

My nightmares have become less nightmare'ish after switching to Graphite in Leopard. *LOL*

I agree with you guys that something has to be done on the GUI. Anything, really. I would for one have loved to have white scrollbars while in Graphite mode. Just like the ones in the Widget Manager shown by Kevin.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2007, 09:50 AM

I hope there's a version of this new theme without the dark blue cast to half the elements. I don't like that in the iTunes sliders... we didn't really need another clashing shade of blue.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

tigas
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2007, 07:19 PM

Like I said when the first Leopard beta with Unified came out: someone page the UNO guy, he can predict the future.

Me? I've been using UNO exclusively since 10.3! Extras.rsrc hacking FTW.
My Mac is a Pismo G4/550: 1GB RAM, 40GB 5.4k, Airport, DVD-R, and still black, silent and curvaceous!

SpaceCat85
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2007, 08:46 PM

Cool mockups

Does anyone have plans to go all-out and replace all of the Aqua jelly elements with metallic ones, a la the fully metallic version of Brushed but more modern? I kludged together a "flat metal" ShapeShifter theme for myself awhile back using pieces of misc. other themes, but I don't have the rendering skills to do something from scratch when I move to Leopard

Visualize
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2007, 08:09 AM

( Last edited by Visualize; Nov 5, 2007 at 10:19 AM. Reason: none)

njbrubaker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2007, 11:34 AM

Where is the source image for Leopard's dark unified look that all the windows use? It's too dark for my taste and I'd like to lighten it up.

mr. burns
Senior User
Oct 31, 2007, 02:16 PM

does the brushed shapeshifter theme work for leopard yet?

or shapeshifter in general. i stopped using it because it would slow my computer's startup time to a few minutes. something to do with rosetta.

not all who wander are lost.

SpaceCat85
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2007, 06:50 PM

Something else that might be handy...

The Ars Technica review of Leopard has an overview of how the GUI resources in Leopard (PDFs, bitmap textures, and XML) work vs. the old resource file-based GUI:
Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard: the Ars Technica review: Page 10

DankOnlee21
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2007, 10:57 PM

Leopard is a huge disappointment. In fact, as a windows user who switched to Mac about a year ago totally enthusiastic about the transition, the entire experience has been one huge let down. With OS X Tiger, there was NO customization resources like windows, aside from Shapeshifter which is also pathetic. I thought Leopard would be better with all of its 'new' features and upgrades. WRONG. You talk about BORING. Talk about a waste of money and a year; you guys can have your macs, I'm OVER it.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2007, 05:05 AM

^ Keep 'em comin'.

PimPamPet
Nov 1, 2007, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by DankOnlee21 View Post
Leopard is a huge disappointment. In fact, as a windows user who switched to Mac about a year ago totally enthusiastic about the transition, the entire experience has been one huge let down. With OS X Tiger, there was NO customization resources like windows, aside from Shapeshifter which is also pathetic. I thought Leopard would be better with all of its 'new' features and upgrades. WRONG. You talk about BORING. Talk about a waste of money and a year; you guys can have your macs, I'm OVER it.
Why bother us then with your rants? If you're over it, you're over it!
I myself am a strong believer that with the new road Apple has taken with vector based elements we have a new future ahead of us, along with a truckload of new possibilities in theming. All beginnings are hard, but luckily for us there are people around these forums that actually love to tinker around in the GUI department.
I say: Let them and in just a few months time it wil be PRETTY!

(As for theming: It's hardly ever been easier to change the look of the dock. I myself who doesn't know the first thing about theming have changed the look of my 3D dock twice now. Love it!! )

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2007, 06:27 PM

SArtFile.bin seems to contain, following a header that I haven't made much sense of yet, a bunch of concatenated PNG files. I used a hex editor to copy everything from one PNG header (0x89504e47) to the next, and saved that to a file. The resulting file was a valid PNG that I was able to open in Preview. The first thing in SArtFile seems to be an Apple menu graphic.

I suspect that the GUI could be tweaked by replacing PNG segments in SArtFile with equal-sized (in terms of bytes) PNGs. Using arbitrary PNGs would probably require figuring out the SArtFile header, since it likely contains offsets to various images in the file.

Later tonight I will probably write a quick script to extract all the PNGs from the SArtFile, take a look at them, and possibly try my hand at some modding.

UPDATE: There are some PDFs in there too.
( Last edited by Tesseract; Nov 1, 2007 at 08:52 PM. )

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2007, 08:56 PM

News update:

The SArtFile contains 104 PNG images and 91 PDFs. Among the elements that seem to be contained in it are: the Apple menu image, some bezel graphics, various gradients, the magnifying glass that goes in search fields, and the drawer borders. Most of the main elements are not present in this file, unfortunately. The ArtFile is bigger and looks more promising - its header has strings in it that appear to identify things like buttons and scroll bars. Unfortunately the ArtFile format is not as simple as the SArtFile's and I have not been able to extract any graphics yet.

defsquad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2007, 10:20 AM

well done tesseract. at the very least, changing the main apple menu image would make me happy. that and shrinking the stop light globes. thanks for your hard work and doing the dirty work for us

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 3, 2007, 11:29 AM

I have two partitions with OS X installed. One I am messing with, one I am not. I do have the one's bars changed.

So it's possible. I hear Unsanity is getting SS to work eventually too.
Now if I can just get inputmanagers to work right..

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 3, 2007, 11:46 AM

BTW here is some more Apple consistency.

Lovely.

StefanKa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2007, 12:09 PM

@Kevin
MenuBar? How?

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 3, 2007, 12:43 PM

Steph I don't have an Mac that supports the blurry transparent menu feature.

Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2007, 02:52 PM

Have you gotten the Unified scrollbars done, Kevin?

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 3, 2007, 02:53 PM

Time Machine's PNG's are stored in

/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/Finder.rsrc

There are ways of extracting the PNGs if you know how

autumnrayne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2007, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post

There are ways of extracting the PNGs if you know how
for the lost: ThemePark - Geekspiff is one solution.
all we were, and are we have done- just zeros and ones.

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 4, 2007, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
Have you gotten the Unified scrollbars done, Kevin?
Yes. The unified scroll bars are now working in my version of 10.5. Working on the scroll thumbs now.

Once I get it all finished, I will offer it to whoever is brave enough to use it.

(Not that it takes that much bravery...)

Safari and the finder already look so much better...

I wont go into how the MacNN theme matches the scroll bars.

Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2007, 12:41 PM

Yay! Can't wait for them

Kevin  (op)
Baninated
Nov 4, 2007, 01:37 PM

Well I am going to do the scroll bars and scroll thumbs and then give it out. I plan on doing more to it, but I think I'll keep the rest of the changes to myself. Oh and I doubt I apply the bars to the "aqua" theme. That way if you ever want to go back to Aqua, you can just switch.. .

Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2007, 01:55 PM

Scroll bars and scroll thumbs would mean the scrollbars and scroll arrows, right? That's all I need.

Forum Links
Forum Rules