Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Creating Icons For Leopard

Creating Icons For Leopard
bstock86
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2007, 09:54 PM

I was wondering if someone could let me in on what I need to know when creating icons for Leopard. I've searched all over the web and all I've found out is that they should be 512x512 pixels and smaller. However, I've created numerous icons and they just don't look right in Cover Flow (I'm assuming that's where I would be able to see the 512x512 icons). I've been designing icons for about 2 years, so I'm flabbergasted that I can't figure this out. There's a chance that I'm retarded, but I'm crossing my fingers LOL. Anyway, any help at all would be great. Thanks a lot.

autumnrayne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2007, 10:17 PM

i use fireworks and set the canvas to transparent. leave yourself some space around the icon and then take the resulting PNG file and drag it into icon composer (in the dev tools). dunno, what doesn't look right about them?
all we were, and are we have done- just zeros and ones.

~bash $
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2007, 10:46 PM

In the developer tools is a new(?) program called Icon Composer. May want to check it out. You can find it in '/Developer/Applications/Utilities' assuming you've installed XCode 3.0 in '/Developer/'.

bstock86  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2007, 03:11 AM

Thanks a lot guys! I totally forgot to install the Developer Tools (I'm not good with the developing side, so I stick to designing). I'm glad Icon Composer finally got a new icon HAHA. Thanks again for all of the help.

Forum Links
Forum Rules